Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    i'd say it would be difficult to be exempted. i tried my hardest and got nowhere. i doubt there's much you can do, other than "forget" about the lessons - although i suppose that depends on how many you get.

if you can't avoid the lessons, i'd advise just turning up and being bored in a very pointed manner. give handouts back to the teachers at the end of the lessons and stuff. it doesn't really achieve much, but at the same time, it doesn't half make you feel better. plus the exams can be quite fun - you can play exam games (make a list of words, for e.g. 'ketchup,' 'flamenco' and 'chimera' and see if you can get them into your exam script. or try and turn the exam on its head and subtly criticise the education system, most particularly, pointless GS exams.) i assure you that it is possible to do this and still get full marks.

i know you wanted ways of getting out of GS so sorry i'm not very helpful there. only advice is: if they won't let you drop it, make it hard for them. i know it's very childish and petty but if they don't trust you to make your own decisions about your education, i feel that they're asking for it.
    Is this not just SUCH a waste of energy? why not just get on with it? Don't go to the lessons if you don't want to, but being that childish surely just proves that you're not mature enough to mak e your own choices :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    Is this not just SUCH a waste of energy? why not just get on with it? Don't go to the lessons if you don't want to, but being that childish surely just proves that you're not mature enough to mak e your own choices :rolleyes:
    i can see your point, there. and to quote my own post, "i know it's very childish and petty." however, i would contest the 'it's a waste of energy' and the 'proves that you're not mature enough to make your own choices' bits for the following reasons:

1. i had to take the subject despite the fact that none of my universities will accept the grade that i get, therefore i believe that taking GS seriously would have been more of a waste of energy than having a bit of fun was.
    2. i avoided as many lessons as i could but, not being the skiving type, i still had to go to quite a few. i don't like having mountains of crappy handouts in my room, so why not give them back?
    3. i do not think that deciding not to take GS seriously is immature. compared with my other subjects, GS was utterly meaningless. therefore, all i did was think for myself, and make a decision based on my own assessment of my ability. as a result, i was under less stress come exam-time and i enjoyed myself in what would otherwise have been a really tedious 6 hours or so.
    4. i actually got 100% in the general studies AS even though i played the word list game, and the criticising-the-GS-exam-in-the-GS-exam game (both of which were very fun). as such, i don't think i would have gained anything by "just getting on with it." it would simply have made the entire process far more boring.

i'm not a slacker; i'm not stupid; and, as far as i can tell, i am not hopelessly immature. i just think that in the grand scheme of things, general studies is pretty unimportant. i'm sorry if i offended you by not taking it seriously or something. but please, lighten up a little, there's really no need to patronise me! i'm just saying that, if you're in the situation i was, there are ways of making it less dull!!

ReputationRep:
    i can see your point, there. and to quote my own post, "i know it's very childish and petty." however, i would contest the 'it's a waste of energy' and the 'proves that you're not mature enough to make your own choices' bits for the following reasons:

1. i had to take the subject despite the fact that none of my universities will accept the grade that i get, therefore i believe that taking GS seriously would have been more of a waste of energy than having a bit of fun was.
    2. i avoided as many lessons as i could but, not being the skiving type, i still had to go to quite a few. i don't like having mountains of crappy handouts in my room, so why not give them back?
    3. i do not think that deciding not to take GS seriously is immature. compared with my other subjects, GS was utterly meaningless. therefore, all i did was think for myself, and make a decision based on my own assessment of my ability. as a result, i was under less stress come exam-time and i enjoyed myself in what would otherwise have been a really tedious 6 hours or so.
    4. i actually got 100% in the general studies AS even though i played the word list game, and the criticising-the-GS-exam-in-the-GS-exam game (both of which were very fun). as such, i don't think i would have gained anything by "just getting on with it." it would simply have made the entire process far more boring.

i'm not a slacker; i'm not stupid; and, as far as i can tell, i am not hopelessly immature. i just think that in the grand scheme of things, general studies is pretty unimportant. i'm sorry if i offended you by not taking it seriously or something. but please, lighten up a little, there's really no need to patronise me! i'm just saying that, if you're in the situation i was, there are ways of making it less dull!!
    I didn't mean that, actually - i meant that spending lots of time trying to convince teachers to let you give it up, concocting arguments as to why you shouldn't take it is more effort that just getting on with it. But some people in my year started a 'crusade' against it, their main arguments being that they needed the time to concentrate on their other subjects...yet using their free periods to develop their argument against GS!

I misunderstood your original post, sorry for any upset caused. I wasn't offended, just stating my view. Sounds like you did the same as me anyway, what with the word list game and suchlike

Also - my university didn't accept GS, as such, but it can be used as a bartering tool, it does give you some extra points, and believe it or not there probs are some skills to be learned from it - ********ting being the main one!

ReputationRep:
    We don't get handouts during GS lessons. All we do is do past papers and talk about what's going on in the world, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    I didn't mean that, actually - i meant that spending lots of time trying to convince teachers to let you give it up, concocting arguments as to why you shouldn't take it is more effort that just getting on with it. But some people in my year started a 'crusade' against it, their main arguments being that they needed the time to concentrate on their other subjects...yet using their free periods to develop their argument against GS!

I misunderstood your original post, sorry for any upset caused. I wasn't offended, just stating my view. Sounds like you did the same as me anyway, what with the word list game and suchlike

Also - my university didn't accept GS, as such, but it can be used as a bartering tool, it does give you some extra points, and believe it or not there probs are some skills to be learned from it - ********ting being the main one!
    lol ok. yeh, the only time i wasted was general studies time - no crusades here! you're definitely right about the ********ting, though. i feel i am an expert at it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    We don't get handouts during GS lessons. All we do is do past papers and talk about what's going on in the world, etc...
    the past papers are handouts. i swear they must chop down whole forests just so that they can give us boring past paper handouts.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got the word parachute into all of our general studies papers - except the multi-choice ones lol I didn't know other people had this idea as well!!
    In our school if you didn't turn up to enough general studies lessons you were not entered for the exam. Or maybe you could just explain you would rather concentrate on your other subjects. But general studies is still an A Level. You don't really have to do much and hopefully you will come out with a good grade at the end of it and if not what have you lost really?

ReputationRep:
    the past papers are handouts. i swear they must chop down whole forests just so that they can give us boring past paper handouts.
    We have to give the past papers back though, that means we don't keep them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillym2001uk)
    My friend got the word parachute into all of our general studies papers - except the multi-choice ones lol I didn't know other people had this idea as well!!
    At AS, one of my friends managed to mention David Beckham in all of her exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    We have to give the past papers back though, that means we don't keep them.
    that's good. my school photocopied them and gave them out for us to keep, rather than just reuse old exam copies. which was not so good.

ReputationRep:
    that's good. my school photocopied them and gave them out for us to keep, rather than just reuse old exam copies. which was not so good.
    We got original copies of the GS exams. That is why we need to give them back.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.