Turn on thread page Beta

This has to have been the most historical week in british history watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't you all agree? What with the G8 summit, london winning the bid for the next olympics and now the terrorist attacks. :eek: How will the newspapers cope:p:

ReputationRep:
    Weeks not over yet....

Hoping nothing else happens.

ReputationRep:
    same hope nothing else happends this week

ReputationRep:
    um no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    um no...
    recent british history?

ReputationRep:
    Recent yeah but not quite, considering there's been bigger events such as Lockerbie for terror and we've hosted the Olympics twice before but it is quite coincidental...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Don't you all agree? What with the G8 summit, london winning the bid for the next olympics and now the terrorist attacks. :eek: How will the newspapers cope:p:
    not 4getting all the live 8 stuff!!

plus congestion charge went up 4 the first time

ReputationRep:
    But us actually being announced as the winners won't be looked back on in history. Yeah it's big now, but it'll fade away soon enough. The Olympics themselves will be bloody historic.

ReputationRep:
    No, would be my answer... I think winning World War II far supercedes a bunch of aging men talking about money and how their 2nd cousin's brother is, London winning a popularity contest to host a big sports competition and a couple of pounds of explosives going off in london... this being slightly overshadowed by the 13000 tons of explosives dropped by the Germans in 1940 alone during the blitz. So no, it's not the most historical week in British history.

ReputationRep:
    well you showed them didnt you.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    Weeks not over yet....

Week's not over yet, HOWEVER, I rather hope that something should DEFINITELY happen before the time we reach the weekend. I would LOVE to see coppers catching those perpetrator of this inhumane crime & give them a BLOODY NOSE :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's gonna be the most historic
    Obviously far bigger and worse or indeed better things have happened in Britain
    And it's not even quite the scale of September 11th
    But i get what n.m's saying - a lot o pretty sit-up-and-take-notice stuff has happened - and i doubt anyone's gonna forget this week any time soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_billz)
    well you showed them didnt you.....
    ..well he had to.. wasnt gonna be put upon in that way...!

It's not historical, since it didn happen in the past.

HISTORIC....maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Weeks not over yet....

Sounds ominous. I wouldn't really call it that historic though, I mean I see where you are coming from, it certainly looks that way now. But people forget about things really easily. For example, all those poor people who were taken hostage and beheaded in Iraq (Ken Bigley et al) the 300 or so Russian school children who were stripped and shot in a Russian school in September, in fact even 9/11, although definitely not forgotten, is having less of an impact. The year afterwards, memorial ceremonies were huge on the 11th, a few years on, it's not that big a day anymore. Look at the Tsunami even, that region is still in chaos, but people have pretty much forgotten about that. Hundreds of thousands of people died in the Tsunami, and 50 died in London yesterday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mes_bond25)
    Week's not over yet, HOWEVER, I rather hope that something should DEFINITELY happen before the time we reach the weekend. I would LOVE to see coppers catching those perpetrator of this inhumane crime & give them a BLOODY NOSE :mad:
    Yes, police brutality is a joy, isn't it... better yet, why not institute mob rule?

EDIT: yes, I know you don't technically institute mobe rule but you get my meaning

ReputationRep:
    Which perpetrators are you referring to? If it's the terrorists and they're ever brought to justice, I'd torture them slowly personally and put it down to an unfortunate accident in custody.

ReputationRep:
    I would LOVE to see coppers catching those perpetrator of this inhumane crime & give them a BLOODY NOSE :mad:
    surely they should be reconciled with their explosives and shown exactly what they did to our people :vmad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    Which perpetrators are you referring to? If it's the terrorists and they're ever brought to justice, I'd torture them slowly personally and put it down to an unfortunate accident in custody.
    would anyone here object if it wasn't such an accident?

ReputationRep:
    of course yesterdays bombings were tragic but heres an alternative view to those of mr blair and co that they hate our democracy.
    http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle9422.htm
    it would be a tragedy if we were to forget all the other people losing lives because of us were to be forgotten.
    when did a british life become more important then an iraqi, afghani, palestinian, etc ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantona)
    when did a british life become more important then an iraqi, afghani, palestinian, etc ?
    not more important, more relevant perhaps(to brisith people), and more media usable definitely

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.