Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I must admit, one of our locals does have outside toilets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    I must admit, one of our locals does have outside toilets
    :eek: In my old house one of our downstairs toilets was outside actually. It was still attached to the house but you needed to walk out of the kitchen porch to get to it. It was for the gardener or any work men I believe. Bit random!

ReputationRep:
    My grandma's got an outside toilet too, but she's in the Midlands. As for the local, they have a bird that nests in the mens cubicle every year Still, I love the pub, friendly landlord, and you can get a pint of bitter for £1.20.

ReputationRep:
    Aww. Slightly unhygienic, but aww. When it comes to the price of alcohol, the north wins hands down. And also chips. Can I noooo get a decent portion of chips down south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Aww. Slightly unhygienic, but aww. When it comes to the price of alcohol, the north wins hands down. And also chips. Can I noooo get a decent portion of chips down south.
    Yeah, we've got loads of Sam Smith's pubs round here, York in particular, and they kick arse. They never advertise, so they're soooo cheap. I went to one of theirs in Manchester, and paid £1.50 for a pint bang in the city centre.

ReputationRep:
    cheap booze in the north, £20 a bloody round in the travel lodge London docklands!!
    compared to £1.10 a pint in the social club along the road

ReputationRep:
    i dont notice a difference. i am from the south, i study in the north, both have good people and bad people, happy people and miserable people, trendy people, average people, untrendy people, nice areas and complete holes. accents are different but thats not really a big thing. there are narrow minded people everywhere. i very much like living in manchester, i like liverpool, and i will always have a soft spot for where i was born, and places of my childhood like brighton. it really annoys me when my southern/northern friends start ****ging off the other group, especially when they haven't even been to the other end of the country. we are all citizens of the world, i love everyone!

shopping is better in the north though! and the south is hideously expensive for somethings, like drinking. and i cant get over having to pay £1.20 for a bus ride in london now. 50p in manchester. 50p!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    Southerners are scared of northerners. They are also scared of hard work, the cold, probably the dark and generally wear scarves until mid-may believing it to be fashionable. Oh and lots of them say 'safe' wtf is that about!?
    Hey, we are not scared of hard work, the cold or the dark. I stopped wearing my scarf in February, and i only say safe using the proper meaning of the word as in safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    It's Chelsea who are thieving all the friggin players....
    And Manchester United are totally innocent aren't they? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    southerners, or some of them seem to think that they are better than northerners, northern people have done nothing to southerners, and like wise, so whats the problem!

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm southern-born and bred, I spent 10 years living in southport (merseyside). I have to say that, on the whole, I found the northern folk to be less reserved than southern folk, so therefore appear more friendly. As an example - not long after I'd moved there, I was having a pint in a local pub, when a complete stranger just came up, said hi, and started a convo. It was pretty obvious he was on the level - and before long I got introduced to his "crowd".
    If you walk into an unknown pub down south - I'd venture to suggest that this would be unlikely to happen - not because southerners are any less friendly - but because they're more reserved.
    But as someone else mentioned - there's good and bad all over.

ReputationRep:
    see, there is nothing wrong with northerners, i could put money on it, that, overall, northerners are more freindly. quite possibly becaue of the reseved southern folk.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a southerner, but my dad's side of the family mainly live in the north. Northerners tell it to you straight. Southerners pussy foot about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    I'm a southerner, but my dad's side of the family mainly live in the north. Northerners tell it to you straight. Southerners pussy foot about.
    What lies :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    What lies :rolleyes:
    Well, in my family at the least lol.

ReputationRep:
    Southerners are softer (and supposed 'northerners' like geordies, and lowland scots are included in that) although i have to say the further south you go the better looking the people in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Southerners are softer (and supposed 'northerners' like geordies, and lowland scots are included in that) although i have to say the further south you go the better looking the people in my experience.
    :rofl:

God help the poor buggers who live in John O Groats then?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shortysally)
    :rofl:

God help the poor buggers who live in John O Groats then?! :rolleyes:
    I cant comment on them having never ventured that far north on the mainland but i always note the impressive numbers of attractive people who saunter about whenever im down south compared to the munters we get up north most of the time. But it might just be the nicer weather swaying me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I cant comment on them having never ventured that far north on the mainland but i always note the impressive numbers of attractive people who saunter about whenever im down south compared to the munters we get up north most of the time. But it might just be the nicer weather swaying me.
    Maybe it's the sun making you go light headed

ReputationRep:
    You're all forgetting the midlands (!!), i mean where exactly is the north south divide?
    My english teacher was talking about this in one of our lessons, and as Hinckley is pretty much right in the middle of the country, she asked us if we considered ourselves northern or southern, and when most people insisted "neither!", she decided to do the old, "which do you prefer, eastenders or coronation st" question. it was an equal split in our class.
    In my opinion though, there are differences in every city, it doesn't matter if its north or south. For example, in the midlands, people might say Coventry is rough, our they have bad accents in Birmingham (which, just like every other steriotype, does not apply to most people in Cov or Brum), but that doesnt mean the whole of the midlands is rough or has bad accents. Although, i have lived in the south, and although not lived in the north, i have friends there so visit alot, and i have to say, there is a very different atmosphere, but i really couldn't put my finger on exactly what the difference is.
    Oh well, North/ South, what does it matter, we're all the same. Actually, as much as the thread started off quite light hearted, i think just talking about the divide has divided the members. I mean where the hell is the midlanders society! i ask you...
    Zombiedolly xxx

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.