Turn on thread page Beta

Is deliberately killing one person morally worse than accidentally killing 10? watch

ReputationRep:
    The poll says 'accidentally' which implies no negligence.

ReputationRep:
    IMO yes, because the intention is there. Accidents can't be helped.

ReputationRep:
    Because of what 'accidentally' encompasses as distinct from 'deliberately', I'm inclined to say 'yes'; but also to second NDGAARONDI: the circumstances of either eventuality must be called into question.

If we are to regard the 'deliberate killing' as an act of self-preservation where the 'accidental killing' is entailed, conversely, by criminal negligence, obviously the demarcations of moral relativism are less exact; on the other hand the absence of said negligence precludes a moral attribute being ascribed to the latter consequence.

This is not the sort of issue that can be resolved meaningfully by way of such ambiguous criteria: define your terms. (But then, perhaps, that is entirely the point.)

ReputationRep:
    on a moral basis - definitely

ReputationRep:
    Since the question itself is interested in morals I shall say yes.

If the word 'morally' wasn't in the question I'd probably still day yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuglyduckling)
    The poll says 'accidentally' which implies no negligence.
    Accidents involving human action usually involve mistakes. It's hard to 'accidentally' run someone over in a car or accidentally steer your car off a bridge. These aren't 'natural' accidents like avalanches - these involve humans and we attribute humans with choice, so there are no true accidents when people are involved. In such case then, I think the morality of an accident (mistake) is equal to its consequence, not the actual accident. If a person drinks too much then proceeds to drive, the immorality of their drunkeness is determined not by the fact they were drink driving, but how many people they harmed doing it. Indeed - people are legally judged as such, by the consequences of their behaviour, not the actual behaviour.

So although it probably suggests an extreme mentality in a person for them to deliberately kill someone in this society (or perhaps extreme circumstances), I would be slightly biased into suggesting that killing 10 people has greater potential to cause moral harm than killing 1. So perhaps killing 10 is the more immoral act.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend how accidental the 10 deaths were. If there was no intent, and carelessness was not a major factor then the deliberate murder of one person would be a much worse thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    i think
    it is MORALLY worse to kill 1 person on purpose than 100000000 by accident (well, not that it's likely for THAT to be an accident) because to me, when we speak of morality, it's all about intentions.

ReputationRep:
    In the eyes of the law killing 10 people accidently would probably be 10 man slaughters surely which would work out at around 150 years in prison(probably get out in 75) whereas murder carries with it a 25 year sentence.

ReputationRep:
    Does it work like that though? You wouldn't necessarily get 10x10 years would you?

ReputationRep:
    If some1 possed a threat to your life and you killed them, would that be morally wrong? It wouldnt be an accident, as u meant to do it. There is, in my eyes not such thing as accidental death.

If you kill someone by drink driving, then u were drunk. Not an accident cos it has a reason. Same thing if u knock some over in the road. either u didnt see them , hence not playing attention, or they werent.

I dnt see any death an accidental.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that its morally wrong but their circumstances in which the accidental death took place neet to be considered. For example, if the accidental death occured due to the persons pure negligence then there is a question regarding whether the death would have occured if there wasnt an element of negligence.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, like some people kill without a reason and some purposefully kill. Accidentally killing ten persons is difficult unless you accidentally run a truck on people sleeping on a footpath :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if moraly then yes. But it really depends on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally, the former. Realistically, the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody makes mistakes. Killing some1 is a big mistake to make, if by accident but the person is not a murderer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by material breach)
    Please vote.

This is stupid. Of course it is.

ReputationRep:
    Too many variables to make any comment either way

There's also a sub-debate as to whether it's always wrong to kill someone involved

As in all things, context is king

ReputationRep:
    This was actually quite similar to one of my Oxford philosophy interviews - budding Oxbridge philosophers take note! I had to discuss a situation where either a man could shoot one prisoner out of 20, or he could stay out of it and watch another kill them all - what should he do? Can't remember what I said though, the tutor changed my mind on one of the issues we talked about.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

"Every action on its intention."

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.