Turn on thread page Beta

Little arty things you can do for bedroom watch

ReputationRep:
    I stick photos and cool postcards on my wardrobe doors. i have a feather boa hanging from the bit just below the ceiling (picture rail??) mirror balls are cool, have them by a lamp or the window.

ReputationRep:
    Before my room was decorated I had quite a few wind chimes hanging from the curtain rail, I used to spend hours sitting watching the light patterns and letting the sounds flow over me. When others came in they said it was a very serene space because of it, so I suppose you could create a unique and artistic atmosphere with use of light colours or/and sounds that are personal to you (e.g. your favourite colour)

Alternatively I find painting something unique creates a focal point, I painted my radiator in faint silver Celtic vines and was very happy that it looked so much more like a feature. That might just be my strange taste but you could possibly paint something in the styles you like best.

Sorry if this isn't much help, I'm just speculating as to what's possible.

ReputationRep:
    I have a wall full of posters!! :love: [like posters pasted on the walls instead of wallpaper]

I'm gonna start SilverWings-izing my room soon, it's gonne ROCK!!

ReputationRep:
    what is your headboard made of....my friend did some really cool thing with hers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBeLLax)
    what is your headboard made of....my friend did some really cool thing with hers
    I've got clear white lights (i think they're christmas tree lights lolz) wrapped around my headboard.

ReputationRep:
    i took free cds that you get with newspapers and computer magazines and stuck them around my room to make a border (shiny side up) They look pretty cool and the light shines off them. xx

ReputationRep:
    I have a "feature wall", which is basically covered in postcards from friends and from places I've been to, plus magazine cuttings, posters and just about anything that means something to me, such as the map for a place I stayed in France last summer etc. It looks colourful and friendly, it's really personal, and also it's fun to sit and look at it as I'm drifting off to sleep, there are so many memories attached to everything on it.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I dunno, it's individual what you do with your room, so there's not all that much point asking others. Mine's a bit crazy, it's full of weird stuff. I have posters in my room - but a strict conduct with 'em! I only allow movie size posters. (like the £5 ones from HMV and stuff), I don't put up smallish posters, such as A4 or A5 ones. You end up crowding the walls and they look a bit crap. But I like my big movie style posters, they're cool.

I've also got weird stuff that I've collected all over the world, when I've been abroad, and silly novelty items like dancing hamsters, and one of those cool Magic 8 balls that answers your questions!

My room is mad though. It's purple and orange. I love those colours, especially together! I was gutted though, when there was a big surge in the two colours, because it ruined my little individual room. The colours are BRIGHT though, not pastel. At first I was going to paint the ceiling also orange (because the carpet is purple), but I thought it might be a bit compressing, so instead my ceiling is primarily white but it's littered with orange and purple swirley suns. It looks really cool (I bought the stencil from Homebase!). So you could try something like that, when I go to bed, I look up and see all these cool swirly orange and purple suns. :p:

Er, what else...you could make a collage of cool stuff, stuff that you like and enjoy. I did that once, but it never made it to the wall. I have, however, got a shrine to Ryan Phillippe!! :p: It's basically a huge collage of him, with 400 pictures on it. :p: (I love him). Also, you can use old CDs as beermats, that's cool. :p:

I dunno...my room is mad. Every two weeks I change my duvet covers from purple, to orange. (I've got two!). I love my double bed!

Ikea is cool for bedrooms. They've got some groovy stuff, and it's cheap as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    Hey, I'm trying to jazz up my bedroom to make it more 'cool' to live in and was wondering if anyone knew any little artsy things you can do to do this.
    Like, cutting up your school tie and pasting it on the wall in a weird formation.
    Thankyou, David.
    Fairy Lights!

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I did with my room:
    It's got a solid oak floor so I got a huge rug to cover it and also another fluffy sheepskin one for by my bed (so my feet are warm when I get up )
    I found these amazing glittery butterflies about 10cm long at a market in Cambridge, so they're perched on my lampshade
    I also found a fab blue-purple-shiny lampshade for my main lamp with more butterflies
    I got some zig zig shelves pretty cheap from somewhere like Argos, but I put them up so they're like \/\/ shape, one above the other, and they make a cool design where I can put books and CDs
    Lava lamps are fun!
    Also those big globes which have electricity which goes to your fingers when you touch it - they're awesome fun
    I got hold of some of my college's May Ball posters and stuck them on my door - the main one is a huge bright green eye and it looks really cool and adds loads of colour, as well as looking classy
    I took some photos and then took some card and cut out eight holes the size of the pics, then added a frame - it looks really professional
    I framed some of my more interesting GCSE artwork (you know the fun parts of it!) which adds nostalgia and fits in with the general "classy but mental" theme - and amuses my friends!
    A few fairy lights (flowers with pink bulbs!) from Habitat look great cascading off your wardrobe or ceiling
    Another idea is to get some coloured material and attach it across your ceiling, then put some plain fairy lights above it to make it look like the night sky
    Fairy lights on netting look amazing, especially if you painted the netting the same colour as your walls
    Big mirrors are always great
    Carefully smash a mirror and then take the larger bits of it and glue them randomly onto some painted wood or painted and fired ceramic to get a funky mirror/decoration
    I used to have shimmery gold net curtains which looked great when the sunlight came through them, and also stopped people looking in
    A bedspread is a great idea, in any colour, and throws for the chairs
    Something I did at uni was to stick all my fave photos on the wall in funky designs. A lot were taken when drunk so had gaps in or the people were too far to one side, so I'd just stick part of another pic over the top and the end result was a modern art kind of thing, but with all my friends to look at when I was bored! I got a lot of compliments on it as well - and it saves people having to crowd round a pile of pics
    The same can be done with postcards from your fave places
    Final tip: before you go crazy with making your room look funky and pretty, clear away all your clutter. Best thing I find is to remove it from everywhere in your room and dump it on your bed, with an hour before bedtime. You'll find yourself throwing away all the unnecessary things just to be able to go to sleep! And you'll wake up clutter free. Anything you simply can't throw away - acquire yourself a decent shoe box and put it all in there, then shove under your bed. Better still, get down to poundstretcher or similar and nab yourself a few "under-the-bed" plastic boxes. Very handy for storing things when you come back from uni and don't need your own set of crockery.

Hope I helped - have fun!

(Original post by Lil_J)
    Mirror on the ceiling!? Lol
    brilliant idea

my wall is cluttered with posters...i'm redoing it soon.great thread,btw

ReputationRep:
    a collage of your photos into your favorite symbol on the wall..pretty basic, but the most personal i think.

black and white photography/art/posters - classy!

i took a full length vertical mirror, painted the border with funky designs, and placed it horizontally over my headboard.

pillows/throws/rugs

glow in the dark stars on my ceiling

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.