Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    Same here! Loved the course and place, but some of the rooms did put me off slightly, though not enough to prevent me applying. The water that gushed out of the taps in Vanbrugh though... *shudders*
    Yep Vanbrugh was the worst accommodation I've ever seen York is my favourite university but if I got a place and they allocated me there I just couldn't go. Ick. James looked nice though.

Omg. My dad went shopping 2 hours ago. My brother got home half an hour ago. During that half hour, the following items have been consumed: all of the strawberries; all of the fruit juice; all of the icecreams; 2 Snack bars; 2 yogurts; 1 orange; my sandwich for tomorrow :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    *feeds Bethany*

Am I the only person here who absolutely HATED York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epitome)
    No - I thought it was a concrete monstrosity and really can't remember any redeeming features about it at all. The students I met were very nice though.

ReputationRep:
    A student is a student is a student...!

The place was covered in goose excrement...and there was no actual English dept...and it was, yes, a concrete monstrosity...

Having said that, SOOOOO many people seem to love it! Maybe we're missing something.
    Come on guys - what are we missing?!

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend's sister is going to york next year. she went to bristol this year, hated it so reapplied so obviously it must have some charm.

ReputationRep:
    A student is a student is a student...!

The place was covered in goose excrement...and there was no actual English dept...and it was, yes, a concrete monstrosity...

Having said that, SOOOOO many people seem to love it! Maybe we're missing something.
    Come on guys - what are we missing?!
    Well I liked the look of the English course, for one thing. The campus isn't the nicest around but I seem to be more open to 60s architecture than most and some of it was of the more superior variety (showing some originality rather than just blocks). Also you only live on campus for one year and then move into private accommodation, and the prospect of living in York itself was rather appealing. Lots of good second-hand bookshops.

ReputationRep:
    *feeds Bethany*

thanks he's such a gannet - he used to be so skinny and now he has rolls of fat and things and it's just not nice :puke: Oh well I suppose I've gone down a size since he started eating like this; maybe I should be grateful :rolleyes:

anyway!

Hm I know what you mean - I didn't come away with the impression that York was a beautiful place to live and work!! But then the only universities I've seen that are really attractive are Cambridge and Durham. It's just that the joint History and English course at York is ideal for me - I wish it were prettier, or that they could steal some of Cambridge/Durham's architecture Mind you, the courses at Cambridge and Durham are pretty fabulous too - I just don't see myself getting a place at either, but I may stand a chance with York. Plus the tutors there seemed to know what they were on about, which was encouraging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    Well I liked the look of the English course, for one thing. The campus isn't the nicest around but I seem to be more open to 60s architecture than most and some of it was of the more superior variety (showing some originality rather than just blocks). Also you only live on campus for one year and then move into private accommodation, and the prospect of living in York itself was rather appealing. Lots of good second-hand bookshops.
    :dito: (apart from the 60s thing - I just don't like the style)

ReputationRep:
    I read in the paper that York had the most campus ducks. Maybe that's it. Cambride was 30th and Oxford 33rd, or something, but I suspect there were problems with working out what was a campus in our case. We have plenty of ducks.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend hated York too. I didn't bother going there. I wouldn't've been able to stand the accents (part of my family's Yorkshireish so I get enough exposure)

ReputationRep:
    don't pick somewhere on architecture, it's nice'n'all but you wont think "damn, college are being a real PITA.. but its ok that building is kind of pretty". how the heck do you expect to get an ensuite room if you're trying to be really cheap ? pembroke is alright for english, the DoS just had a baby but I think she just came back.

ReputationRep:
    I love the connection between the DoS's familial state and the quality of the English dept! Does this mean that the more DoS's who are family-oriented, the worse the dept...?! *curses self for having far too many female tutors*

magicalsausage: you're right. York itself is yummy. Lots of old stuff there too. Mmmm...York. And there are Vikings! Up with the Vikings...if they ran the Uni I'd go there.

ReputationRep:
    erm..........I think you are trying to read something into what I said that I didn't actually say.

It means she wasn't at the college while she was having the baby, so there wasn't a real english DoS. but I *think* she came back, if so it doesn't really matter. obviously it's not a reflection on the quality of the english department, but if she hadn't come back the college would probably get a new DoS, possibly one who'd never done it before, which is less than desirable. I guess that would only mainly affect the people starting next year, though. You don't have to take it as some kind of misogyny against "family-orientated" DoSs.

one of the English-class-running people in college who is heavily disliked by english students i know is apparently also leaving but I don't know when. I think he'll still be here for part of next year.

ReputationRep:
    I love the connection between the DoS's familial state and the quality of the English dept! Does this mean that the more DoS's who are family-oriented, the worse the dept...?! *curses self for having far too many female tutors*
    she didn't say there was a connection. she just mentioned that the DoS had just had a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    don't pick somewhere on architecture, it's nice'n'all but you wont think "damn, college are being a real PITA.. but its ok that building is kind of pretty". how the heck do you expect to get an ensuite room if you're trying to be really cheap ? pembroke is alright for english, the DoS just had a baby but I think she just came back.
    actually York had an ensuite room with a bath for £70ish a week

ReputationRep:
    Very nice, but we were talking about cambridge. And I don't think £70 a week is cheap either. You can rent a whole house for less than that here.

From crana, not camford.

ReputationRep:
    I never said I "expected" to get one anyway, just that I'm going to find it extremely difficult living without my own bath. I'm sure I'd cope! We'd just been talking specifically about York accommodation so I carried on about that. Besides, apparently all the rooms in Newnham are £70ish so I expect if they have ensuites they're that price too.

I think £70 is reasonable for a good room

ReputationRep:
    erm..........I think you are trying to read something into what I said that I didn't actually say.

It means she wasn't at the college while she was having the baby, so there wasn't a real english DoS. but I *think* she came back, if so it doesn't really matter. obviously it's not a reflection on the quality of the english department, but if she hadn't come back the college would probably get a new DoS, possibly one who'd never done it before, which is less than desirable. I guess that would only mainly affect the people starting next year, though. You don't have to take it as some kind of misogyny against "family-orientated" DoSs.
    she didn't say there was a connection. she just mentioned that the DoS had just had a baby.
    Okay - I *was* joking! Perhaps should have made that clearer...
    Long day. Was certainly not intending to be taken seriously! Sorry!

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I never said I "expected" to get one anyway, just that I'm going to find it extremely difficult living without my own bath. I'm sure I'd cope! We'd just been talking specifically about York accommodation so I carried on about that. Besides, apparently all the rooms in Newnham are £70ish so I expect if they have ensuites they're that price too.

Just go and ****ing live in a ****ing dump in middle eastern ****ing asia or something!!!!!

(camfo, blind, and in need of ED medication:yy: )

**** you, **** you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)

they might be slightly more with en-suites, depends on the quality of the room itself. some colleges (dunno about newnham, perhaps someone could confirm this?) send out questionnaires after offers are given out, asking offer-holders what sort of room they would like, what price bracket they can afford etc. depending on availability of rooms etc, you'll get allocated whatever you choose.

are you 100% sure you'll find it difficult without your own bath? you will learn to adjust very quickly- and because you'll be amongst girls, theres a slim-to-none chance that nasty boys will make the bath smell :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    they might be slightly more with en-suites, depends on the quality of the room itself. (dunno about newnham, perhaps someone could confirm this?)
    everyone at newnham pays the same rent

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.