Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obviously in the US there is a market for this idiot to spout her racist and xenophobic views..

ReputationRep:
    Alexandel said:
    Obviously in the US there is a market for this idiot to sput her racist and xenophobic views..
    Unfortunately in the US there is a large market for flag-waving, inaccurate xenophobic ranting. It is why Fox news is so popular. A large amount of Americans are poorly educated with regards to international affairs and are brought up in a ridiculously patriotic way. They prefer entertaining news as opposed to accurate news. This is exactly why Coulter and her idiotic type are allowed a platform to spout their garbage.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean we can conclude that the French are idiots since a book claiming that 9/11 was carried out by the US government was the French best-seller for several months?

(Original post by Iz the Wiz)
    She's hot though. I'd like to boff her.
    Me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivado)
    Ah, but I never said that an individual's public speaking skill (obviously the basic requirement for being a persuasive politician for that matter due to the nature of the job) is reflective of anyone's intelligence. So get that straight in your brain. In other words, in the teminology of mathematical logic for conditional claims, it is clear I did not say that public speaking skill is a necessary condition for intelligence. However, from my experience, I think it can be statistically observed to be true that public speaking skill is a sufficient condition for intelligence.
    For the rest of us who dont have the time to recycle this, speaking ability isnt reflective of intelligence but speaking ability is a "sufficient condition for intelligence"?

(Original post by MMA)
    Alexandel said:

Unfortunately in the US there is a large market for flag-waving, inaccurate xenophobic ranting. It is why Fox news is so popular. A large amount of Americans are poorly educated with regards to international affairs and are brought up in a ridiculously patriotic way. They prefer entertaining news as opposed to accurate news. This is exactly why Coulter and her idiotic type are allowed a platform to spout their garbage.
    MMA, I see you're clueless in terms of the above rant. Are you from France?

Edited to add....I'm sure you prefer the Michael Moore, Chevy Chase, **** Durbin, al Frankin and Howard Dean types.

ReputationRep:
    Bismarck:
    Does that mean we can conclude that the French are idiots since a book claiming that 9/11 was carried out by the US government was the French best-seller for several months?
    No, becasue that book did not sell that well. It is not difficult to be a bestseller nowadays. In comparison Fox news channel is the most popular cable news channel in the US. This reveals a lot about the American mindset.

Douglas said:
    MMA, I see you're clueless in terms of the above rant. Are you from France?
    If you think I'm clueless explain why. It seems the most you can contribute to the discussion is the fact that you would 'boff' Coulter. And no I'm not from France although a certain forumite who posted before you seems to be, so I wouldn't be too offensive.

(Original post by MMA)
    Bismarck: It seems the most you can contribute to the discussion is the fact that you would 'boff' Coulter.
    Apparently you haven't read the whole thread.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.anncoulter.org/cgi-local/...age=ann_al.jpg

What are they thinking right now?

http://www.anncoulter.org/cgi-local/...ann_berlin.jpg

Her true job..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Bismarck:

No, becasue that book did not sell that well. It is not difficult to be a bestseller nowadays. In comparison Fox news channel is the most popular cable news channel in the US. This reveals a lot about the American mindset.
    What's your point? Coulter appears on Fox perhaps once a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Bismarck:

How can a single journalist, however offensive and controversial you may find her, reflect the 'mindset' of a country as large and diverse as the US. The Sun is the best selling newspaper in the UK. Does this 'reveal a lot' about our 'mindset'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    In comparison Fox news channel is the most popular cable news channel in the US. This reveals a lot about the American mindset.
    Generally conservative and to the right - I think the US election is more indicative of that. Youre not suggesting that being conservative and generally right wing means I am in the market for "flag-waving, inaccurate xenophobic ranting"? Am I "poorly educated with regards to international affairs and are brought up in a ridiculously patriotic way"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Do Sun and Daily Mail prefer entertainining news, accurate news or no news at all? Are Big Brother viewers educated with regards to international affairs? Does the US have a state hegemony over media broadcasting, which makes it an offense not to pay for what is among the most biased newsdesks in the land? Did an American newspaper unwittingly hire a terrorist appeaser to write an article in its pages just days after a terrorist attack on its people? Are the American people embarassed to wave their own national flag because they live in a society where national pride is equated, by the tolerant and educated population, with racism? I think you see my point is that you could apply the same generalised bile to our very dear nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Are Big Brother viewers educated with regards to international affairs?
    :dong:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Unfortunately in the US there is a large market for flag-waving, inaccurate xenophobic ranting. It is why Fox news is so popular.
    That's not why fox news is so popular. I know a lot of liberals that love watching fox news. If only conservatives watched fox new then the station would have folded it's tent a long time ago. The 49% of Americans that voted for Kerry are also watching.

I think it's because of the good-looking news babes, the flashy graphics, and, best of all, the people on that are not afraid to mix it up with guests. They don't have a sycophant like Larry King giving softball interviews to their guests. If a guest does comes on and gets off track or starts acting like a fool, they get challenged.

ReputationRep:
    The 49% of Americans that voted for Kerry are also watching.
    Liberals voted for Kerry? Most of America is right wing, Republican or Democrat. Not that I'm saying its a bad thing. But it does make them more patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Liberals voted for Kerry? Most of America is right wing, Republican or Democrat. Not that I'm saying its a bad thing. But it does make them more patriotic.
    Most of Britain is right wing, Tory or Labour. Does that make us more patriotic? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Not all of us are that conservative. It's true that your typical democrat is probably pretty far to the right by European standards, but there are some people living in the US that are very left wing. Michael Moore, for example, is someone that would be considered liberal in just about any western country.

ReputationRep:
    Liberal doesn't = left wing

I'd describe myself as very left wing but I wouldn't describe myself as a liberal. In British terms on the liberal/conservative scale I'd say I was in the middle. So they don't correspond sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Bellacat said:
    How can a single journalist, however offensive and controversial you may find her, reflect the 'mindset' of a country as large and diverse as the US. The Sun is the best selling newspaper in the UK. Does this 'reveal a lot' about our 'mindset'?
    I didn't say a single journalist relected the mindset of a country. What I said was that the most popular cable news channel, Fox news, refelected the mindset of the country. Also to some extent The Sun does reveal the mindset of this country as well although many people who buy the Sun know that it is not the greatest news source in the world. Unfortunatley, people prefer entertaining news to accurate news.

Vienna siad:
    Generally conservative and to the right - I think the US election is more indicative of that. Youre not suggesting that being conservative and generally right wing means I am in the market for "flag-waving, inaccurate xenophobic ranting"? Am I "poorly educated with regards to international affairs and are brought up in a ridiculously patriotic way"?
    No, becaue Fox news and Coulter are not simply Conservative and right wing. Fox news and Coulter are inaccurate flag-waving xenophobes. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on this. I am not saying that everyone who watches Fox news is poorly educated but to use it as a serious news source ,which a large amount of American's do, suggest that they are not the brightest when it comes to international affairs.

Made in the USA said:
    I think it's because of the good-looking news babes, the flashy graphics, and, best of all, the people on that are not afraid to mix it up with guests. They don't have a sycophant like Larry King giving softball interviews to their guests. If a guest does comes on and gets off track or starts acting like a fool, they get challenged.
    Yes, as I have said people prefer entertaining news as opposed to accurate news. This is true in the US where due to people's lack of international education they are easily swayed by propaganda news channels like Fox news. Americans are notably easy to influence- look at how many have become Chritian fundamentalists in the South becaue of some black preachers who spout complete ***** to them every Sunday.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.