Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dipsomaniac)
    Northerners are generally more narcissistic with less reason to be...

There, I said it and saved all of you guys and gals who were thinking it a lot of hassle!
    why do you say that?

ReputationRep:
    in reality theres little difference apart from some regional accents and perhaps some food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    in reality theres little difference apart from some regional accents and perhaps some food
    and the countryside is better up north... though the beaches are better down south

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy)
    and the countryside is better up north... though the beaches are better down south
    well round here you're never more than 5 minutes from the countryside

infact theres fields full of sheep and cows and the like just up the road from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dramatic Star)
    Southeners are based much more in the tertiary/ service sectors and are less 'hands on' in regard to manual work. Their lifestyles are relied more upon the media (e.g. TV, movies, etc) & consumption (e.g. clubbing, shopping, etc). I think I experience this type of lifestyle.
    Not really true. Manchester is just one gigantic call centre/designer shop/BBC production centre/up itself club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    I think it's pretty different. There's some lifestyle habits really engrained into the north, I'm talking subtle here, not just flatcaps and whippets. It's hard to put your finger on it, but I think alot of spawns from the fact that the north has endured a really tough few decades economically, whereas the south has been relatively prosperous, there's a general cheapness and financial concern in the north because of this. It creeps into lifestyle into all sorts of subtle ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    I think it's pretty different. There's some lifestyle habits really engrained into the north, I'm talking subtle here, not just flatcaps and whippets. It's hard to put your finger on it, but I think alot of spawns from the fact that the north has endured a really tough few decades economically, whereas the south has been relatively prosperous, there's a general cheapness and financial concern in the north because of this. It creeps into lifestyle into all sorts of subtle ways.
    from a traditional view you could say...

northerners = brawn no brain

sotherners = brain no brawn

and us midlanders are just perfect :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Nope you speak funny as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy)
    from a traditional view you could say...

northerners = brawn no brain

sotherners = brain no brawn

and us midlanders are just perfect :cool:
    or you midlanders have the worst traits of both?

ReputationRep:
    Maybve humour?

Cockney humour and Geordie humour for example - slightly different?

Accent and use of language obviously different, food and drink (as well as food + drink habits) another clearer difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    or you midlanders have the worst traits of both?
    well then surely that makes it a perfect combo, brains AND brawn :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    Nope you speak funny as well...
    mmm, yeah i agree. though what part of the midlands is it that you are referring to?

ReputationRep:
    People from Birmingham I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy)
    well then surely that makes it a perfect combo, brains AND brawn :p:
    no i mean

no brains
    no brawn
    no artistic talent

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    no i mean

no brains
    no brawn
    no artistic talent

:rolleyes:
    mmmmm, shame we cant all be stereotypical then i suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seabiscuit)
    People from Birmingham I suppose!
    im not from birmingham

ReputationRep:
    southerner's cant quite swear right..

anyone else noticed this?

me and my friend have endless amusement at the fact her uncle can't make sugah and bug.ger rhyme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)

me and my friend have endless amusement at the fact her uncle can't make sugah and bug.ger rhyme.
    can you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)

It doesn't sound right when Northerners swear - just sounds like "foookin ell" rather than the harsher "uh" sound in "****".

However, for procrastination purposes, the Northerners version is probably more entertaining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    It doesn't sound right when Northerners swear - just sounds like "foookin ell" rather than the harsher "uh" sound in "****".

However, for procrastination purposes, the Northerners version is probably more entertaining!
    :eek: We swear so much better than you! "*******" sounds so much better in a northern accent.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.