Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    People of Britain, clear the roads, for I am very nearly able to start learning to drive! Yay! I'm one of the youngest in my year, and since my 17th birthday is fast approaching, I've got my provisional licence and booked my first driving lesson.

BUT I was wondering what is the average rate for driving lessons (per hour, not per lesson if longer/shorter for some reason): my future driving instructor has put up his rates to £20 from August!

So, if you could answer the poll (which is the first one I've done on TSR so sorry if its dogdy!) if you are currently taking driving lessons, about to take lessons over the summer and have pre-booked or if you have had lessons within the past year, I'd be eternally grateful!

(Apologies if a similar thread has been posted before/ this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to delete or move this!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    People of Britain, clear the roads, for I am very nearly able to start learning to drive! Yay! I'm one of the youngest in my year, and since my 17th birthday is fast approaching, I've got my provisional licence and booked my first driving lesson.

BUT I was wondering what is the average rate for driving lessons (per hour, not per lesson if longer/shorter for some reason): my future driving instructor has put up his rates to £20 from August!

So, if you could answer the poll (which is the first one I've done on TSR so sorry if its dogdy!) if you are currently taking driving lessons, about to take lessons over the summer and have pre-booked or if you have had lessons within the past year, I'd be eternally grateful!

(Apologies if a similar thread has been posted before/ this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to delete or move this!)
    My lessons were £18 an hour but cost less if you paid for a block.

£120 for 10 lessons

ReputationRep:
    my dad who is a driving instructor charges £18

ReputationRep:
    when i was doing mine it was £16/hour i think.

ReputationRep:
    Mine cost £18.50 an hour and that was at a student discount.

ReputationRep:
    Mine started at £20.50, the first four lessons were £16, and they were 45 minutes each, but a normal lesson is an hour. then they went up to £21.25 after a few months.

ReputationRep:
    £15 an hour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    £120 for 10 lessons

wow thats cheap! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Mine were 22.50 an hour, think BSM rates here are similar to this.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how expensive some driving lessons are!!! Mine were £15. Anyone who learnt around 2-3 years ago, how much were yours? Have they gone up? £24 is ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    £20 an hour - so I ended up paying £100 overall on them.

(Original post by Amzybaby24)
    wow thats cheap! :eek:
    a drivin instructor i had before him was 130 for 10 lessons. and he didnt help you to pass your test much

ReputationRep:
    £18/hr

If I change to BSM it will be £22/hr.

ReputationRep:
    I was with BSM which charged around £20 p/h, but was a little cheaper if you booked in blocks, the whole thing is a bit of a rip off! I think it depends on the area you live in as it may a slightly expensive in the South, but try to go with a local instructor rather than someone like BSM.

ReputationRep:
    £15 and hour when I did mine a few years ago, friend of mine was paying £25 recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    I was with BSM which charged around £20 p/h, but was a little cheaper if you booked in blocks, the whole thing is a bit of a rip off! I think it depends on the area you live in as it may a slightly expensive in the South, but try to go with a local instructor rather than someone like BSM.
    Ah, I'm going with a local instructor for £20 p/h! That seems to be the going rate where I live.

I agree with the rip-off thing, I wanted to do the poll to see the variety of prices around... but considering all driving instructors are supposedly teaching the same skill, the discrepancy is just ridiculous!

Anyway, keep posting/voting everyone, and if you've had particularly expensive or cheap prices, if you could let us know who with - be it national company like BSM, or a local instructor - then that would be fantastic

ReputationRep:
    I started with the AA and had the bulk 12 hour program, can't remember how much it was but worked out quite cheap per hour. After that though my instructor went private and I decided to stay with him as I didn't want the hassle of learning with someone new. Charged me £19 per hour without any bulk discount or any lowered prices for existing customers. £19 round here is a bit of a rip off as I know a lot of people who paid £15-£18 but hey, I passed first time (as did a huge percentage of his students, something like 8 on the trot) so I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    mine was 20, recently gone up to 22

ReputationRep:
    £20 p/h

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.