Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello! basically, i've accepted bristol as my insurance offer this year, and i've had a letter from the university talking about the problems of finding accommodation for me if i need to take the place. does anyone here know (from past experience) what the chances are of being allocated university accomodation if you go to bristol after accepting an insurance offer? or will i definitely need to find somewhere to live on my own? this is worrying me because i really really can't cook lol.

ReputationRep:
    hey. im on the same boat, putting bristol as my insurance choice too. i put LSE as my firm. and i didnt meet LSE's offer, so now im quite worried. all i know is that we will be placed in the non-guarantee students and our accomodation will only be consideration after all the 'firm' students have been placed accordingly. you can only wait, or perhaps send the accomodation manager an email. btw, what course r you taking?

ReputationRep:
    i believe they only "guarantee" if you were a firm offer... however i may be wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThE_OnE)
    i believe they only "guarantee" if you were a firm offer... however i may be wrong
    They only "guarentee" if you have a firm offer, you make the grades for that offer (obviously) and have returned your accommodation forms by the 12th of July. The others (including those coming to Bristol as their insurance) are given what is left of the other places available. I dunno what the figures are or what chances you have of getting a place in Bristol's accommodation if you have an insurance place but, by the looks of it, it is possible and the Uni will help you sort something out if you don't get a place i'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    those were the words i was looking for! ty philD

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure what the odds are of getting a uni accomm place. Competition for some halls is extremely high so be prepared that if the uni do have a place for you, it will be one of the least popular halls, or may well be in a 'student house' which are smaller than halls, and are obviously not catered...might be a good idea to start learning to cook if you don't want to live off takeaways!

I am pretty sure that if they don't have a place for you, you won't be left trying to find somewhere on your own...the uni has a really good accommodation service to help you find approved privately rented places, and would give you loads of help. And if you're really not happy with where you end up, you can be put on a waiting list for a place in halls, people inevitably drop out in the first few weeks.Try getting in touch with the accomm office & see what their advice is.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people will drop out and lots of ppl won't make the grade to get in a Bristol so there will be spare rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    lots of ppl won't make the grade to get in a Bristol
    Thanks for remindin' us...

ReputationRep:
    thank you all! i knew they only guaranteed people with a firm offer, but i'm now not quite as worried about the whole accommodation thing as i was. still, i might send the accommodation person an email to ask more. plus i think i'm going to try and learn to cook a bit better, otherwise i'll be living on toast and pizza :s:

and (in reply to christyjl's comment) i'm taking english.

thankee kindly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    but i'm now not quite as worried about the whole accommodation thing as i was. still, i might send the accommodation person an email to ask more.
    This info might be a bit old, but i read somewhere that Bristol can provide accommodation in halls for 95% of first year students and give places in halls to 90% of new students. So by the looks of it you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to be offered a place somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I am worried too. Plus I'm not in the country on the 12th September which is when they tell you whether you've got acc. or not. Add to this my resentment of excessive formage and I am not a happy insurance acceptee.. Well, I am, but I'm still stressed about the details.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.