basic chemical equlibrium question, gcse level i think!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
in this equilibrium (just imagine the arrows are there)
CH3COOH CH3COO- + H+

if there is excess CH3COOH and hence the equlibirum trys to counteract this, producing more H+ ions, has the position of equilibrium shifted to the right or left??

i always get this messed up! plz help!
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
in this equilibrium (just imagine the arrows are there)
CH3COOH CH3COO- + H+

if there is excess CH3COOH and hence the equlibirum trys to counteract this, producing more H+ ions, has the position of equilibrium shifted to the right or left??

i always get this messed up! plz help!
An increase in CH3COOH concentration(or it in excess) causes a shift of the equilibriumto the right, in order to maintain the equilibrium.

[If there is a change to the system (could be concentration, temp. pressure), the equilibrium will shift in orderto minimise the change. If there was a greater H+ conc. then the equilibrium will shift to the left in order to keep the balance.]
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
An increase in CH3COOH concentration(or it in excess) causes a shift of the equilibriumto the right, in order to maintain the equilibrium.

[If there is a change to the system (could be concentration, temp. pressure), the equilibrium will shift in orderto minimise the change. If there was a greater H+ conc. then the equilibrium will shift to the left in order to keep the balance.]

thanks soo much! my brains gone nutty! even the spellchecker wont do a word count ne more grr! it stopped counting at abuot 11000 words and now jus says ive done 1000 words grrr stupid microsoft word!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.18%
Confident (65)
13.63%
Indifferent (66)
13.84%
Unsure (119)
24.95%
Worried (188)
39.41%

Watched Threads