Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, i've decided to take S1 instead of M2 in A2, but what exactally does it involve? I've never actually done statistics (apart from simple statistics such as mean, mode, median, etc)

ReputationRep:
    AQA:
    Normal Distribution
    Binomial Distribution
    Probability
    Correlation & Regression
    Standard Deviation, Mean, Median, Variance (forgot the collective term, Measures of _______?)

There's probably something I've missed which is a whole sub-topic, I just cannot think, check out your specifications to find out.

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board?

ReputationRep:
    from what i hear s1 is supposed to be boring compared to m2 !!! why did you decide to change anyway ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    So, i've decided to take S1 instead of M2 in A2, but what exactally does it involve? I've never actually done statistics (apart from simple statistics such as mean, mode, median, etc)
    prepared to be shocked and bored out of your mind :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing Edexcel, It will be the easiest Maths module ever!

Theres around 1-2 tricky chapters but the rest is ok.

ReputationRep:
    I found it really easy (edexcel). The Normal Distribution and probability chapter that throw up a few new ideas. Everything else is almost GCSE. Regression and correlation is just number crunching so that isn't too difficult.

ReputationRep:
    yep lot of numbers that you just stick into formula

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry about it, if you have done AS maths, you should find it okay.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing S1 in AS Further Maths next year on AQA. That list of topics looks pretty easy. As for being boring, it can't be any worse than D1 can it? I mean "lets teach you four different long winded ways of sorting numbers from smallest to largest" on AQA, the only remotely interesting thing was the linear programming bit.

ReputationRep:
    S1 is a nice easy module. The only tricky bit is perhaps parts of the probability but usually the exam Q's that actually come up on probability are far easier than those in the book. HTe hardest part of s!, is the fact that because of long calculations its easy to make silly arithmetic mistakes. But all in all, if youve done AS, you'll find S1 a doddle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bring_it_on)
    S1 is a nice easy module. The only tricky bit is perhaps parts of the probability but usually the exam Q's that actually come up on probability are far easier than those in the book. HTe hardest part of s!, is the fact that because of long calculations its easy to make silly arithmetic mistakes. But all in all, if youve done AS, you'll find S1 a doddle!
    Do the book. (All of the book.)

Be aware of what's given in the formula book.

Learn what's not in the formula book.

No sweat.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Yeh! S1 is good! Probability isn't well explained in the heineman book for me though, and is usually the last/hardest q on the paper:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenratio)
    Yeh! S1 is good! Probability isn't well explained in the heineman book for me though, and is usually the last/hardest q on the paper:
    Page from Black's Academy on [Edexcel S1] probability. Not bad as additional notes:

http://www.blacksacademy.co.uk/data/MAQAPR11.pdf

Aitch

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.