Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am applying for 2006 for a foundation course and of the colleges i have looked round camberwell is my 1st choice and CSM is my second.
    HOWEVER, i worry that if i put CSM as a 2nd choice and then dont get an offer from camberwell there is no way that i would get into CSM because they are higher up in the "hierarchy" of london art colleges and will be offended by me putting them as 2nd choice.

but... then which should i put as my second choice?

also, if you know what it's like to be a student at camberwell (good/bad) please tell me if my judgement is correct or needs correcting.

does this make sense? no? please reply anyway (:

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would stick to the first plan. If you apply through route A, the colleges don't see where else you've applied. With route B they see.. I can't remember if applying to these foundation courses is only through route B. Anyhoo, don't let such thing change your opinion.

I myself will start my BA in LCC in September and I will live very close to Camberwell College of Arts. I'm sure that some of my flat mates will attend that school... So if you're not in a rush with the answers, I'm sure I can tell you about the school in just couple months time.

ReputationRep:
    posieposie is talking about an art foundation course, so won't be applying through UCAS, but just by filling out a form. On this form you put your first and second choice out of the colleges in the University of Arts, London.

If you think there's this 'ranking', then surely your logic means that if you can't get into Camberwell, you wouldn't be able to get into CSM anyway? :P

Sorry for being pedantic! Anywho, go for Camberwell as your first choice. It's where you want to be by the sounds of it. And it's a good art college, apparently.

What media do you usually use in your art/what degree do you want to do after? Because all five of the colleges have their own strengths and cover different parts of art. Camberwell, CSM, and Chealsea are the better option for Fine Art (although Camberwell is more graphics based), so if that's your intention, there's little point applying at the College of Fashion, for example..

ReputationRep:
    University of the Arts has a space on their application to specifcally ask for you application to be sent to another one of their colleges, if it fails. So, I ould venture to guess that they would not be offended.

Try checking out some Livejornal's of Uni of the Arts students to get an idea for the "feel".

Good Luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    well most of the colleges fills their spaces with the 1st choice applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Philippa Beale of central saint martins answered parents questions on the open day we attended. She told the parents that the college really don't look at second choices because they don't have enough places for all the first choice applications who make it through. That was the reason why I changed Chelsea to my second choice, they were not happy as I'd already received an appointment for portfolio viewing but CSM were great about it and fortunately I got in
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was going to do a foundation at Camberwell this September and I went to their open day before. I don't know if you have ever been to the college or not. I kind of like the college and the students seen quite nice... As far as I remember, they have quite a big number of foundation student and not many studio... Overall, I think CSM would do better foundation than Camberwell... this is only my personal feeling... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If the place you want to go is Camberwell, then put it at the top of your list and forget forget about CSM. CSM will not accept second choices, because they have a billion people putting it as their first choice. I suggest you put another foundation college as your 2nd choice rather than CSM, unless there isn't really one you want to go to as a second choice apart from CSM, but I warn you that there is almost 100% no chance that you will get into CSM by putting it as your 2nd choice.
    Demand for foundation courses in any of the University of the Arts colleges are really high, perhaps more so than most foundation courses. I put CSM as my first choice, and London College of Fashion (another University of the Arts institution) as my second choice. I didn't get into CSM, and received nothing from London College of Fashion, not even a letter along the lines of "your application has been passed onto us from CSM." When I phoned up London College of Fashion, the lady said, at her discretion, that they had filled up all the 1st choice places for the foundation, and so are not looking at any applications passed on from other colleges/2nd choice applications.
    So I gather that if LCF don't look at 2nd choices, I really doubt CSM do as it has a more reputable foundation. If only I had known this, I would have put LCF as my first choice and perhaps Chelsea or something as my second (maybe Chelsea don't even look at 2nd choices!) It's a kind of do or die situation, you have to really go for it and think strategically, I just really wished that someone would've told me to not go for CSM, then maybe I would've had a shot with LCF as it is based purely on fashion, which is all I have ever done in my life. I have no art GCSE's/A-Level's, so it was kinda obvious I wouldn't get into CSM, but that's what happens when you aren't given direct, honest advice!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.