Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your views?

ReputationRep:
    English Literature. Definitely. Universities prefer English Lit, and it's also alot more challanging and interesting than English Language.

ReputationRep:
    Literature is more respected as a subject generally, but it really does depend on what your interests and strengths are. They are hugely different courses, just research them at your school and see which one you would prefer to do. Or, if you're really into English you could do both. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Literature is more respected as a subject generally, but it really does depend on what your interests and strengths are. They are hugely different courses, just research them at your school and see which one you would prefer to do. Or, if you're really into English you could do both. xx
    Yeah. My school also give you the option to do English Literature & English Language as one subject; I might add that you should only chose this if you have already filled up your other AS slots. Purely because English Literature & English Language is seen by Universities as "watered down" for both respectable subjects concerned. If you are in need of two AS levels and you have a soft spot for English, choose English Literature and English Language (seperately).

ReputationRep:
    Completely disagree with what you just said about combined. Evidence for this please? I did combined and i'm going on to do an English degree at a reputable university, i don't think it harmed me. It is an amzing course, especially if you're into creative writing. xx

ReputationRep:
    My cousin who went onto study English Literature at Cambridge said most Universities stated that in pretty much these words, English Literature & Language is a watered down subject. I guess it's logical - I mean you've got two subjects combined like you said, thus, less depth and knowledge is obtained in each field (Lang and Lit). However if you did them seperately, you would obtain a wider knowledge. There is no need for evidence, it's just common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Universities do not state that anywhere. Only Warwick does not accept it. I would also like to point out that regardless of the name of the subject, it is not two subjects pushed together, it's completely separate. We don't study anything that the Lang course offers (acquisition of language, socio liquistics etc). We also don't look at the development of characters and themes like Lit students do. it is a completely separate approach to understanding texts. xx

ReputationRep:
    I might add, that the two fields of English are not entirely relative to one another. Basically, in English Literature, you are marked primarily on your ability to interpret written poetry and write analytically about it; you are not given credit for use of wide vocabulary (though you are if you exercise a large poetic vocabulary). In English Language you focus more on written laws, writing for specific audiences and synoptic genre analysis. My Sixth Form requires A at GCSE English, in order to go on and do English Literature seperately; to be permitted to study English combined and English Language seperately, you only need to achieve a B at English GCSE. This is not a sign of popularity of the subjects, moreover a sign of the academic ability required for each subject.

EDIT: I can back that up as well; next year I will be in a class of 12 students for English Literature, whilst the combined course has two classes of around 18 students.

ReputationRep:
    So what does that prove? My college had three Lit classes and one Combined one, all that shows to me is that lit was more popular. Combined is not easier than lit, it's just different. I would find it difficult to get an A in a lit exam, and i'm sure a lit student couldn't walk into a combined exam and get an A either. xx

ReputationRep:
    So what does that prove? My college had three Lit classes and one Combined one, all that shows to me is that lit was more popular. Combined is not easier than lit, it's just different. I would find it difficult to get an A in a lit exam, and i'm sure a lit student couldn't walk into a combined exam and get an A either. xx
    Well, in my case it shows that the entry requirements are based entirely upon cognitive ability, rather than down to popularity of course.

ReputationRep:
    Would any of you say that English Language has a bad reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad reputation; although it's not regarded highly in comparison to English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not applying to do English at university it probably won't matter. Certain subjects like Law however, do prefer you to have a subject like English Lit. If you want to do a competitive course at university these things are worth researching. xx

ReputationRep:
    damn!

ReputationRep:
    If you're not applying to do English at university it probably won't matter. Certain subjects like Law however, do prefer you to have a subject like English Lit. If you want to do a competitive course at university these things are worth researching. xx
    yep hence the bloody reason i had to study one of the worst novels ever written, not dut to its style or even content -per cee.

Just the issues it raises etc... A HANDMAIDS TALE

ReputationRep:
    English Literature. If you have a good teacher it is excellent. Generally, those who picked English Literature were very intelligent and those who picked Language in my school were idiots, but of course this does not reflect on the rest of the country. Language just seems so stupid to me. I can't see any logic in doing it for A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    Language just seems so stupid to me. I can't see any logic in doing it for A level.
    :dito:

its the same with me, i can't fathom it

ReputationRep:
    English literature is more respected, but unless you want to do a degree in English at university, that shouldn't matter. English lit is basically an extension of GCSE, whereas language is a completely different subject and the combined course is a bit of both, so do your research and make sure you'd actually enjoy doing one of those courses.

Oh, and about the debate that the combined course is less respected than straight language, that's rubbish. A lot of good universities will accept the combined course for English but not straight language.

ReputationRep:
    for an english degree, english literature is the required subject, but english language can be useful if you're applying for something like law, PR, or maybe journalism (tho check the entrance requirements to make sure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amzybaby24)
    yep hence the bloody reason i had to study one of the worst novels ever written, not dut to its style or even content -per cee.

Just the issues it raises etc... A HANDMAIDS TALE
    *per se
    Unlucky, I've heard that novel stinks, as you said!

P.S. Kellywood, I never said that Universities don't accept combined, that was mousey's poor interpretation, and I didn't argue that. I argued purely that Universities see combined as a 'watered down' subject in comparrison to Literature. End of.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.