Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Just because you are frustrated that everyone is basically saying the subject you chose is nothing in comparison to Lit, doesn't mean you can demean everyone elses' choices.
    I'm not demeaning everyone elses' choices. If you like Lit, then do it. If you like Lang, do it. If you don't, don't do it. :rolleyes: I think they're both boring :p:

ReputationRep:
    And can people not be so nasty about English please? I'm devoting 3 years of my life to it. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Whizz kid will you stop saying end of please? You sound like Saskia.

To those who said that analysing texts sucked the enjoyment out of them, i don't find that at all! It makes me see things i didn't see before and understand what i'm reading more. I also really enjoy understanding the contexts of a poem or novel, 'The Ballad of reading Gaol' written by Wilde is all the more poignant once you understand why he wrote it and the hidden meanings within it. xx
    I've said it twice, in the hope that this stupid arguement will be ceased. But as you said please, I will try not to say it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    I'm not demeaning everyone elses' choices. If you like Lit, then do it. If you like Lang, do it. If you don't, don't do it. :rolleyes: I think they're both boring :p:
    I hear ya, THEY ARE. I might not even choose Eng Lit. I'm already taking Bio, Chem, Economics and Maths Double - They;re good enough, dunno why I would want to bore myself by choosing Lit. I though it would be a good qual to have.

ReputationRep:
    Whizz kid - well if you don't like it then don't do it! You really would regret picking an A level you didn't like, the motivation to work just wouldn't be there. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Whizz kid - well if you don't like it then don't do it! You really would regret picking an A level you didn't like, the motivation to work just wouldn't be there. xx
    I agree. Bio, Chem and Double Maths will be very demanding subjects - along with Economics, I don't know if I'd have the time or energy left for that matter, to be able to do well in English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    lol that's far too mnay subjects as it is, yeah if you want to do all those subjects above lit then i wouldn't add lit as well. You may collapse from exhaustion. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Just because you are frustrated that everyone is basically saying the subject you chose is nothing in comparison to Lit, doesn't mean you can demean everyone elses' choices.
    Isn't that a tad hypocritical when you're demeaning the choice, not to mention achievement, of everyone who chose language?

ReputationRep:
    It's half and half for me - having to write endless essays on A Streetcar named Desire made me really sick of it, but without studying Hard Times I wouldn't have understood a lot of the humour. Complicated things like poetry and some older language bits of Shakespeare often don't really mean much unless you discuss what they mean with others.

I think whatever you need to know about language you can gain from doing English Lit, but you can't gain lit skills from doing English language a level.

The best way to learn good use of language is to look at the successful examples - existing literature.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished the Eng Lang/Lit AS and it was actally quite a good course, although boring at first :p:
    I go to a grammer school and the majority of Lang/Lit student in my class got A*/A at GCSE while the Lit class got B's. This suggests that students at my school felt more comfortable doing this course. Although this of course only applies to my school.
    In the end it's your choice what course to take not anyone else's. Quoting whizz kid: End of :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished AS English Language OCR and it has been a very interesting course. It is mainly skills based, which may be why less people opt for it. I do find a couple of topics quite similar to Media at GCSE, but mainly because of the way you analyse things.

Personally, I find Lit more frustrating because of the type of analysing. In a couple of Lang topics, it is more about the way things are constructed to convey meaning, etc. I have so far done - intro to lang, 2 pieces original writing and language and social contexts (technology, accents/dialects and power). Next year, like that other guy, I will be doing child language acquisition in addition to language change and a piece of personal study.

I chose Lang because I did better at it at GCSE. I asked the tutors about universities' preferences, and was told they preferred lang. Foolishly, I believed them without the knowledge that they were trying to even the class sizes up....If I'd have known most unis prefer Lit, I would have done that.

My predictions for A Levels are AABB, and my GCSE grades were 2A*,7A and B. Therefore I do not believe, in my college, the more asinine people choose Language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrawuk)
    my GCSE grades were 2A*,7A and B. Therefore I do not believe, in my college, the more asinine people choose Language.
    My school only offers literature at the moment, so everyone who wanted to do English had to do that, but next year they're offering combined, so it will be interesting to see whether there's any difference in ability between those who opt for straight literature and those who go for combined.

ReputationRep:
    My college are considering dropping the Language course and just keeping Combined and Lit, simply because it isn't as popular.

ReputationRep:
    i have to admit, i've got no idea what an english language a-level is like because we were only allowed to take english lit a-level at my school. plus i'm hopefully starting a degree in the subject in october. so, clearly, i've got a bit of a bias. but anyway...

judging by gcses (where i did combined english lit&lang) i'd say if you have to choose between the two, go for english literature. it is better respected among universities (i'm not going to speculate on why, it just is) and i personally found gcse language very boring. all we ever seemed to do was analyse newspaper articles - it wasn't challenging and it wasn't interesting. i imagine this changes somewhat at a-level but, that said, i can't see how it could change alot.

some people don't like english literature because they think it's just reading a book, and reading into it a bit too much. but it does teach you critical analysis skills. what's more, seeing as literature is supposed to be the mirror of society, it can be quite helpful in a more general sense - you learn about things that you wouldn't learn about in english language. catch-22, for example, is interesting in technical terms (the style of writing and the form of the novel) but also very revealing as a piece of political satire.

and yes, even if taking the subject does sometimes mean you find yourself analysing stuff without meaning to and being very critical, i wouldn't say that that was necessarily a bad thing. i think it's quite nice to read harry potter and think, "yeh, she's rich. but her grammar isn't great and, to be honest, her characterisation is pretty shoddy" about jk rowling. because then you have a genuine reason to find the hype annoying.

but in the end, it'd say take whichever one interests you the most. if you don't like reading and criticising, don't take english literature. otherwise, it is a really interesting subject and very rewarding in a way that (although i know i can't properly compare them) i don't imagine english language - at a-level, anyway - would be.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, I think English Language is very intersting, looking at the way people say certain things to convey meaning. I do find it rewarding because it also helps to improve your writing in a variety of styles and genres, as before I tended to 'stick with what I knew'. We do cover (AQA anyway) quite a bit of Literature-type topics as well, such as comparing texts due to social contexts, etc. Whilst I believe that both subjects are equally rewarding and interesting, universities disagree. But if you aren't considering taking English at uni, then it doesn't really matter. Take the subject you did best in at GCSE, like I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrawuk)
    Take the subject you did best in at GCSE, like I did
    I don't think that's a very good idea actually, since A-level English language looks pretty different to the things you study at GCSE, and if you don't enjoy it, you won't put the work in and won't do well regardless of your GCSE grade. The most important thing is to do subjects you'll actually like.

(Original post by Random one)
    What are your views?
    English Language is good for polishing your english and english literature is studying and analysing poetry drama etc. using English. I guess both subjects help improve your english skills, but English Literature has the added bonus of learning literature. A bit of rubbish analysis really.

It really depends on what you wanna do.

English Language is compatable with the Sciences, but English Literature is mainly an Arts subject.

Cheers. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah888)

English Language is compatable with the Sciences, but English Literature is mainly an Arts subject.
    That's an important point actually. English Language is much more scientific in approach than Literature.

ReputationRep:
    That's kinda what I meant to say kelly, as the subjects I did best in at GCSE were my faves, although this may not be the case for some. But if all English is is another A Level to bring up your number, then it may be a good idea to choose something you have performed well in.

I find A Level English Language very simlar to GCSE, but that may just be my exam boards.

Definitely agree it is more scientific, it helped me with Computing in the 'Language and Technology' module but also the approach is more scientific - how aspects of language are combined together, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've done English Lit. and Lang. as separate subjects for AS, and am doing both for A2. I have to say, at my school, most people who are doing both prefer Lang and are dropping Lit. However, I find it hard to decide between the two; as already said, English Language is more scientific, and is the most scientific subject I'm doing.

There are some parts of English Lit which I really enjoyed (Blake's SOngs of Innocence and Experience), but then most of the rest I found dull and boring. And, as I'm doing Theatre Studies as well, I've become cynical about studying plays in English.

In English Language, however, I find really interesting, although after a while of analysing transcripts between magistrates and defendants it can get a bit repetitive and dry.

I would also have to say that I feel someone who studied English Language would be able to teach Lit, but not the other way around, because you do do in-depth analysis in Langauge, but also get to understand different sentence constructions, grammar, etc. etc.

Oh, and don't take English Language if you think that Standard English is the only way that English should be used - I now feel passionate that writing in a way what is not proper by what some people think, or spllng in txt lnguge, is no worse than writing in Standard English, and I also think that 'Ghoti' can spell 'Fish'.

Just my little opinion. J.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.