The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Northerners tend to be friendlier to strangers, and strike up random conversations on buses and things.
And it's not just northerners who are "born and bred in the same towns for generations" - my granddad, who lived just outside Hereford (down south), was always referred to as "the New Doctor" by his patients, despite living and working in the area for over forty years. One day, as they were doing a local census, one local man, on being asked how long he'd been at his present residence, told the government official that "my family has lived in this cottage since 1341".
Reply 21
Naughty North
Sexy South
Reply 22
Lauren
Liverpool is very ahead in the fashion, check out all those tangoed Coleen McLoughlin carbon copies. It's thought of as one of the most fashionable cities (and obviously is the city of culture wooo).

I agree with the narrow mindedness. I'm from the south but live up north and I've been plagued all my northern life by people making comments about my different accent. However northerners are more friendly, and the crime is about equal even though we're portrayed as thieving b*stards.

I'm glad to hear Liverpool is fash - I'm going to Liverpool University this September. I visited earlier this year but didn't see much of the city centre.
Reply 23
blissy
3 months ago I would have joined in the northern bashing but I just can't anymore :love: I even love their silly accents

That's cos the accents are so damn good :biggrin:
Reply 24
I've lived at both ends of the country and there really isn't that much difference. You get every personality trait imaginable in both.
Reply 25
red_roadkill
I'm glad to hear Liverpool is fash - I'm going to Liverpool University this September. I visited earlier this year but didn't see much of the city centre.

Loooooaaaads of shops in the centre, and little towns and high streets scattered all over the city. Good shopping everywhere and it's all damn cheaper than the south. Great nightlife too - you'll love it!
Reply 26
north is 1) colder 2) more fashionable 3) harder people due to mining towns etc
Reply 27
Lauren
Loooooaaaads of shops in the centre, and little towns and high streets scattered all over the city. Good shopping everywhere and it's all damn cheaper than the south. Great nightlife too - you'll love it!

Fabulous! :biggrin:
Lauren
Southerners are definitely scared of northerners! When I'm in Cambridge, if anyone tries to pick a fight, the scouse accent comes out with the "eh eh, ya startin su'tin, ya startin? come ere den, come ed an ill fukin batta ya!" and they run away!

Edit: note that putting on a southern accent will have the opposite effect when having a fight in the north. You will get "fukin batta'd".

having heard rumours of your decking a certain 6ft man mountain before i would be bricking it if you said "ya startin'" and i'm a northerner. (tho u wouldnt know it to hear me at first)
Reply 29
af1
north is 1) colder 2) more fashionable 3) harder people due to mining towns etc

No, it's certainly not more fashionable - Manchester is (and Liverpool) and prolly Leeds, but where I come from the fashion is terrrrrrrible (apart from me, of course :p: - no, really :biggrin:)
Reply 30
And we all wear flat caps, keep ferrets, drink bitter and listen to colliery brass bands.
Reply 31
'Harder people'? eh? So you're 'hard' if you live in the North of England? :-P
Reply 32
Arrr... I be sitting in my northern cottage wearing me flat cap an' eating me Eccles an' feeding me ferrets

EDIT

Damn - something to that effect has already been posted - oh well, back to the pit
Reply 33
Jamie
having heard rumours of your decking a certain 6ft man mountain before i would be bricking it if you said "ya startin'" and i'm a northerner. (tho u wouldnt know it to hear me at first)

whaaaaat? who??!
Reply 34
Northerners - I know its been said but funny accents. You say t' instead of the. Someone tell me what the deal with is that. I watched Kes, summed up northerners in my mind. Babba instead of baybee, mam instead of mum. You tend to drink like its no tommorow and the women seem to wear even less when they go out than in London when its much colder up there!

You've got outside toilets and my sister lived on the end of a cobbled road in Leeds. Cobbles. Oh and Hovis bread. ('Orvis)

What else, yeah The North is hardly fashionable. Its maybe fashionable in the whole 'retro' thing but Southerners are most up to date with fashion especially music then the Northerners get it later such as Garage music. My mate was telling me how people were raving about this garage track and it was months after we all got over it :smile:
Reply 35
Seabiscuit
Northerners - I know its been said but funny accents. You say t' instead of the. Someone tell me what the deal with is that. I watched Kes, summed up northerners in my mind. Babba instead of baybee, mam instead of mum. You tend to drink like its no tommorow and the women seem to wear even less when they go out than in London when its much colder up there!

You've got outside toilets and my sister lived on the end of a cobbled road in Leeds. Cobbles. Oh and Hovis bread. ('Orvis)

What else, yeah The North is hardly fashionable. Its maybe fashionable in the whole 'retro' thing but Southerners are most up to date with fashion especially music then the Northerners get it later such as Garage music. My mate was telling me how people were raving about this garage track and it was months after we all got over it :smile:

That's cos garage is a big steaming pile of crap.
Reply 36
puk2184
Just another random thought of mine.. (leading from a discussion with a mate today).. what do you reckon are the major differences between northerners and southerners? Are there major differences in attitudes or do you reckon it's only the accents that vary?
northerners seem more relaxed i think. easier to talk to a northerner
Northerners are generally more narcissistic with less reason to be...

There, I said it and saved all of you guys and gals who were thinking it a lot of hassle!
Reply 38
El Pollo Diablo
That's cos the accents are so damn good :biggrin:

*sigh* they really are :biggrin:
Reply 39
El Pollo Diablo
That's cos garage is a big steaming pile of crap.

That's whatever you think. The point I was making that THEY started raving about it months after Londoners got over it which means they are a bit slower with trends and so on...

Latest

Trending

Trending