Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    :eek: We swear so much better than you! "*******" sounds so much better in a northern accent.
    ******* is better said by Northerners because we add the 'r' in, so ends up posher than way you say it.

Bugger is generally said better by Northerners too.

W**ker is much better said by Southerners, and the 'F' and 'C' word as well in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Bugger is generally said better by Northerners too.
    Bugger is best said in a Westcountry accent

ReputationRep:
    They say bastid instead of barsturd. You can't deny, its great for parody! See Bo Selecta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Hahahaha!

Yes I think you might be right there! :p:

ReputationRep:
    sugar and bug.ger ryhme. if you're not a cockney.

i just laught when a southerner swear at me. i cant help it. lucky i can fight cause other wise I would have got my head kicked in on many an occasion.

my boyfriend who's only from notts makes me laugh. it's not that far south but occasonally he slips and i'm in fits.

As for the people saying there isnt a difference there is, and it's huge. If you do language or speech therapy n Uni it should come up. Most of my soiters dissertation wa son the north south divide.

we hate each other with a nice friendly hatred like we hate wales and ireland and anything else. but a lot of northerners are ar more helpful than southerners. obviously thisis a generalisation dont shout at me.

you're also far more likely to liek your region and help them out. maybe why i've experienced friendly notherners and not southerners.

and Londoners.. dont get me started when it's sunny in london it's sunny everywhere. erm no it's not. wake up and look outside your city please.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. But a broad Yorkshire farmer one works too, as in Unlucky Alf from the Fast Show.

ReputationRep:
    I think the northern harsher accent is better for swearing. I love going to cornwall. we're all such a mix by the end of the week we've swapped acents and no one can swear unless really upset/anger/drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dramatic Star)
    Southeners are based much more in the tertiary/ service sectors and are less 'hands on' in regard to manual work. Their lifestyles are relied more upon the media (e.g. TV, movies, etc) & consumption (e.g. clubbing, shopping, etc). I think I experience this type of lifestyle.

hang on that isnt true....with almost no media down here in devon, well amlost all work is hands on!

i think a majority of people automatically think of london when southerner is menchioned!

remember us 'farmers'!! lol

ReputationRep:
    :hmpf: dont mock my westcountry accent!!!!!

its the best accent in the world! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puk2184)
    Just another random thought of mine.. (leading from a discussion with a mate today).. what do you reckon are the major differences between northerners and southerners? Are there major differences in attitudes or do you reckon it's only the accents that vary?
    wow, where do I start? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to take this opportunity to invite all Southerners to join my Southern Society http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117033

No Northerners allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Southerners very occasionally bathe and wash.
    Which is more than Northerners do.

ReputationRep:
    Southerners have an appreciation for culture and travel and welcome diversity.

Also the south is the financial powerhouse of the UK, and the North would never survive without us

ReputationRep:
    Southerners > Northerners.

I think that inequality says it all really.

ReputationRep:
    northerners are giants! and have big braun, like el stevo:O - he's intimidating man...could kill me like that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Many people in this thread have referred to London or Manchester, i would like to point out that there is roughly 50million people living outside these conurbations.

You would have to be a complete idiot to pretend theres no differences, the differences between the north and south are vast.

No matter where you go in England, though, there is a class structure that will define the whole area. Upper Middle class northeners behave almost exactly like their Southern counterparts, only in the north there is far fewer.

The north has a history of industry and agriculture, and attitudes vary, like in the south. In parts of rural north Yorkshire, i would not be suprised to hear the word "******" being used by a white man, as is probably the case with Cornwall or Devon etc.

There is some levelling happening though, and the differences are becoming somewhat blurred. The traditional view is that northeners are big dirty beasts, and southeners are little poofters, but with the rapid changes in the north, this is something of the past.
    It is also notable that in much of the north, you don't have to worry about terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that Notherners had more sense than to support the Tories, but maybe I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    BK Cornwall and Devon are not racist places, in fact the south is very tolerant, unlike Beyond Watford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramroff)
    BK Cornwall and Devon are not racist places, in fact the south is very tolerant, unlike Beyond Watford

although here in devon we do not get very mixed cultures, almost everyone is white (only two black people in my school and no other races) this makes us accept people who arnt like us. im not quite sure why, probably because we wont other people with different backgrounds other than all us white people!

we're lovely!

(have I ever been horrible to anyone!!!??)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hythlodaeus*)
    I always thought that Notherners had more sense than to support the Tories, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Nope, the trade unions are dying, the tories will prevail. :rolleyes:

There is much support in the north for the tories, most notably in the rural areas, where there is many tory stongholds (e.g. Vale of York, parts of Cumbria)

Ramroff, London is tolerant. Cornwall has some of the most white constituencies in the country, so I would not be suprised if there was some racism.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.