Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya all,

For most of my life I’ve been aspiring towards becoming a sound engineer / producer in the music industry. Now at twenty years old, I’m doing my A Levels in politics, history and ICT. I have had a good bit of work experience and have made a lot of contacts, but recently I’ve thought that this should maybe be more of a hobby than a profession. I know that I’d love to be a politician but have never pursued it.

Now I think I’ll regret at least not looking heavily into it. My dream would to be an MP. In my AS Levels I learnt a lot about the institutions and processes in Parliament, but we never discussed how to become a politician. So I’m here now to hopefully get some advice.

I come from a working class background and this is one of the reasons I never looked into it more. Knowing more about politics now I think this could be used as an advantage as it could potentially make me more electable by appealing to average folks. That’s the theory anyway! I’ve found it hard to find much information on how to begin a career in politics.

I don’t want to have to wait until September to talk with my tutor. By that time I want to have to sent my UCAS application off and I need to know if I’m going for a musical or political degree. Could you please explain to me the general avenues that people follow? Also, I know the duties and responsibilities of an MP, but what exactly does an MEP spend his time doing?

I have used the search engine and found some information, notably the Prospects.co.uk website. Someone also advised to join the party you are in support of and engage in local meetings.

Thank you for any for help you can offer. It would also be very useful if you could post some links that provide information on the subject. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really sound like you want to be an MP, to be honest, and in general the people that want to go straight into it are the least suitable and least electable. Think about the civil service, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Hi RxB,

Thanks for the reply. Currently I'm far from convinced that I want a career as an MP, so you're right in saying I sound unsure. That's why I'm doing research on the subject and asking for information here. You make an interesting point about going straight into politics. I think it may well be best to continue with music production until a later point in my life when I may decide to enter the political arena. Until then, I'd stay active in politics and try to become more involved. At the minute I serve as student president so that's a start.

The civil service is a real possibility and I'm also looking into that. Thanks again. If you or anyone else have any more advice I'd love to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick update, folks. There seems to be a severe lack of information on this subject on the web. I've started reading a couple of books to try to dig up more information - one is a general politics book and the other an autobiography of an ex-Prime Minister. After finding out more on my journey I'm going to try to write up a report to help people who want to go into politics but don't know where to start. Add your advice here if you wish to and I'll incorporate that as well. When finished I'll post it up here.

ReputationRep:
    You may find this book useful.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.