Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In October 2004 i applied to study medicine, I received 4 rejections. i now want to apply for dentistry this October and was wondering...

1. If I don’t gain a place in dentistry, what should I put as a backup course?

2. If I were to apply to some of the universities that I applied to for medicine last year, how could I show in my personal statement that I now really want to do dentistry rather then medicine? What would be a suitable reason to have changed my mind?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1) I'm not really sure - I didn't really take much notice of my 5th and 6th places, I put something like BMS down. I suppose you could apply for Dental Technology/Therapy/Nursing with those choices.

2) Lots of w/e for Dentistry but also include the w/e you did for medicine as it shows that you have explored other areas. In interviews they may ask "Why not medicine?" and then you can explain how you did originally look into it but then decided against it. Also have a really good understanding of what's going on in the medical and dental world - keep an eye on a few websites, e.g. the BDJ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemgod1)
    In October 2004 i applied to study medicine, I received 4 rejections. i now want to apply for dentistry this October and was wondering...

1. If I don’t gain a place in dentistry, what should I put as a backup course?

2. If I were to apply to some of the universities that I applied to for medicine last year, how could I show in my personal statement that I now really want to do dentistry rather then medicine? What would be a suitable reason to have changed my mind?

Many Thanks
    Just say why you have changed your mind, as long as its not because you think its easier to get into......

ReputationRep:
    i don't think dentistry is easier to get into as compared to medicine. There are far fewer dental schools around and the intakes are on average around 60. I wouldn't advise applying to dentistry on the sole reason thats it's 'easier to get into'.

ReputationRep:
    That's an on-going debate and it was in one of the other threads a few days back. I don't think you could say either of them is easier to get into, they both have their own difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys and gurls thats really helpful.. and i havnt switched becasue i think dentistry is easier... they are both dam tough to get into

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.