Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You got an offer for Law at Oxford and you didn't take it?!?! Why the LSE then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    You got an offer for Law at Oxford and you didn't take it?!?! Why the LSE then?
    Ohhhh I did take it.

I didn't meet the offer.

(Perhaps that's why I'm so bitter towards the IB. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restinpieces)
    i can't be sure but i heard if u beg hard enough, and if u miss by only a point, they might take u. but it also depends on ur choice of course, cuz if it's sth as competitive as law, then it'll be a lot harder.
    Are you taking the piss?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Are you taking the piss?
    What's so wrong about what he said? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What's so wrong about what he said? :confused:
    (Original post by ??)
    can't be sure but i heard if u beg hard enough, and if u miss by only a point, they might take u
    Begging? :rolleyes: doesn't seem realistic tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Well, "begging" might not have been the right word. Diplomatically speaking,
    I guess if you "express interest" or attempt to explain why you might not have met up to the offer's requirements while showing them that you'd be willing to make up the deficit if possible - or something - and basically show that you would nevertheless be still extremely interested in attending said university, maybe they might still consider your case. They are human, after all. Although I would not count on a method like this at all.

For a small deficit of say, 1 point or something, then maybe there's hope (a faint glimmer at most), but for anything greater... they'd have to be feeling reeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyyyyy nice that day. Possible of course but who knows :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think he meant that if you carefully explained your reason for not meeting the requirements then they might take that in to serious consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I think he meant that if you carefully explained your reason for not meeting the requirements then they might take that in to serious consideration.
    Okay - don't know why he couldn't have said that, but that's life, full of mysteries.

ReputationRep:
    Okay - don't know why he couldn't have said that, but that's life, full of mysteries.
    Because that expression is common in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Because that expression is common in the US?
    Yeah, and if you hadn't noticed this is primarily a UK site, hence ".co.uk" - so why would I assume he is using American colloquialisms?

P.S. Does "beg really hard" in American terminology translate to "carefully explain"? Strange. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I could see what he meant, beg ≡ explain carefully.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and if you hadn't noticed this is primarily a UK site, hence ".co.uk" - so why would I assume he is using American colloquialisms?

P.S. Does "beg really hard" in American terminology translate to "carefully explain"? Strange. :rolleyes:
    You expect an American living in the US to automatically adopt your phrases?

Beg = do everything in your power to covince someone

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you're wrong. This site used to be called UKL which they changed to TSR because of the growing number of overseas students accessing the site (and there are especially a lot on this sub-forum).

ReputationRep:
    Beg: U.S. coll. def. 'to implore'; U.K. coll. def. 'to beseech'.

I hope this clarifies. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i guess i'll have to be more careful with words next time... but now we're all clear of what it means yeah? peace people. just wish those who miss their requirement some luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christyjl)
    yeah, i think that might work. i'll try my best cus it couldn't hurt to try. and hopefully my luck is there. hehe. thanks a lot, restinpieces. basically i need to contact the subject department manager and the admissions officer right? and is it better to call or send an email?
    i THINK u can try email first. if they don't reply then call. it might be easier and faster though if you have a uni counsellor to help you with it. you know they're usually better at it.

ReputationRep:
    When I found out that my IB results were under par, I called my university first who told me the correct address to email, and also what to say... I think it doesn't matter which you do, call or email first. Personally, I chose to call.

Best of luck, christy... I feel your pain.

ReputationRep:
    hey christy, i also took the IB diploma, and i also narrowly missed the conditions....
    haha, so as you wished, other ppl messed up too, if that makes u feel better....
    i got a total 39 with 7,6,5 for HL.....

hope both of us end up happy..... : )

ReputationRep:
    We should start a club for people who miss their IB conditional offers... =/

sorry to hear, shanghaigal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanghaigal)
    hey christy, i also took the IB diploma, and i also narrowly missed the conditions....
    haha, so as you wished, other ppl messed up too, if that makes u feel better....
    i got a total 39 with 7,6,5 for HL.....

hope both of us end up happy..... : )
    what on earth was the offer!!!! :eek:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 13, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.