Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American student applying to Oxford. I know that British schools normally make conditional offers to people but I was wondering if anyone knows what type of conditions they put on offers to American students since we don't have the same exam system. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a North American at Oxford or are there any North Americans at Oxford who remember what sort of conditional offers they got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Houyhnhnm)
    I'm an American student applying to Oxford. I know that British schools normally make conditional offers to people but I was wondering if anyone knows what type of conditions they put on offers to American students since we don't have the same exam system. Thanks a lot.
    They'll give you conditional offers for the SATs and APs. Eg. My friend applied for Law @ Leicester and he was told to get 600+ in SAT IIs and 600 in both sections of SAT I.

ReputationRep:

Though there are no formal requirements, successful candidates would generally have an excellent High School record, supplemented by:

Scores of at least 700 in Verbal and 700 in Math in SAT I (or 1400+ combined) (Or ACT with a score of at least 32 out of 36)

We would also expect:

SAT II in a good spread of three or four subjects at 700 or better;
    Or, preferably, grades 4 or 5 in two or more Advanced Placement tests in appropriate subjects
    Alternatively, a mixture of SAT II and Advanced Placement scores; both should be at the levels indicated above.

Another page on the site talks about conditional offers, though does not specify which qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I was afraid that they might be looking for something else.

I already have 700+ in verbal and math SAT I, and three 700+ SAT II, and the APs. If I where accepted would I get an unconditional offer since I've already taken the tests or might it still be conditional on unstandard school grades?

I'm applying for PPE and I have perfect grades and test scores in Philosophy and Politics, but I'm afraid that I might finish the year with weak grades in math though I have a sufficent math SAT score. Could I lose a place for that?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I was afraid that they might be looking for something else.

I already have 700+ in verbal and math SAT I, and three 700+ SAT II, and the APs. If I where accepted would I get an unconditional offer since I've already taken the tests or might it still be conditional on unstandard school grades?

I'm applying for PPE and I have perfect grades and test scores in Philosophy and Politics, but I'm afraid that I might finish the year with weak grades in math though I have a sufficent math SAT score. Could I lose a place for that?
    I'm thinking that if you've already got the SAT I/II qualifications that they desire in the Admissions info then they'll give you an unconditional offer.

It depends how 'weak' weak is regarding Maths. The 'E' in PPE is very Maths based here, but to be honest I don't think every Oxford tutor knows the meaning of SAT scores backwards.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.