Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the freedom of speech in UK being impeded, because of all these laws that attempt to defend muslims, against criscisms of their religion and way of life?

I was also wondering y muslim pple are so religious, even the younger people?

ReputationRep:
    Two thread in 20 minutes from someone with less than a hundred total posts?

But anyway.

In my opinion, while freedom of speech is important, where it is a choice between civil/human rights and freedom of speech, civil/human rights are more important.

ReputationRep:
    It should work both ways though, for example if its illegal to moan about islam then it should also be illegal to preach hate like Abu Hamza did/does. Incitement to kill should always be a crime regardless of race.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims, like Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, Jews, Buddhists and the United Church of Atheists are religious for very obvious reasons.

There is no law that defends Muslims against criticisms of their religion and way of life.

I suggest you stop reading the Daily Mail. There is evidently more than enough freedom of speech: you are here talking complete *******s and no one is stopping you.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't actually a real problem with infringements on freedom of speech, it's just played up by the nationalists. I'm sure that the vast majority of Muslims are open to intellectual criticisms of their religion, however this does not include harassment/claims that all muslims are un-British and should go back home/claims that muslims support terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
    Muslims, like Hindus, Sikhs, Christians, Jews, Buddhists and the United Church of Atheists are religious for very obvious reasons.

There is no law that defends Muslims against criticisms of their religion and way of life.

I suggest you stop reading the Daily Mail. There is evidently more than enough freedom of speech: you are here talking complete *******s and no one is stopping you.
    I have to say i agree with the spirit of this post, if not the wording.

Freedom of speech is important, but there is a difference between freedom of speech and unfounded 'incitements to hatred' (the rather ill-defined government buzz-phrase) being shouted out by every fascist going.

Yet more generalisations in original thread post, 'muslims' to use the group collective (do we group anglo-saxon britons by the term christians?) are no more religious than any other group of people in briton. Its just people like our friend perry don't find people going to a christian church strange because thats part of their background (even if u dont go other than for the occasional wedding or wotever), whereas muslims using mosques and wearing clothing that marks them out as different from him (/her) and thus is intimidating and scary.

Its the basic herd mentality: they are different from me: i dont like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomorrow2Day)

Yea your right, I probably should stop reading this paper, how did you know.

ReputationRep:
    Yea your right, I probably should stop reading this paper, how did you know.
    Was that sarcasm? I think it was but I can't tell for certain >_<.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perry)
    I was also wondering y muslim pple are so religious, even the younger people?
    What's the point of religion if you're not going to take it seriously and be religous?

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech and freedom of association, are both long dead in Britain owing to PC bu****it about 'race' relations. Recent minor tweaks to buy some goodwill from Muslims from a government which believes it necessary to change Islam by bombing Muslims are negligible compared to the destruction of freedoms already suffered.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech and freedom of association, are both long dead in Britain owing to PC bu****it about 'race' relations. Recent minor tweaks to buy some goodwill from Muslims from a government which believes it necessary to change Islam by bombing Muslims are negligible compared to the destruction of freedoms already suffered.
    Where have the supposed infringements on free speech affected anyone but the BNP?

ReputationRep:
    PERRY - Note: Most the people who disagree with you and take some sort of 'insult' here are...yep you've guessed it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    PERRY - Note: Most the people who disagree with you and take some sort of 'insult' here are...yep you've guessed it
    You mean Islamic?
    I'm not, not even close; I highly doubt more than half the people disagreeing with him are anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    You mean Islamic?
    I'm not, not even close; I highly doubt more than half the people disagreeing with him are anyway.
    Don't bother with Nick Griffin here, a.k.a LC01 a.k.a 'put random username with under 10 posts'

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with Nick Griffin here, a.k.a LC01 a.k.a 'put random username with under 10 posts'
    Heh, remember 'Lara' something, she lasted about three hours. Good times, good times.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of Speech is more the ability to moan about the administration (government), the state, way things are in general. NOT a chance for people to spread religious hatred, biggotry, or views which are likely to offend people. Its a common mis-conception.
    In conclusion - Freedom of Speech is the right to moan if one wants, it is not a right to openly offend or insult someone.

ReputationRep:
    You mean Islamic?
    Yes of course I mean Islamic, what else did you think I meant :stupid:

Actually I think you'll find I said 'most' people who disagree are, not all. Get your facts right before you spout utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, remember 'Lara' something, she lasted about three hours. Good times, good times.
    Proud of that one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Yes of course I mean Islamic, what else did you think I meant :stupid:

Actually I think you'll find I said 'most' people who disagree are, not all. Get your facts right before you spout utter nonsense.
    I can see only one person "spouting utter nonsense" and it ain't Speleo. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Actually I have to state I think its disgusting that a simple question as a post cannot be made without the need for certain members to challenge and analyse everything the person says. Free speech...I don't think so. You should be ashamed. :mad:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.