Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, i want to study Psychology at university, but i've noticed that some offer psychology + [another subject], and some offer just Psychology... for the combined courses, would you study the same amount of psychology that is covered in the single course? Also, what are the advantages of taking a combined course? Finally, would it be stupid to combine psychology with Maths or ICT, as i know many would probally choose another language, or sociology, or biology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    ok, i want to study Psychology at university, but i've noticed that some offer psychology + [another subject], and some offer just Psychology... for the combined courses, would you study the same amount of psychology that is covered in the single course? Also, what are the advantages of taking a combined course? Finally, would it be stupid to combine psychology with Maths or ICT, as i know many would probally choose another language, or sociology, or biology...
    If a student studies a joint honours degree they will study half of the modules of the single degree...psychology and ICT is not really a strange combination...would be helpful for things like human computer interaction, consultancy or training.

ReputationRep:
    Advantages - Variety! If, like me, you get bored rather easily when having to focus on one thing, doing joint honours really will prevent boredom setting in. It will also mean that you don't really become blinkered in the way you look at things.

Disadvantages - When you come to choose your modules, you may have less of a choice than those who are studying just the one subject in depth.

ReputationRep:
    In a joint honours degree, you study half of the single honours content for each subject, and in some degrees you can aslo choose to major in one subject and minor in the other. Joint degrees would be called, for example, psychology and maths whereas a major/minor degree would be called psychology with maths. If you think you might get bored studying just psychology for 3 years, it would be good to take a combined degree so you could study something else as well. They may give you more job opportunities later on as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)

Disadvantages - When you come to choose your modules, you may have less of a choice than those who are studying just the one subject in depth.
    So long as i dont have to choose any Biology related modules, ill be fine with that, thanks

Shame the modules are split in half, does this mean that if i were to apply for a psychology related job/further education, they would prefer a student with a signle degree?

ReputationRep:
    So long as i dont have to choose any Biology related modules, ill be fine with that, thanks

Shame the modules are split in half, does this mean that if i were to apply for a psychology related job/further education, they would prefer a student with a signle degree?
    Not necessarily. They may prefer to accept someone who has breadth. Studying just one subject could result in a blinkered student.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do ICT.

ReputationRep:

Every man and his dog graduates with a psychology degree these days....having another subject to offer (as long as you choose wisely) will definitely be beneficial to your job applications.

ReputationRep:
    I did a combined honours degree and I was seen as a more attractive candidate for jobs, courses etc because I wasn't limited to one subject.

At MMU you can do a named route degree where you study 50:50 in the first year, 75:25 in the second year and only your chosen subject in the third year. This gives you the wider subject base and the named BSc. Other uni's may well do this it may be worth looking into it (if you don't want to go to MMU)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Don't do ICT.
    any reason why not?

ICT is now used in a large variety jobs, so it is a good skill to have.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought a combined degree has worse jobs prospects than a single subject... For example, Economics & Government would be very good if you want to work in Politics but a Economics degree would be better if you want to work in banks, companies, stock exchange, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Jassmine, I've applied to do a combined honours degree involving psychology and sociology etc. My application was late for entry Sept 2005, (30th June) (because I dropped out of Manchester Uni late this year after my first year as I hated it.) I know Psychology at ManMet is competitive because they're filled up by now and no places arise in clearing. But, do you reckon my chances of getting in are okay for a combined course, as they were still available in UCAS Extra? And do you know whether combined honours involving psychology are ever available through clearing?
    I'm real stressed. So sorry about all the questions.

I think if a uni offers the choice that ManMet does for example, that would be pretty cool. Plus I'm sure job prospects are good as you have more to your name and more variety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megalomaniac)
    Jassmine, I've applied to do a combined honours degree involving psychology and sociology etc. My application was late for entry Sept 2005, (30th June) (because I dropped out of Manchester Uni late this year after my first year as I hated it.) I know Psychology at ManMet is competitive because they're filled up by now and no places arise in clearing. But, do you reckon my chances of getting in are okay for a combined course, as they were still available in UCAS Extra? And do you know whether combined honours involving psychology are ever available through clearing?
    I'm real stressed. So sorry about all the questions.

I think if a uni offers the choice that ManMet does for example, that would be pretty cool. Plus I'm sure job prospects are good as you have more to your name and more variety.
    I am afraid I don't know about UCAS extra as I went to uni before that scheme started. From what I have heard psychology clearing places anywhere are like hens teeth.

I should think if places are avaliable through UCAS extra the chances should be good.

If you want to know a bit about my experience of the CH at MMU I am one of the people in the case studies on the website. I didn't do psychology myself but a few of my friends did and the said it was a really good course. If I can be of any more help just let me know (not that I was that useful)

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. They may prefer to accept someone who has breadth. Studying just one subject could result in a blinkered student.
    To the twit who took offence and neg-repped me for the above post - you are obviously blinkered yourself as you didn't take much note of the word could. I hardly condemned all students who study a single subject. Honestly, some people :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    To the twit who took offence and neg-repped me for the above post - you are obviously blinkered yourself as you didn't take much note of the word could. I hardly condemned all students who study a single subject. Honestly, some people :rolleyes:
    Lol don't worry about it, there are many people on here who like to give neg rep for no real reason :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    *hugs spangletastic*

ill rep you in 24 hours to make up the difference

ReputationRep:
    *hugs spangletastic*

ill rep you in 24 hours to make up the difference
    Hehe, my saviour

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.