Turn on thread page Beta

This has to have been the most historical week in british history watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    would anyone here object if it wasn't such an accident?
    me! :mad: you stupid people, if we start torturing/beating/imprisoning without a fair trial these people, hen what the hell do you think we are fighting for? Freedom? Peace? Rubbish! The fact is if we are to maintain the moral high ground in fighitng terrorism and militant fundemantal Islam, we have to stick to the values in whose name we are fighting - somehting you, with your support of vigilante justice and cruel and unusual punishment singularly fail to grasp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    not more important, more relevant perhaps(to brisith people), and more media usable definitely
    well im sure we managed to kill more than 50 iraqi civilians in the first week of the "war on iraq"
    doesnt that deserve to get a mention in history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantona)
    well im sure we managed to kill more than 50 iraqi civilians in the first week of the "war on iraq"
    What about France!?!? What about everything we've accomplished!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~CookieMonster~)
    What about France!?!? What about everything we've accomplished!?!?
    im sorry i dont get wot ur sayin

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with whether or not thir deaths might objectively be considered "worthy" of a mention. It has everything ot do with what Rupert Murdoch thinks will sell newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    would anyone here object if it wasn't such an accident?
    Well yes, what I'd like to do personally and what's best for our country / justice system are two different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    It has nothing to do with whether or not thir deaths might objectively be considered "worthy" of a mention. It has everything ot do with what Rupert Murdoch thinks will sell newspapers.
    well they could have sensationalised it a bit and jazz it up like they did yesterday. u know, have people crying on camera an pictures on the front pages for about 2months .
    Oh! but i forgot wouldn mr blair find it the tiniest bit embarassing.
    good job the papers didnt do that otherwise wed have been out of there a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    And to do with the fact citizens naturally will be more interested and want to hear about in greater depth acts of terror and death which take place in their own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    And to do with the fact citizens naturally will be more interested and want to hear about in greater depth acts of terror and death which take place in their own country.
    ... and less likely to effect their own conscience.

ReputationRep:
    ... and less likely to effect their own conscience.
    I support the war but of course realise civilian casualties in any situation is painful and heartfelt, it's a pity the suicide bombers intent on disrupting the new iraq government don't carry similar sentiments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Don't you all agree? What with the G8 summit, london winning the bid for the next olympics and now the terrorist attacks. :eek: How will the newspapers cope:p:
    Don't be stupid. Two hundred years ago was far more important than this week. This is an important week nonetheless, but to say it is the most historical week in British history is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it IS quite a big week - for personal reasons as well. I'll always remember it!

ReputationRep:
    wtf no, lame thread = b7 AM I RITE? LOL YOUR RITE

ReputationRep:
    when did a british life become more important then an iraqi, afghani, palestinian, etc ?
    To be honest Miss/Mrs/Ms, I couldn't care less (like millions around) as I live in this Land of Hope & Glory & so does my family & friends. If something life-threatening happens WITHIN this country, it concerns me MOST than what's happenening in coutries that's MILES AWAY from me, you see :rolleyes: I feel sympathy for Iraqies/Afghani/Palestinine, etc. but that comes way AFTER my own friends & family, who could be affected by such a calamity just around them.

Now, you wouldn't give me that "Human Right" ***** now, would you ???
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'm not so sure this is the most historic week in British history, but it has certainly been a couple of week where there has probably been unrivialed world media interest in events in and around the UK.

There has been a whole list of evets wich the worlds media would have been interested in if it had happened anywhere. It's a big coincidence that they have all happeend at the same time within the same country.

The terroist attack: in any country they get a lot of attention. In western countries they seem to get more attention. Being in one of the most famous cotoes in the world would create perhaps unprecidented interest. Only the scale of the attacks (being smaller, in terms of deaths, than many other recent teroist attacks, would detract from world media atttention.)

The G8 summit: many countries report this with grea interest, certainly western coutnries. And with people being invited from Africa, South America and Aasia, it will be reported heavily in those areas too.

Live 8: this was always going to be more focused on the UK than anywhere esle as it was set up initially mostly by Bristish people and to coincide with another event in the UK.

Olympics: when ever a Gmaes is awarded it always gets significant emdia covverage around the world, perhaps only rivalled by the actual hosting of the Games themsleves.

Wimbledon: considerde by many people around the world to be the greatest and most important tennis event in the world, out and above the other Grand Slams. The (rather amazing) finals last week end would have caused large media interest.

I'm sure there are several other thigns covered by the media too. I think I've heard the Silverstone Grand Prix is the weekend. Motor racing is a heavily watch and supported sport around the world. Perhaps there will be more media coverage of that. The fact the UK holds the EU presidency and the continuing troubles over the EU buget will focus more attention on the UK. The list culd go on I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    That is a long list and I just realized how much news has to be covered. But one comes after the other in such a short time that not all of the information is packed so tightly. Although these sort of attacks are nothing compared to those experienced in the middle east and on other third world country, we are lucky we got the media resources to tell the whole world what is happenning.

I even read this story about a family, in a car, shot to death by the americans because they thought the person inside the car was suicide bombers. The survivor were their 4 children, the oldest was a least 8 years old. Of course I could argue it was manslaughter, but I never heard it anywhere in the news, but just one article and thats it.

ps. why is that light icon on my name red??? =]
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by nasht)
    ps. why is that light icon on my name red??? =]
    The circle next your name may be red as you may the 'appear invisble setting' turned on, so that other people can't tell when you are on the board (but seen as that circle looks green to me, I guess you don't have this done. To change it, go into your User CP and llook in somewhere like options.

If it's the little red box next your post count, then you have been negative reped. Ie someone has given you negative repuation points to the extent that you have more negaties rep pojnts than positive rep points. To see where you got then from , go into User CP and scroll down to the bottom of the page, it should tell you there if, where and when you got the rep points.

ReputationRep:
    oh my that is sad... i dont even know why im neg repped.. hehehe.. but thanks for info... and, gee thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    although the media is very useful in most circumstances, in terms of informing the world of what's going on, it amplfies events to such degrees of obsessiveness sometimes.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.