The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
naelse
there are a few ensuite rooms but it's only really possible to get them if you are a third year. None of the rooms are total holes. There are a few that are considered substandard but if you get one of them you get put automatically at the top of the ballot in the next year and to be honest they are still better than what a lot of people get at home and a hell of a lot better than what I've seen at other unis and even other colleges. I think Katie J ended up with a substandard room this year and she managed fine but i guess she'll have more to say on the subject. My other college sister was in a substandard room but she didn't even realise it was substandard until she was told that it was. So rooms really range from average-small to absolutely huge with tons of antique furniture and chaise longues etc. The ballot isn't completely random. It just decides the order in which people pick their rooms. Third years go first, then 2nd years. The only time when you don't get to choose your room is first year when they are randomly allocated but like i mentioned, if you get a small room you get to choose first for 2nd year. The good thing about the Newnham system is that, rich or poor, everyone has exactly the same chances of getting a stupendously nice room at some point.

:eek: :p: My room was not substandard! It was on a corridor of entirely 2nd and 3rd years who were very quiet, and it wasn't even that small (although smaller than all other rooms except for fawcett official substandard rooms) it was more the odd shape of it! It was an old pretty room, had a (fake) antique bureau (sp?), a fire place and a huge window with a garden view. It wasn't a bad room, just harder to convince people to use your room for stuff as it was 'out of the way' and small. I think they arrange 1st rooms alphabetically, starting from Old Hall and moving round to Piele, as virtually no one chooses strachey in the ballot it's mostly empty for freshers.
Reply 81
Katie J
:eek: :p: My room was not substandard! It was on a corridor of entirely 2nd and 3rd years who were very quiet, and it wasn't even that small (although smaller than all other rooms except for fawcett official substandard rooms) it was more the odd shape of it! It was an old pretty room, had a (fake) antique bureau (sp?), a fire place and a huge window with a garden view. It wasn't a bad room, just harder to convince people to use your room for stuff as it was 'out of the way' and small. I think they arrange 1st rooms alphabetically, starting from Old Hall and moving round to Piele, as virtually no one chooses strachey in the ballot it's mostly empty for freshers.

You know, I have no idea why they don't - It has the best showers in the whole of college, it's always warm, right next to the plodge, MASSES of storage, brilliant kitchens with gas hobs (instead of crappy electric), sinks in most rooms, and they're big! The only thing that's bad about it is it's not pretty and old!

Part of me is regretting moving out of there now I've stayed in Old hall! :smile:
Reply 82
Fluffstar
You know, I have no idea why they don't - It has the best showers in the whole of college, it's always warm, right next to the plodge, MASSES of storage, brilliant kitchens with gas hobs (instead of crappy electric), sinks in most rooms, and they're big! The only thing that's bad about it is it's not pretty and old!

Part of me is regretting moving out of there now I've stayed in Old hall! :smile:

Some people keep them though, I can see that being quite cool if you get all your mates on one floor and wing, as near to living in a flat/house as you could get in Newnham. But I like pretty views, old furniture and lots of light so prefer huge piele rooms!

How is Newnham at the moment? Too quiet? Are the dev squad people still around?
Reply 83
Hey there,
I've just finished my second year at Newnham and it's a lovely place to live. As others have said, the room allocation system is really quite fair and at some point you'll have the chance of a fab room. There are lots of halls all with different styles, so most people will find something that suits them. You're also guaranteed a college room for three years which is quite unusual.

Also, not sure if other colleges do this, but if you end up with a room you really like in the early years then you can choose to stay there. I'm keeping my second year room for next year as well cos it really suits me (it's in Sidgwick- quite old and pretty and you get a sink and fridge included!). Lots of first years do end up in Strachey, though I was in Clough (lovely big room but no sink and a bit cold!).

Facilities wise, I think Newnham is pretty good. We have proper kitchens and a good buttery (people slag it off but it's actually quite decent and cheap too), so you'll be ok for food! The bathrooms are generally pretty good, and yes, no smelly boys! Then there's the fantastic new library, and they're renovating the buttery which'd probably be nearly done by the time you get there. The sports fields are on site too, which isn't always the case. Oh, and since the college is one huge long corridor you can get around it without ever having to go outside (this is a very good thing- Cambridge gets really cold!)

As for the look of the place, it's not great from the front but go round the back and there are some of the most beautiful buildings and gardens in Cambridge. And most importantly, we are allowed to sit on the grass (lots of colleges won't let you, not sure about Pembroke I'm afraid). I like being out of the city centre as well- less crazy tourists, and besides it's only a 5 minute walk away. As for the all-girls issue, it doesn't bother me, perhaps partly because I have a boyfriend, but there's plenty of opportunity to meet men, if not in your lectures then through the endless societies.

Right, sorry, I'm getting carried away here (over-enthusiastic newbie :rolleyes: ). Just one more thing though- I might seem biased but I actually did an open application! So yeah, to echo what others have said, you'll probably end up loving your college wherever you choose!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 84
You can use some of the grass in pembroke but not all of it.
Reply 85
the grass by x/y/z is gorgeous though- i had a supervision in x once, at the top, and looked out of the window at the people just lying on the grass....soooo idyllic! it's sooo pwetty! but a little segmented and separated perhaps.
Reply 86
Katie J
Some people keep them though, I can see that being quite cool if you get all your mates on one floor and wing, as near to living in a flat/house as you could get in Newnham. But I like pretty views, old furniture and lots of light so prefer huge piele rooms!

How is Newnham at the moment? Too quiet? Are the dev squad people still around?

Yeh there's a corridor full of people who are staying, houskeeping moved us all to the same place (which makes sense I spose)

College is overrun with americans on a summer school. In fact, the centre of town at night is busier than during term time! I think theres summer schools running at loads of colleges, and if not, they are being used as hotels! There's been a couple of weddings already and some birthday parties/garden parties. I felt so sorry for one couple tho - getting married in sidgwick hall when sidgwick's all covered in scaffolding!! :frown:

College has been soooo gorgeous these last couple of days in the sun - i love sitting in the gardens thinking "this is my back garden..." :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending