Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    MY DAD GETS ALL THE LUCK!

Not that it should be considered 'lucky' when something good comes out of the London bombings, but rather that all the fortunate things happen to my dad and not me.

At the moment he's in New Zealand on business and also out there to watch the rugby :rolleyes: He phoned up last night saying he'd just got off the plane there and had read a newspaper about what happened, and asked what was going on and if we were all OK (he works in central London and my sister was there at the time). I then explained everything to him.

Now, he just phoned up saying:
    - He just gave a speech to the whole British [edited!] and NZ rugby teams about the bombings
    - Then a speech to the whole stadium about the bombings
    - He met the NZ high comissioner who chose him to present a wreath about the bombings
    - Some Mauri leader congratulated him and gave him his necklace saying that he deserved it as my dad's speech was so moving!

How on earth did he get to do all that! Anyway, I was the one that told him everything... he should have credited me!

Again, the bombings are such a tragic thing to have happened and of course I'm not forgetting all the people that have died when I say how lucky my dad was.

ReputationRep:
    good for your dad. Obviously he was the only londoner who had heard what had happened from a family member etc, and on the papers. You should ask him how he got permission to speak to the whole stadium lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    - He just gave a speech to the whole England and NZ rugby teams about the bombings
    England team in New Zealand? Sorry but as far as I know, it's the British and Irish Lions who are touring New Zealand.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the Scots and the Irish were off drowning their sorrows in true stereotypical fashion.

I wont make the obvious joke about the welsh and the amount of a certain herbivore there are in New Zealand. Instead Ill replace it with this wonderful fact: there are more sheep than humans in New Zealand!

Your father is very fortunate! but why did he get to speak?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    England team in New Zealand? Sorry but as far as I know, it's the British and Irish Lions who are touring New Zealand.
    Sorry, I don't know anything about rugby! Just knew there was an England rugby team and assumed it was them

No idea how he got to speak! Just luck I think. He was at the World Cup in Australia and somehow met the team then - apparently they recognised him and as he was from London they asked him to speak!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, no offence, but I wouldn't have posted it. I know you don't mean to be brash or offensive, but it does seem rather insensitive to post. You shouldn't be acting so chuffed, it's not really something to be proud of, I mean, it wasn't you who made the speech it was your dad, and even he shouldn't be feeling heroic or anything. I think it's a bit of a silly thing to be honest; that he should have made a speech to the whole stadium, like it was some feat of glory. Also, as an ordinary civilian (if he is), and you, none of the information is really confirmed as yet...*shrugs*. I just wouldn't have posted this, personally.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.