Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im a 16 and just finished my GCSE. Im expecting my results next month, im predicted C in maths , english and science. I am not extremely top smart dog such as being in top groups for every subject. I am just average but can and can be smart if i really push expecting 9 A-C in my GCSE , most of them being C and 2/3 B's.

Its only suddenly i have found the instrest of becoming a pilot, after years my heart has been set on becoming a royal marine. after reading through RAF and navy website about the pilot sides have gotten me even more instrested. I seem to think the pilot career suits me best. I start college in september and still have time to decide what subjects i am going to take. I have not visited my local AFCO yet. Although i have been sent information packs etc from RAF.

After reading through alot of the post about miltary pilots in previous threads it seems it is very hard to get into it. I was just woundering is it to late to start thinking about becoming a pilot as i have no formal back ground in air cadets or even been to AFC and have no clue about what it takes about becoming a pilot.

So i just what to know can a guy like me every become a military pilot or do i have no chance becoming one because i dont want to take the needed subjects to become a pilot at college if i have no chance to becoming one?

P.s reading from a previous post i can tell you i have a great fitness and excellent eyesite, able to multi-task, awareness and decisiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrix99)
    Im a 16 and just finished my GCSE. Im expecting my results next month, im predicted C in maths , english and science. I am not extremely top smart dog such as being in top groups for every subject. I am just average but can and can be smart if i really push expecting 9 A-C in my GCSE , most of them being C and 2/3 B's.

Its only suddenly i have found the instrest of becoming a pilot, after years my heart has been set on becoming a royal marine. after reading through RAF and navy website about the pilot sides have gotten me even more instrested. I seem to think the pilot career suits me best. I start college in september and still have time to decide what subjects i am going to take. I have not visited my local AFCO yet. Although i have been sent information packs etc from RAF.

After reading through alot of the post about miltary pilots in previous threads it seems it is very hard to get into it. I was just woundering is it to late to start thinking about becoming a pilot as i have no formal back ground in air cadets or even been to AFC and have no clue about what it takes about becoming a pilot.

So i just what to know can a guy like me every become a military pilot or do i have no chance becoming one because i dont want to take the needed subjects to become a pilot at college if i have no chance to becoming one?

P.s reading from a previous post i can tell you i have a great fitness and excellent eyesite, able to multi-task, awareness and decisiveness.
    Anyone can be a pilot provided they do not have any allergies, such as, hayfever, asthma etc, have perfect hearing, have perfect eyesight and must be within certain height restrictions.

Yes it is very hard to get into but if you are dedicated and motivated to join then there is nothing separating you from a grade A student to becoming a pilot.

You do need a background in maths, english and a science subject to become an officer in the RAF but apart from that they just want people who can excel in the aptitude tests, fitness tests and have good leadership and interview skills. Just because you are not a grade A student doesn't mean that you won't be good at aptitude tests because aptitude tests are designed to test your brain to see if you have the correct brain to become a pilot, to cope with the very demanding, multi-tasking environment.

Just read through all the other threads, in particular the RAF Officer/Pilot FAQ's, they will give you a better understanding of the amount of work that the RAF will expect you to do before you can join.

I would advise you to go into your nearest AFCO and ask for information and DVD's about the RAF and Pilot, and they will give you glossy magazines and leaflets to help you on your way.

Nice to have you join us,
    Cal

ReputationRep:
    Is there not an ATC group or similar to the likes near you that you could join now? Just because you haven't attended in the past doesn't mean you can't start now. It'll give you an insight into it, if that's what you want to persue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Wench)
    Is there not an ATC group or similar to the likes near you that you could join now? Just because you haven't attended in the past doesn't mean you can't start now. It'll give you an insight into it, if that's what you want to persue.
    Yeah, if you want to become a pilot, I definitely suggest you start NOW. Join your ATC, do lots of sports and community work (volunteering, charity work etc), keep up to date with current affairs (buy a decent newspaper, watch the news), keep up to date with military deployments (see Blackhawk's FAQ sites for brill info), etc, etc.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replys peeps. Im going to go to my afco asap.
    1 more question i hear alot of people get Scholarships and other sponsherships so they have more of a chance of becoming a pilot. I dont excalty have a clue what a scholarship is or how to get one. Could some please explain what are these and how could i find more information about getting one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replys peeps. Im going to go to my afco asap.
    1 more question i hear alot of people get Scholarships and other sponsherships so they have more of a chance of becoming a pilot. I dont excalty have a clue what a scholarship is or how to get one. Could some please explain what are these and how could i find more information about getting one.
    The AFCO's have the best answers for all your questions, I do not really know what a scholarship is but I don't think it gives you a better chance of becoming a pilot. I think the RAF decides that you have potential based on tests and interviews and so if you are interested in a career in the RAF from a relatively early age they can help fund your education and also help you to stay interested and motivated by helping you where ever possible to pursue your chosen career (in the RAF).

Cal

ReputationRep:
    just reading through your thread, and thought i might give you a bit of the basic info before you go to the AFCO. Your 16 right? Well if your really wanted to get started early on the RAF thing you can apply for scholarships.First of all there is a 6th form scholarship which you apply for a the beginning of year 12..u would need to start getting in contact with your AFCO in september time as you need to have presentations, pre interviesw etc...the deadline is 30 Nov. You can recieve sponsorship for Pilot, Engineer, Air traffic control, Fighter control and Medical officer only. You will go to cranwell jan time, and complete part 1 of the selection, which is Aptitude tests, Medicals and interviews. If you are awarded this, you will recieve £1000 or £2000 dependant upon which branch you go in to, and then have to complete a 2 week course in scotland which is full of adventurous activities. You can also apply for university bursary in year 13, whioch is compulsory if you resieve the 6th form scholarship, but you can apply for it again if you are unsuccessful with the 6th form, or you can just start with the university sponsorhip. For this you go through the same process with the AFCO, and then attend cranwell between Jan and Mar. This time you complete the whole selection process. Part 1 again, and part 2 which includes dicussion, planning, and exercise phase..and you have an additional academic interview. Im sure you can read about this in another thread. If you are awarded univeristy bursary, you will be sponsored through uni to a value dependant upon branch. I think pilot is £1000 a year,engineer £4000 or £5500 etc etc. You have to join the university air squadron and enter as an officer upon completing it. There is no commitment to join if you are awrded a 6th form sponsorship.
    The AFCO are pretty helpful with it all, plenty of info, presentations etc. Its definately worth going for if your interested at your age, as it could be really rewarding. Just make sure you know your stuff...you need to know all your info for your interview as you would if you were applying for direct entry. (Also, if you have the 6th form scholarship, you can enter as a direct entrant the year after instead of uiniversity).
    Hope its of some help to you, good luck.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.