Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dry your eyes mate is about as beautiful as Maxwell's top row of teeth.
    Completely agree. That is so not ****ing beautiful. Mike Skinner is indeed a chavvy *******, some of his stuff on Original Pirate Material was good, and I used to like him. But his next album was crap; and simultaneously everybody started to like him! Whatever.

i think all day long i dream about sex by jc chasez is a beautiful song.
    lmao!!

Erm, beautiful songs. Well the obvious would be "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, but we won't go there.

Anything by Damo. (Damien Rice). But especially;
    "Insane"
    "Nine Crimes"
    "Wooden Horse"
    "Boring Afternoon"
    "Groovin'"
    "Lonelily"
    "Lonely Soldier"
    "Fool"
    "Rule No.2 (Y-Junction)"
    "Volcano" (especially the reggae version!! :p: )
    "The Blowers Daughter Part II"

Some of the above are real tear jerkers, but others are just genuinely beautiful songs, not necessarily 'get the tissues ready' songs. (No sly comments there please!) I could go on though...all of Damo's stuff is beautiful, in my opinion.

Erm, what else? Turin Brakes are another beautiful act. "Ether Song" by TB is particularly beautiful, and lets face it, most of their first album, The Optomist LP (too many to mention). But from the "Ether Song" album, the title track is particularly beautiful.

Most of Snow Patrol's "Final Straw" album as well. Especially "Somewhere A Clock is Ticking", "Chocolate", "How to be Dead" and "Gleaming Auction".

David Gray is another good 'un for beautiful songs. "White Ladder" is full of them. Especially "My Oh My".

And all of Coldplay's stuff is beautiful! I couldn't possibly pick one song (ok then I can: "Fix You"), but it's all great. I LOVE "Shiver" from "Parachutes", and "Green Eyes" from "AROBTTH" Coldplay define "beautiful"!

Individually, "Drops of Jupiter" by Train is lovely. As is "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Craig Armstrong does some good stuff; he's a classical composer and has done lots for soundtracks and what not. He did most of Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet, and did quite a bit for Cruel Intentions and Love Actually. His songs are very moving.

Bell X1's stuff is really beautiful (Bell X1 are an Irish band which formed from Juniper; Damien Rice's old band). I particularly find "In Every Sunflower" and "Eve, The Apple of my Eye" rather beautiful.

Ultimately though, the most beautiful songs must include; "You Could Make A Killing" by Aimee Mann, "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan (all of her stuff is moving), "Wires" by Athlete, "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith and "Every Breath You Take" by The Police.

Ultimately though, the two (I couldn't choose between 'em) most beautiful songs EVER, are; *drumroll*..."Colourblind" by Counting Crows, and, "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve.

ReputationRep:
    Most of Snow Patrol's "Final Straw" album as well. Especially "Somewhere A Clock is Ticking", "Chocolate", "How to be Dead" and "Gleaming Auction".
    [QUOTE=zhivago]

how to be dead. so true, touching and beautiful. genius.

ReputationRep:
    Street spirit - Radiohead
    Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
    1000 mirrors - Asian Dub Foundation
    Don't leave - Faithless
    Pardon me - Incubus
    Colourblind - Counting Crows
    Hedonism - Skunk Anansie
    Drops of Jupiter - Train (agreed, whoever said this one)
    Wait for the horrible tackyness of this one... Perfect by Alanis Morisette

Wow, I could just go on forever... but I'll stop there :rolleyes:

Now I'm listening to them...
    :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with Snow Patrol/Damien Rice/Police/The Verve...basically there are so many beautiful songs

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with Snow Patrol/Damien Rice/Police/The Verve...basically there are so many beautiful songs
    Cheers. They really are good, no?

Colourblind - Counting Crows
    Hedonism - Skunk Anansie

Drops of Jupiter - Train (agreed, whoever said this one)
    Wait for the horrible tackyness of this one... Perfect by Alanis Morisette
    Yep, "Drops of Jupiter" and "Colourblind". I don't know about "Perfect" but I definitely like Alanis Morisette generally. She's great. I love "You Learn".

how to be dead. so true, touching and beautiful. genius.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Everything by Lifehouse

ReputationRep:
    underneath the weeping willow - grandaddy
    powder blue - elbow
    tijuana lady - gomez
    the chalet lines - belle and sebastian
    there is a light that never goes out - the smiths

no more need i say.

ReputationRep:
    except...

natural history - i am kloot

the whole album is plethora of beauty...

ReputationRep:
    Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor is pretty heart rending, especially watching the video at the same time.

My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion always gets me going lol

Everything I Do (I Do It For You) by Bryan Adams, especially when you've seen the film it goes with - Robin Hood I think it is

Too Much Love Will Kill You by Queen always makes me cry

Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy - a classic

I know there's so much more but my mind's gone relatively blank now :rolleyes:

(Original post by SW)
    And Buried Myself Alive!! :eek:

That is one sad song...

The line "You almost made me cry again this time..." :bawling:

So yeah... If you want a teary night in... that album is the way for it...
    *bursts into tears*
    lovely songs

ReputationRep:
    salt wounded routine, into the fire-thirteen sense

ReputationRep:
    i have 100's Angel Fall First i love...

that came up cause i actualy had it on when i clicked into the thread

every thing i do, i do it for you has been a fav of mine for years tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    And all of Coldplay's stuff is beautiful! I couldn't possibly pick one song (ok then I can: "Fix You"), but it's all great. I LOVE "Shiver" from "Parachutes", and "Green Eyes" from "AROBTTH" Coldplay define "beautiful"!

, "[IBitter Sweet Symphony[/I]" by The Verve.
    Totally agree. I heard Bittersweet Symphony in whole for the 1st time last week, and thought 'WOW'

ReputationRep:
    Louis Armstrong - All The Time in the World
    Al Green - How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
    The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

and i havent heard much coldplay.. but most of the stuff ive heard isnt beautiful. 'trouble' comes close... but not quite. 'green eyes' sure as hell isnt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Anything by Damo. (Damien Rice). But especially;
    "Insane"
    "Nine Crimes"
    "Wooden Horse"
    "Boring Afternoon"
    "Groovin'"
    "Lonelily"
    "Lonely Soldier"
    "Fool"
    "Rule No.2 (Y-Junction)"
    "Volcano" (especially the reggae version!! :p: )
    "The Blowers Daughter Part II"

Some of the above are real tear jerkers, but others are just genuinely beautiful songs, not necessarily 'get the tissues ready' songs. (No sly comments there please!) I could go on though...all of Damo's stuff is beautiful, in my opinion.

Erm, what else? Turin Brakes are another beautiful act. "Ether Song" by TB is particularly beautiful, and lets face it, most of their first album, The Optomist LP (too many to mention). But from the "Ether Song" album, the title track is particularly beautiful.

David Gray is another good 'un for beautiful songs. "White Ladder" is full of them. Especially "My Oh My".

Individually, "Drops of Jupiter" by Train is lovely. As is "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Craig Armstrong does some good stuff; he's a classical composer and has done lots for soundtracks and what not. He did most of Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet, and did quite a bit for Cruel Intentions and Love Actually. His songs are very moving.

Bell X1's stuff is really beautiful (Bell X1 are an Irish band which formed from Juniper; Damien Rice's old band). I particularly find "In Every Sunflower" and "Eve, The Apple of my Eye" rather beautiful.

Ultimately though, the most beautiful songs must include; "You Could Make A Killing" by Aimee Mann, "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan (all of her stuff is moving), "Wires" by Athlete, "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith and "Every Breath You Take" by The Police.

Ultimately though, the two (I couldn't choose between 'em) most beautiful songs EVER, are; *drumroll*..."Colourblind" by Counting Crows, and, "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve.
    This thread is great, good music. J

A lot of songs I think are beautiful have already been named (LaCienega Just Smiled, Cannonball) but Aqualung’s Strange & Beautiful (actually most anything he does can be called beautiful), God Only Knows, and John Mayer’s Homelife and Daughters (a few other songs I can’t quite thing of at the moment) are all beautiful songs.

Edit: "Wonderwall," Ryan Adam's Cover

ReputationRep:
    yeah, a lot of the songs i find beautiful have been mentioned already, especially lifehouse, snow patrol, damien rice, james blunt, train, coldplay, bryan adams, muse, hmmmmm i think i could go on

great thread by the way

ReputationRep:
    fix you--coldplay

ReputationRep:
    Cheers to everyone who's agreed with me. Glad to see we share the same opinion.

This thread is great, good music. J

A lot of songs I think are beautiful have already been named (LaCienega Just Smiled, Cannonball) but Aqualung’s Strange & Beautiful (actually most anything he does can be called beautiful), God Only Knows, and John Mayer’s Homelife and Daughters (a few other songs I can’t quite thing of at the moment) are all beautiful songs.

Edit: "Wonderwall," Ryan Adam's Cover
    Aqualung's "Strange and Beautiful" - very much so. Very breathy kind of voice, if you get me, with the tinkering piano. Nice.

"Wonderwall" by Oasis itself is great, but Ryan Adams cover is very emotional. I first heard it on "The OC" and it's been with me ever since.

Also, "I Fought In A War" by Belle & Sebastien is moving, as is the cover Damien Rice does.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I agree with whoever said Sinead O'Connor - "Nothing Compares 2 U". Prince wrote that song didn't he? Some of it's value has been taken away though because it's so overplayed, so not as emotional as it was for me.

"Stay" by Shakespeare's Sister as well. :p:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Nick Cave's stuff too. And My Drug Buddy by the Lemonheads (everyone should listen to that song).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.