The Student Room Group

The Imperial Federation - Should it have gone ahead?

Scroll to see replies

L i b
Scotland is a far more conservative place than England, particularly historically, but even today. Then again, I think you've simply failed to understand the meaning of the word 'conservative'.

In that case you should start by expressing yourself more cleary. I assumed you were talking about politics which is why I laughed when I read your post.

No they don't. To think of just one example off the top of my head: Alaska. Equally, countries like France and the Netherlands have their existing colonies as an integral part of the mother country's constitutional framework, even today.

Alaska and Hawaii are hardly integral US states, and as you may have noticed they're still quite close to the other US states, nothing quite like what this federation would like look, with Australia and Canada at opposite ends of the world.

As for French Guiana, it too is hardly an integral part of France, if anything it costs more to keep it than it's actually worth.

Most of the US states border each other, most of the Russian states border each other, all of the Mexican states border each other, all of the Brazilian states border each other, do you see the pattern evolving here?

There is a lot of anti-English racism in Ireland. I will not dignify such vile, backward and revolting views by pretending there can be any justification for them. If you want to sit isolated and try to defend racists and bigots, feel free - but I don't think you'll find much support.

I'm not defending them, but to say that Ireland would have happily joined up in this federation is ludicrous considering that a huge percentage of the population hated the English, the hate may have simmered down today however in this scenario we're not talking about today.
Teaddict
Would have been brilliant.

Wait.... you're for an Imperial Federation but against an integrated EU? :eyeball:
Reply 42
Captain Crash
Wait.... you're for an Imperial Federation but against an integrated EU? :eyeball:

Yupp.
Paxdax
For those of you who don't know what the Imperial Federation is, read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Federation

The Imperial Federation was a proposal to turn the British Empire into a federated superstate, which would combine the benefits of a large power with that of small, efficient governing. Member of this Federation would likely have been the largely British-descended dominions of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, as well as Ireland and South Africa.

"Supporters of Imperial Federation regarded the United Kingdom as having two possible futures; imperial union and continued long-term importance or imperial dissolution and the reduction of the status of the UK to a second-class nation."

Looking back now, we know that the British Government chose the latter choice. But, should the first choice have been taken? With an Imperial Federation, Britain might have maintained its status as a big international power, instead of the decline we witnessed in the 20th century.

FACTS:

Using contemporary statistics, the Imperial Federation consisting of the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland would have had:

A population of roughly 125 million

An economy with a nominal value of 5.381 trillion dollars, which would have made it the second largest in the World

Would have spanned three continents

Sounds a lot like the French Union and we all know how that turned out...
Teaddict
Yupp.

Inconsistency in reasoning much? In principle there's no real difference between the two.
Reply 45
Captain Crash
Inconsistency in reasoning much? In principle there's no real difference between the two.

Not at all.

There are very big differences between a European Union and a Federation based on the British Empire. I am surprised you cannot work it out :smile:
Reply 46
Stalin
In that case you should start by expressing yourself more cleary. I assumed you were talking about politics which is why I laughed when I read your post.

I didn't say it wasn't political - what I rejected was the idea that conservatism belongs to one political party. If it was referring to that party then I would have been using a proper noun and the initial 'c' would have been capitalised.

Alaska and Hawaii are hardly integral US states, and as you may have noticed they're still quite close to the other US states

Yes they are; and no, they're not.

nothing quite like what this federation would like look, with Australia and Canada at opposite ends of the world.

I think you need to invest in a globe rather than looking at a two-dimensional map with Britain at the centre.

As for French Guiana, it too is hardly an integral part of France

It is, entirely.

Most of the US states border each other, most of the Russian states border each other, all of the Mexican states border each other, all of the Brazilian states border each other, do you see the pattern evolving here?

I certainly see an is/ought logical fallacy developing.
Teaddict
Not at all.

There are very big differences between a European Union and a Federation based on the British Empire. I am surprised you cannot work it out :smile:

Both the (integrated) EU and a British Federation would be based on a federation of states. The only difference I can notice is the elevated role of the UK in the latter, which I suspect is your only reason for supporting it.
Reply 48
Captain Crash
Both the (integrated) EU and a British Federation would be based on a federation of states. The only difference I can notice is the elevated role of the UK in the latter, which I suspect is your only reason for supporting it.

It is not my only reason, but it is a big reason.

This is where I would like to clarify my European position. I do not support the European Union, but I do support a European Union.
Reply 49
L i b

I think you need to invest in a globe rather than looking at a two-dimensional map with Britain at the centre.

Do you think this federation would have worked in practice, circa the turn of the century?
Reply 50
lovett
Do you think this federation would have worked in practice, circa the turn of the century?

It is plausible.
Teaddict
It is not my only reason, but it is a big reason.

This is where I would like to clarify my European position. I do not support the European Union, but I do support a European Union.
I suspect this is the position of every eurosceptic in the country. Nobody wants Britain to sit on its cold little island with her fingers in her ears. But neither do we want to be the 27th State of Europe. It's totally unreasonable to suggest that people against the latter are in favour of the former.
Reply 52
Teaddict
It is plausible.

Could you tell me how an Australian representative in Westminster could reasonably represent the Australian people?
Reply 53
lovett

Ultimately, the very idea of federations crossing great boundaries was problematic. Think, for example, of the logistical problems for a representative of California reaching the United States Capitol before the great mountains were tamed and railway lines laid.

If you're asking me if those problems were insurmountable, then I'd definitely say no - there are very few great efforts which cannot be made with the proper will.

Plus, of course, there isn't really any criteria for a state 'working'. I mean, all countries inevitably fall - it's just a matter of how long they last.
Reply 54
What's stopping Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the UK from forming their own federation?

Canada may reject as it has plans on forming a North American Union alongside Mexico and the US, South Africa may also reject as plans for a United States of Africa grow seemingly stronger day by day. However Australia, New Zealand and the British overseas territories could easily form one, could this work in this day and age and would it be possible?
It was and still is a good idea. However it is killed by defence considerations. Canada has no nearby enemies. Britain has Russia/Europe (depending on time period), and Australia has China/Japan (depending on time period). It would turn into Canada subsidising two military establishments at opposite ends of Eurasia. It might still be workable if the people involved genuinely felt themselves to be countrymen, but it seems that they did and do not. Rather, it was a combination of self-interest and inertia that held the Empire together so long as the UK was a useful benefactor, and as soon as this ceased to be the case Aus/NZ and Canada immediately abandoned Britain and supplanted her with America.

Plus, the present push seems to be toward plutocratic continent-states. I don't understand why people think this a good idea, but they seem to.
Reply 56
Collingwood
It was and still is a good idea. However it is killed by defence considerations. Canada has no nearby enemies. Britain has Russia/Europe (depending on time period), and Australia has China/Japan (depending on time period). It would turn into Canada subsidising two military establishments at opposite ends of Eurasia. It might still be workable if the people involved genuinely felt themselves to be countrymen, but it seems that they did and do not. Rather, it was a combination of self-interest and inertia that held the Empire together so long as the UK was a useful benefactor, and as soon as this ceased to be the case Aus/NZ and Canada immediately abandoned Britain and supplanted her with America.

Plus, the present push seems to be toward plutocratic continent-states. I don't understand why people think this a good idea, but they seem to.

But Canada is almost right next to Russia :confused:
Reply 57
Psyk

[sarcasm]
No it's not...

Have you looked at a map? Its like the other ends of the earth...
[/sarcasm
Psyk

Not really, there is an ocean in the way. Alaska, maybe, though for all Palin supporters go on about it, it's never been viable to put an army across the Bering Strait.
If only.... this dream of a great multi-continental nation seems long-dead now though. :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending