Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im a little concerned with the security of the accomodation of the universities if u got stereos, tvs, mobile phone, laptop etc. not to mention clothes etc. is it secure. I will go to bath or cardiff. Can anyone help me on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Everything at the universities I've visited seem pretty darn secure. You need a card to get into student residences, a different card to actually get into the individual flat etc. Just as long as you don't have any lightfingered flatmates and you don't leave your doors and windows wide open to attract any passing burglars you should be fine.

Check out insurance offers, though

ReputationRep:
    You just have to be careful. I remember when I was in halls the first year hearing about people on the ground floor who had their windows open and left their mobiles on the window sill and they got swiped. You've just gotta think about things.

Just remember to lock the door to your room everytime you go out ... they've gotta get through 3 locked doors to get to your room so even if someone lets them into your block/house and one of your flatmates has propped the flat door open ... they still can't get in your room.

I always felt secure in my accomodation at Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    Can't comment on Cardiff, but Bath's really secure. Like the others said, as long as you're careful about shutting windows etc when you go out, you'll be fine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As long as you think about safety it'll be OK. But get insurance just in case, as it's about £40 a year.

You'll probably have a safety talkor get booklets, but it's all common sense really.

ReputationRep:
    get insured.

Last year in my hall a few people got laptops etc taken. For the sake of £100 or so (most people usually end up paying less but comprehensive laptop insurance adds on a whack ) its easier and less worrying to get it.

Endsleigh aren't too great an insurers though- I found cover4students to be cheap when in halls and saxon to be cheap last year in my house.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and when I was in halls at Cardiff insurance for the year was included in the accomodation costs ... they'll probably still be doing that

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.