Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Wow :eek: Trinity sounds really traditional and old fashioned though - what do you think of it? Damn, I wish I'd thought to look around - I spent a fortune on going to the Open Day and never saw Trinity (only saw Emma, Newnham, Pembroke, King's and Corpus)
    Perhaps the rent is low owing to the kitchen facilities...or lack of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    Perhaps the rent is low owing to the kitchen facilities...or lack of
    which isn't really going to matter if you're not planning to cook anw. is trinity's hall food expensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Which are the richest colleges then? I know trinity is one.
    John's is another I guess.

ReputationRep:
    newnham is hardly poor... for example puppy mentioned a £50 book grant from trinity. at newnham it's 30-40% of whatever you spent on books. i'm not saying it's rolling in money, but money definitely isn't a reason not to apply.

I'd say go with your gut feeling anyway. I was originally going to apply to Kings, but like epitome just got blown away by newnham. it was the only place that felt like home. then again, if the gut reaction was based mainly on aesthetics, i would be careful. there are so many beautiful buildings in cambridge and even if you were at the ugliest college you would get more chances than most people get in their lifetimes to revel in gorgeous architechture *can't spell*. The facilities at Newnham are definitely better and these are the things that will affect your day to day life a lot more.

The distance thing means nothing. Pem is 10 mins tops from the english faculty anyway, much less if you bike it. cambridge is such a small town that distance really only affects people in girton and homerton. have you checked out the jcr websites? sometimes they give a more accurate representation of college life than the college sites themselves.

all of that said, you're unlikely to regret your decision, whichever one you make. if it comes to it, don't be afraid to toss a coin. almost everyone loves their college in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Right: thanks for all of the advice. I have another 2 months to decide, but I'll probably apply to Newnham and then if I do end up at Cambridge, make sure I have friends in Pembroke so I can visit and revel in the architecture

ReputationRep:
    I was at the Open Day too. For me it's between Pembroke and Emma. I fell in love with Pembroke as well, I think it's gorgeous. But I looked round Emma and didnt get a chance to do that for Pembroke. I also liked Newnham, but I don't want to go to an all-girl's college. I'd go there if I got pooled.
    Anyway, were you at the English dept. thing any day? Just wondering if I saw you. I was there on Thursday afternoon looking around and at one of the talks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shieldmaiden)
    I was at the Open Day too. For me it's between Pembroke and Emma. I fell in love with Pembroke as well, I think it's gorgeous. But I looked round Emma and didnt get a chance to do that for Pembroke. I also liked Newnham, but I don't want to go to an all-girl's college. I'd go there if I got pooled.
    Anyway, were you at the English dept. thing any day? Just wondering if I saw you. I was there on Thursday afternoon looking around and at one of the talks.
    Yep I was there whereabouts were you in the talk? I *think* I was in the first talk - it was so packed you could hardly breathe and couldn't move :eek: I can't believe how many people there were thinking about English at York and Cambridge - no wonder it's seen as competitive!

Pembroke was breathtaking. I didn't like Emma much though

ReputationRep:
    I heard that at Newnham the accommodation is randomly ballotted and all costs £73 - whilst this is great if you end up with a nice big room, must be annoying if you're paying this much for a total hole... Does anyone know how bearable the worst rooms are? I only saw a couple. I reeally want a room with a bath to myself when I go to university

ReputationRep:
    there are a few ensuite rooms but it's only really possible to get them if you are a third year. None of the rooms are total holes. There are a few that are considered substandard but if you get one of them you get put automatically at the top of the ballot in the next year and to be honest they are still better than what a lot of people get at home and a hell of a lot better than what I've seen at other unis and even other colleges. I think Katie J ended up with a substandard room this year and she managed fine but i guess she'll have more to say on the subject. My other college sister was in a substandard room but she didn't even realise it was substandard until she was told that it was. So rooms really range from average-small to absolutely huge with tons of antique furniture and chaise longues etc. The ballot isn't completely random. It just decides the order in which people pick their rooms. Third years go first, then 2nd years. The only time when you don't get to choose your room is first year when they are randomly allocated but like i mentioned, if you get a small room you get to choose first for 2nd year. The good thing about the Newnham system is that, rich or poor, everyone has exactly the same chances of getting a stupendously nice room at some point.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that at Newnham the accommodation is randomly ballotted and all costs £73 - whilst this is great if you end up with a nice big room, must be annoying if you're paying this much for a total hole... Does anyone know how bearable the worst rooms are? I only saw a couple. I reeally want a room with a bath to myself when I go to university
    You'll be paying a fair bit for accomodation then!

If you want to be guaranteed en-suite, apply to robinson. Clare has en-suite for 1st years, and some of the other colleges do, but you have to pay through the nose for them.

If you get an en-suite it normally has a shower, because theyre smaller. There's normally baths near where you are in halls, and you are often across the corridor from a shower so it might as well be en-suite. Think about it, how far do you have to walk from your bedroom to a shower/sink/kitchen at home?
    Sharing can be irritating, especially when some people refuse to take the hair out of the plughole and rinse the shower down afterwards but then, thats part of university life and the whole learning experience.

ReputationRep:
    Pembroke was breathtaking. I didn't like Emma much though
    Pembroke is hardly breathtaking... But, we got a tree with red leaves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Pembroke is hardly breathtaking... But, we got a tree with red leaves.
    So does my garden:eek:

ReputationRep:
    not breathtaking? are you blind?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    If you want to be guaranteed en-suite, apply to robinson.
    Well, I'm not going to be get an en-suite room until the third year. This year I got allocated to a room which had to share with two (two!) other people (which is the most you'll have to share with if you're in college) and next year I'm in Romsey, which involves sharing with 4 others.

It's terrible.

Apply here anyway!

Edit: I feel I should clarify that I'm just very unlucky. Only a very small number of first years end up having to share with as many as I do (I think there are only two or three bits like mine). Most people either have en suite or share with only one other person. And only about 30-35 people have Romsey inflicted on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    Well, I'm not going to be get an en-suite room until the third year. This year I got allocated to a room which had to share with two (two!) other people (which is the most you'll have to share with if you're in college) and next year I'm in Romsey, which involves sharing with 4 others.

It's terrible.

Apply here anyway!
    I like your attitude! I thought it was en-suites all round at Robinson. Apologies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    not breathtaking? are you blind?!
    Seconded! It's the most gorgeous place I've ever seen :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Judging by what's written here, I think I'm going to have to resign myself to sharing a bathroom pretty much wherever I end up I don't mind walking to a bathroom, I don't mind sharing a bathroom - the only thing I was a bit squeamish about was sharing a bath with loads of people (I *hate* showers with a passion) but I suppose you have to make some sacrifices at uni, & however small the smallest rooms at Newnham are, I bet they're still a damnsight bigger than the smallest ones I saw at York (I love York it's my favourite, but if they made me live in Vanbrugh I literally couldn't do it :eek: )

ReputationRep:
    Seconded! It's the most gorgeous place I've ever seen :eek:
    Nah, you get used to it. I'm living in college again this year. It's a nice place to live.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by what's written here, I think I'm going to have to resign myself to sharing a bathroom pretty much wherever I end up I don't mind walking to a bathroom, I don't mind sharing a bathroom - the only thing I was a bit squeamish about was sharing a bath with loads of people (I *hate* showers with a passion) but I suppose you have to make some sacrifices at uni, & however small the smallest rooms at Newnham are, I bet they're still a damnsight bigger than the smallest ones I saw at York (I love York it's my favourite, but if they made me live in Vanbrugh I literally couldn't do it :eek: )
    I have bad bad memories about looking at the accommodation at York - fridges leaking all over the floor, mini-ovens completely encrusted, mouldy shower curtains.... but the new and expensive "colleges" are pretty classy, and the self-catered one (Halifax, I think) seemed pleasant enough. It actually put me off York a bit, but I'd still have been happy to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    I have bad bad memories about looking at the accommodation at York - fridges leaking all over the floor, mini-ovens completely encrusted, mouldy shower curtains.... but the new and expensive "colleges" are pretty classy, and the self-catered one (Halifax, I think) seemed pleasant enough. It actually put me off York a bit, but I'd still have been happy to go there.
    Same here! Loved the course and place, but some of the rooms did put me off slightly, though not enough to prevent me applying. The water that gushed out of the taps in Vanbrugh though... *shudders*

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.