Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit late, but when I had my ingrowing toenails (yes I had more than 1! and no doubt the problem will come back soon) they never really got worse or better.

They were only very painful when they got infected, which penicillin could sort out. Apart from that it only hurt while playing football or when I hit it.

If it's anything like mine you'll need a little operation... nothing big, they'll just numbify your toe and cut out the offender.

ReputationRep:
    do a home repair job. i completely cured one i had by getting a pair of tweezers and sliding one prong down the side of the toenail under the skin where the nail was growing. if you can hold your nerve and bear with the discomfort you can pry the whole nail out from underneath through the skin and have it sitting in full view. looks like a nasty little thorn like spike most of the times ive down it (yes i've had several operations and a few home DIY fixes). then you just cut the nail straight so its parallel to the edge of your toe.

its essentially what you'd get done if you went to the doctors....only they waste time with painful injections for anaesthetic and then cut half the nail off and burn the infection out. then stitch it and bandage.

you can cut the anaesthetic and do the pain for 10 minutes and miss out losing half your nail and a load of nail bed in the burning process. the infection remains but with the nail and wound it causes removed it heals in a matter of days.

ReputationRep:
    Who changed the title?! :eek:

*looks @ <3* :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    You definitely want to go to a chiropodist. Home surgery is not a good idea, unless you want to make the situation worse.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it. I had one, even brushing it against something kills

I had an operation under a local to remove the sides of the nail, with a chemical thing put on it to stop regrowth. Looked odd at first, but now it looks fine. They didn't actually need to remove very much at all. Didn't hurt much as it healed, but it took a while.

ReputationRep:
    Oh - BTW its all fixed now... I just bunged a big fat plaster on it for about a week and kept messing with it

ReputationRep:
    i kicked my toe this time last year, it was already red, swollen(i couldnt put weight on) weeping watery stuff and was very painful.

I couldnt get anyone to see me, so i ended up going to the minor injurys unit cos my toe was going purple, they said it was nothing to worry about. I had to rest it as much as possible, and soak my feet in very salty water.

A few days later and it was all better, as soon as the swelling went down the nail didnt seem to be putting preasure in the skin, and i didnt need to have my nail off Plasters were really good to save things catching and making it worse while i was asleep in bed.

ReputationRep:
    My toenail got infected after I was clipping it, but left a little bit in the corner which I stupidly pulled out. It got infected under the nail, and wouldn't go down no matter how much I bathed it in saltwater/hydrogen peroxide solution/put antiseptic cream on it/cauterised in with silver nitrate. So I had to have part of it removed after which it enventually healed and the nail grew back after several months.
    BTW, local anaesthetic stings like hell.

ReputationRep:
    I have been treated for ingrowing toenails and it really isnt a problem.

First see your GP, if its infected, which it sounds like because puss is coming out of it, the GP will prescribe some anti biotics like mine did. The infection should go away and if your careful the swelling should go down.

But.... if the toe nail still causes you problems, ie. its VERY painful then see your GP and he/she will refer you to a Chiropodist (excuse the spelling)

Basically its quite interesting what they do, when you go to get it treated the whole process involves removing the bit of toe nail that is growing into the side of the toe and causing the problems. Once the bit of nail is removed and chemical is added to the side of the toe nail to prevent it from further growing inwards. All they do is inject your big toe (which does NOT hurt at all) with a local anesthetic, and you lie back whilst the Chiropodist does all the work for you! In about 5-10 mins its all done. And you get to go home with a MASSIVE bandage on your toe

Its really nothing to worry about, the procedure is quick, painless and its sorted once and for all, you wont have to worry about the problem coming back. So if you can, ask the GP about actually getting the ingrowing part removed. But as I said, it all depends how bad it actually is. In some cases, if its very minor, the problem can end up solving itself.

Until then, soak your nail in a warm tub of water with a bit of salt added, also wear sandals for a few days. After the problem is sorted, try and figure out what happened, eg. whether you are cutting the nail to close to the big toe, or whether your current shoes are too tight.

I advise against home DIY, it could cause more damage and un necessary pain. The injection does not hurt at all. The dont actually remove half of the nail, both my big toes were treated and you cant actually notice that they were ingrowing. The Chiropodist merely removes the ingrowing part, so you dont even notice that a toe was previously ingrowing. They dont have to stitch the area, so dont worry about that. The only problem with home DIY, is that it can lead to further infection, and it doesnt fully prevent the nail from re-offending. I really do recommend that you get it done properly, it really isnt a problem.

Phew... thats my advice from my experience.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.