Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I notice the word intelligent gets used very lightly in society, I saw big brother and there telling one another that there intelligent, I don’t mean to be harsh but there not. Also in a house how can they all be classed as intelligent surely intelligence is measured in relation to a group for example in ye olde days somebody classed intelligent would be a fool by today’s standards. Reading on certain threads that suicide bombers are intelligent, is it just me or are people using the word “intelligent” far too lightly… oh and no I do not think I am intelligent before you ask.

ReputationRep:
    time to look at your use of there, their and they're

but yes i essentially agree with what you are getting at.

ReputationRep:
    yea i wasnt sure which one to use, please forgive my english

ReputationRep:
    No... We all possess intelligence... I don't think it is used enough if we are being strictly correct... We are all sentient beings with the ability to make decisions based upon intelligence. Of course it is relative but everyone possesses a certain degree of intelligence!

ReputationRep:
    but if we all possess a certain degree of intelligence must we tell one another the way its being used, you dont say what we all do and use it as a compliment. guess it is just me thats feels its used to lightly

ReputationRep:
    We are all intelligent in different things. There is a theory of multiple inteligences proposed by Michael Howard I think of harvard university. These include kinestheitics which athletes have which allows effective muscle co-ordination to perform dancing and sports. Its all relative the key is finding your intelligence, academic intelligence is not the only form of intelligence. Ask einstein to bend a free kick with the trajectory(sp) of beckham and vice versa.

(Original post by SJ No.18)
    We are all intelligent in different things. There is a theory of multiple inteligences proposed by Michael Howard I think of harvard university. These include kinestheitics which athletes have which allows effective muscle co-ordination to perform dancing and sports. Its all relative the key is finding your intelligence, academic intelligence is not the only form of intelligence. Ask einstein to bend a free kick with the trajectory(sp) of beckham and vice versa.
    You are right about multiple intelligences but it was Howard Gardner that identified them first, not Michael Howard!

http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tktaylor6)
    for example in ye olde days somebody classed intelligent would be a fool by today’s standards.
    I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that's rubbish. So people who lived in 'ye olde days' (as you put it - I presume you just mean history in general?) - were somehow less intelligent merely because they lived in the past? Just because they didn't have today's technology or 21st-century thought, that doesn't mean they weren't as intelligent as people today. Don't mistake ignorance for lack of intelligence - they aren't the same thing, and it is a fallacy to believe so.

ReputationRep:
    lol-when you look at some of the thinkers and leaders of the old days-such as plato, aristotle, newton......etc! and some of the military generals. Without the technology the created unbelievably sophisticated methods of rules and new ideas. They're the people to thank for enabling a lot of todays technology.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to be so harsh, but that's rubbish. So people who lived in 'ye olde days' (as you put it - I presume you just mean history in general?) - were somehow less intelligent merely because they lived in the past? Just because they didn't have today's technology or 21st-century thought, that doesn't mean they weren't as intelligent as people today. Don't mistake ignorance for lack of intelligence - they aren't the same thing, and it is a fallacy to believe so.
    It's called the 'Flynn Effect', and it's real. People in the past were on average less intelligent due to poor nutrition and education.

ReputationRep:
    And remember the people in the past have given us our present knowledge... but can you call knowlegde intelligence????

ReputationRep:
    Surely Descartes (of Ye Olde Days Fame) would be classed as intelligent these days. His propositions would seem elementary just as Steven Hawking's will in 400 years' time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    You are right about multiple intelligences but it was Howard Gardner that identified them first, not Michael Howard!

http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm
    Yeah thats him, Michael Howard :eek: what was I thinking!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.