The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Vienna

Im offended by neither. The latter shows no deliberate malice. The former clearly does. If you feel strongly about ST's comments, im sure you would get much greater support, more own included, if you discredited them with good argument.

Weren't you the one who neg rep'd me for saying 'The utter nonsense is the fact that you have no clue why the conflict took place in the first place but read newsflash stories'..

You are not offended by insults towards the general muslim population yet you find the above statement worse than the two?
Reply 121
Tonight Matthew
What if one's opinion is, "ST, you're a moron"?

I would assume one could recognise the difference between offering genuine opinion as part of a discussion and offering a direct personal insult with the sole intention of offending that subject. Calling someone a moron is an insult, whether you believe them to be a moron or not. In the interests of this forum, I dont see what that brings to a discussion.
Reply 122
How does that work? If we disagree strongly about something we demonstrate it to be what we claim it to be. Its not hard to demonstrate intolerance, ignorance and racism, just as it isnt difficult to spot an insult.

If we allow people to preach hatred and violence then we are betraying the people being attacked.
Words turn to actions far too easily for me to accept bigoted views.
Reply 123
Vienna
I would assume one could recognise the difference between offering genuine opinion as part of a discussion and offering a direct personal insult with the sole intention of offending that subject. Calling someone a moron is an insult, whether you believe them to be a moron or not. In the interests of this forum, I dont see what that brings to a discussion.

Yet you neg rep when I expressed an opinion that you had no clue about the situation saying 'repeated personal remarks'....
Reply 124
Speleo
If we allow people to preach hatred and violence then we are betraying the people being attacked.
Words turn to actions far too easily for me to accept bigoted views.

I personally find that offends my sensibilities and belief in free speech. I dont intend to shut you down. Id rather hatred and violence was discredited in an open, free domain then suppressed underground to seed its evil on the back of martyrdom. Which, in a very subtle way, has happened in this case.
Reply 125
Vienna
I personally find that offends my sensibilities and belief in free speech. I dont intend to shut you down. Id rather hatred and violence was discredited in an open, free domain then suppressed underground to seed its evil on the back of martyrdom. Which, in a very subtle way, has happened in this case.

Funny way of showing such belief when it comes to yourself...

It would be very nice to hear your thought on how you differentiate between insults on the muslim population and saying 'The utter nonsense is the fact that you have no clue why the conflict took place in the first place but read newsflash stories.' is a personal remark.

What a nice way of showing your support for free speech then
Reply 126
Alexdel
Yet you neg rep when I expressed an opinion that you had no clue about the situation saying 'repeated personal remarks'....

I neg repped you a considerable time ago for repeated insults towards another member. Ill happy to do the same again.
Reply 127

I think that political freedoms are important, but human/civil rights trump them by a long shot.
Reply 128
Vienna
I neg repped you a considerable time ago for repeated insults towards another member. Ill happy to do the same again.

Well then show us ....because I have yet to find these personal remarks...

Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you couldnt stand my stance on the issue and resorted to the rep button.

Im still waiting on an answer to the question I asked you prior to this reply..
Reply 129
Speleo
I think that political freedoms are important, but human/civil rights trump them by a long shot.

Free speech is a human right.
Reply 130
Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you couldnt stand my stance on the issue and resorted to the rep button.

Youre right.
Reply 131
Vienna
Youre right.

Waiting for answer as to how you consider 'The utter nonsense is the fact that you have no clue why the conflict took place in the first place but read newsflash stories.' or 'You are a moron' which was directed against a well know racists, more offensive than insults on the general muslim population.

Come on it's been 4 replies now..
Reply 132
Free speech is a human right.

But not the most important.
Reply 133
Alexdel
Waiting for answer as to how you consider 'The utter nonsense is the fact that you have no clue why the conflict took place in the first place but read newsflash stories.' or 'You are a moron' which was directed against a well know racists, more offensive than insults on the general muslim population.

I didnt say they were more or less offensive.
Reply 134
Vienna
I didnt say they were more or less offensive.

Vienna
Straight Talker, his/her posts are neither personal or malicious. Ive had to report several counts of insults, yours included, that in my opinion are far more of a threat to this forum and good debate

Reply 135
Alexdel

Indeed.

"..more or less offensive."
"..more of a threat to good debate"
Reply 136
Vienna
Indeed.

Thanks for proving my point..
Reply 137
Alexdel
Thanks for porving my point..