Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    No, becaue Fox news and Coulter are not simply Conservative and right wing. Fox news and Coulter are inaccurate flag-waving xenophobes. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on this. I am not saying that everyone who watches Fox news is poorly educated but to use it as a serious news source ,which a large amount of American's do, suggest that they are not the brightest when it comes to international affairs.
    Fox News and Coulter? Why are you lumping in Fox News and Ann Coulter together. Fox News may have a bit of a right wing bias, but the way they present information is nothing like the way Ann Coulter does. You've either never read an Ann Coulter column or you have never watched Fox News, or probably both. That's like me putting CNN and Michael Moore in the same sentence.

(Original post by MMA)
    Yes, as I have said people prefer entertaining news as opposed to accurate news. This is true in the US where due to people's lack of international education they are easily swayed by propaganda news channels like Fox news. Americans are notably easy to influence- look at how many have become Chritian fundamentalists in the South becaue of some black preachers who spout complete ***** to them every Sunday.
    What about your lack of international education? The USA is part of the world and you (and, in all fairness, most of the other member of TSR) obviously don't know the first thing about the US or Americans, which is quite clear in your postings.

As for propaganda news channels, what about anti-american propaganda machines like the BBC?

"America is often portrayed as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge. I know that is how it is portrayed because I have done my bit to paint that picture..." BBC's Washington correspondent Justin Webb, in a remarkably frank admission of his role in misinforming the British public about America and Americans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    No, becaue Fox news and Coulter are not simply Conservative and right wing. Fox news and Coulter are inaccurate flag-waving xenophobes. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on this. I am not saying that everyone who watches Fox news is poorly educated but to use it as a serious news source ,which a large amount of American's do, suggest that they are not the brightest when it comes to international affairs.
    In what way is Fox News xenophobic or unacceptably patriotic?

What do the brightest watch?

Are Sun or Daily Mail readers bright? Should I assume that because they are popular media sources, a Brit such as yourself is accordingly knowledgable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Fan)
    Yes, as I have said people prefer entertaining news as opposed to accurate news. This is true in the US where due to people's lack of international education they are easily swayed by propaganda news channels like Fox news. Americans are notably easy to influence- look at how many have become Chritian fundamentalists in the South becaue of some black preachers who spout complete ***** to them every Sunday.
    "America is often portrayed as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge. I know that is how it is portrayed because I have done my bit to paint that picture..." BBC's Washington correspondent Justin Webb, in a remarkably frank admission of his role in misinforming the British public about America and Americans
    Now that's what I call irony

ReputationRep:
    Made in the USA said:
    Fox News and Coulter? Why are you lumping in Fox News and Ann Coulter together. Fox News may have a bit of a right wing bias, but the way they present information is nothing like the way Ann Coulter does. You've either never read an Ann Coulter column or you have never watched Fox News, or probably both. That's like me putting CNN and Michael Moore in the same sentence.
    Everytime I turn Fox news on Coulter seems to be on. She is always on the two most popular shows on Fox news, at least onhce a month. In comparison Moore is rarely on CNN.

Vienna said:
    Are Sun or Daily Mail readers bright? Should I assume that because they are popular media sources, a Brit such as yourself is accordingly knowledgable?
    What you should assume is that there are a lot of British people who are not particularly well informed on current affairs and international issues if their sole news source is the The Sun or Daily Mail. I never at any point said that 'all' Americans were poorly educated with regards to international issues.

JonD said:
    Now that's what I call irony
    Maybe it is more than coincedence. Perhaps the reason people think these things about the US is becasue these things are true.

ReputationRep:
    A round of applause for Justin Webb please...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    What you should assume is that there are a lot of British people who are not particularly well informed on current affairs and international issues if their sole news source is the The Sun or Daily Mail. I never at any point said that 'all' Americans were poorly educated with regards to international issues.
    "suggest that they are not the brightest when it comes to international affairs"

So assuming 'they' to mean 'some americans', and 'that there are a lot of British people who are not particularly well informed on current affairs and international issues'. Whats the point?

(Original post by MMA)
    No, becaue Fox news and Coulter are not simply Conservative and right wing. Fox news and Coulter are inaccurate flag-waving xenophobes. I don't think anyone will disagree with me on this.
    From reading your posts, I doubt that you've ever watched Fox or heard of Ann Coulter prior to this thread.

Can you name the Fox news evening lineup and informl me of their political ideology??

ReputationRep:
    Vienna said:
    So assuming 'they' to mean 'some americans', and 'that there are a lot of British people who are not particularly well informed on current affairs and international issues'. Whats the point?
    My point was that this would expain why people watch Coulter and Fox news.

Douglas said:
    From reading your posts, I doubt that you've ever watched Fox or heard of Ann Coulter prior to this thread.
    CAn you name their evening line-up and political ideology.
    Are you some sort of idiot? Why the hell would I be talking about the issue if I had never seen Coulter or Fox news. In fact I was the one who brought up Fox news. For your information I have seen Fox news and Coulter many times, since 2000. Probably before most others on this board. I suspect that you have barely watched the channel, as you need me to describe to you the evening line up.
    The evening line up is Bill O'Reilly- who said we should carpet bomb the middle-east after September 11th (I watched that show), Hannity and Colmes-the show where we have a right-wing nut against a timid so-called 'liberal' and Greta van Susteran- a more neutral crime show. Their political ideology is strictly Conservative, right-wing mixed with entertainment, flag-waving and xenophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    My point was that this would expain why people watch Coulter and Fox news.
    oh, I thought you were trying to give us some insight into the American mindset,

"This reveals a lot about the American mindset."

which apparently must also be the British mindset aswell, and probably the mindset of every other set of people that watch 'entertainment news' yet you havent bothered to mention.

yet "I never at any point said that 'all' Americans were poorly educated with regards to international issues."

which leaves your first comment rather redundant anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna said:
    oh, I thought you were trying to give us some insight into the American mindset,
    "This reveals a lot about the American mindset."
    which apparently must also be the British mindset aswell, and probably the mindset of every other set of people that watch 'entertainment news' yet you havent bothered to mention.
    yet "I never at any point said that 'all' Americans were poorly educated with regards to international issues."
    which leaves your first comment rather redundant anyway.
    You seem to misundertand the point I am trying to make. What I was sasying was that the reason the Americans, who watch Fox news, believe their propaganda is that they have not got a well-rounded education with regards to international affairs. In turn, I was saying this reveals a lot about these American's mindset. Now considering Fox news is the most popular cable news channel in the USA and that they have voted in George Bush in twice I think that is fair that I can genralise and say the 'American mindset'. Once again I stress that there are always exceptions and there are perfectly intelligent Americans out there.
    Anyway you are attempting to divert the debate away from Coulter. I wonder what you think about some of Coulter's quotes. I posted some of them a few pages back. Now tell me what you think of Coulter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    You seem to misundertand the point I am trying to make. What I was sasying was that the reason the Americans, who watch Fox news, believe their propaganda is that they have not got a well-rounded education with regards to international affairs. In turn, I was saying this reveals a lot about these American's mindset.
    I didnt misunderstand it, you misrepresented it and have now altered it.

Now considering Fox news is the most popular cable news channel in the USA and that they have voted in George Bush in twice I think that is fair that I can genralise and say the 'American mindset'. Once again I stress that there are always exceptions and there are perfectly intelligent Americans out there.
    Which I clearly didnt misunderstand because you've gone back to the generalisation. As I also pointed out, this 'American mindset' must also be the 'British mindset' and the 'Dutch mindset' and the 'Australian mindset', which you havent pointed out. What you really mean to say is that this is the mindset of those who prefer 'entertainment based television', irrespective of nationality and political affliation.

Anyway you are attempting to divert the debate away from Coulter.
    Im responding to your comments, if you didnt make the comments I wouldnt respond to the diversion.

I wonder what you think about some of Coulter's quotes. I posted some of them a few pages back. Now tell me what you think of Coulter.
    Intelligent, speaks her mind, confident, attractive, succesful.

ReputationRep:
    You could say the same about Galloway (i find him VERY attractive) but this doesn't mean you like him.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna said:
    Intelligent, speaks her mind, confident, attractive, succesful.
    Some quotes from the person you seem to think is so intelligent. Maybe these comments might make you change your opinion.

On September 11th:
    'We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.'

Racism:
    'but they can also be checked with the home country in case of any suspicious-looking swarthy males'
    'Congress could pass a law tomorrow requiring that all aliens (legal) from Arabic countries leave'

On Women: (the only thing I agree with her on )
    'I think [women] should be armed but should not vote ... women have no capacity to understand how money is earned.'
    'It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact.'

On Environment:
    'The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man's dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet -- it's yours. That's our job: drilling, mining and stripping. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars -- that's the Biblical view'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Some quotes from the person you seem to think is so intelligent. Maybe these comments might make you change your opinion.

On September 11th:
    'We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.'

Racism:
    'but they can also be checked with the home country in case of any suspicious-looking swarthy males'
    'Congress could pass a law tomorrow requiring that all aliens (legal) from Arabic countries leave'

'I think [women] should be armed but should not vote ... women have no capacity to understand how money is earned.'
    'It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact.'

On Environment:
    'The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man's dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet -- it's yours. That's our job: drilling, mining and stripping. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars -- that's the Biblical view'
    Have you read any of Coulter's books? I'm 3/4 of the way through "how to talk to a liberal, if you must" and what makes the books fun is that she is all about overstated hyperbole and sarcasm. You know how people say things such as "he weighs a ton" or "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse." Everything she says has the usual exaggeration for comic effect that people find so entertaining. Set aside your political correctness and stop taking her literally and you will see that her arguments are all based on solid premises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    You could say the same about Galloway (i find him VERY attractive) but this doesn't mean you like him.
    No :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMA)
    Vienna said:

On September 11th:
    I read her columns reguarly, Ive seen her interviewed, I know what shes said. Some of it is outrageous, but it mostly hits at a real point she wants to make.

i )The US was attacked, this was an act of war. It *should* by rights, engage in war.
    ii) These terrorists are the product of their society. Change the society

Racism:
    If I remember rightly she was criticising airport security for intentionally refusing to racially profile. It seems common sense to treat 4 young Syrians with one way tickets with more suspicion than a Norwegian family. I dont think thats an outrageous demand.

hehe, it might be a better country, women are far more liberal than men for a variety of reasons and tend to vote Democrat. Why? I dont really think its a particuarly interesting or insightful comment. It wouldnt be democratic, but thats irrelevant to the remark. Being a woman herself, I dont honestly believe she would deny women the right to vote.

On Environment:
    I'll take her word for it.

(Original post by MMA)
    Their political ideology is strictly Conservative, right-wing mixed with entertainment, flag-waving and xenophobia.
    Greta is a liberal.
    Any examples of xenophobia?

As a news anchor, compare Shep Smith with Peter Jennings

What's the difference between Bill O'reilly and Bill Moyers??

(Original post by MMA)
    I wonder what you think about some of Coulter's quotes. I posted some of them a few pages back. Now tell me what you think of Coulter.
    Coulter is a satirist, the libs call her a mean partisan political commentator. Any dope watching her knows she's a satirist.

edited to add..... she know her stuff, she garnishes her facts, but they're fundamentally true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    I read her columns reguarly, Ive seen her interviewed, I know what shes said. Some of it is outrageous, but it mostly hits at a real point she wants to make.

i )The US was attacked, this was an act of war. It *should* by rights, engage in war.
    So who is the agressor? Every country that doesnt agree with the US? War against whom? Also this means that you agree with the IRaqi resistance

(Original post by Vienna)
    ii) These terrorists are the product of their society. Change the society
    Who the hell are you to change other people's societies? And then you wonder why people are preapred to blow themselves up, its this kind of attitude that recruits terrorists..

Neither like or dislike...mainly cause I don't know her.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.