Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    which one do you reccomend...?

some say stick with AA, as they teach you quickly and efficiently, and others say go for teh cheap ones. A friend of mine says that it works about the same in cost because the cheaper ones make you have more lessons, apparently...what do you guys think...i'm gonig to start my lessons soon and need some advice with whom to go for. (instructor that is)

pk

ReputationRep:
    I went with BSM, I found them efficient, friendly and good instructors. I had two over my time at BSM. I passed in less then 7 months.

ReputationRep:
    Same here - I learnt with BSM and passed 5 months after starting lessons. They are very good, most of my friends use/d them. Their offices were easily contactable and my driving instructor was very friendly, they handled all the administration well and overall provided an excellent service.

ReputationRep:
    I used a local guy and he was really good, I passed first time. Local ones are good in that their business comes about mainly through word of mouth, so they'll be determined to impress you so that you recommend them to other people.

ReputationRep:
    wow, my sister hated BSM. When she started learning, they made her take her first couple of lessons in a simulator, didn't seem like they wanted her to go anywhere near a car.

I went with Acclaim, pretty pricey, but the teacher seemed competent enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixSTL)
    wow, my sister hated BSM. When she started learning, they made her take her first couple of lessons in a simulator, didn't seem like they wanted her to go anywhere near a car
    That's weird :confused: All my lessons have been in a car. I have been given the option to go in the simulator but that was optional and whenever I wanted to.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Everyone that I know that went with BSM had something to complain about! But everyone who went with a local instructor had a better experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saree)
    That's weird :confused: All my lessons have been in a car. I have been given the option to go in the simulator but that was optional and whenever I wanted to.
    well, to be fair, this was about...4 years ago, so things might have changed now :p:

ReputationRep:
    Intuition are good

ReputationRep:
    I loved BSM, they seemed really organised and my instructor was really nice and experienced. I decided to have some time in the simulator (was terrified of actually driving a real car...), but they didn't insist on it or anything. And they were really good about rearranging lessons and booked my test for me and everything. Kind of expensive, particularly compared to local instructors, but I think they were worth it. Especially as my parents gave me my lessons for my 17th birthday.

ReputationRep:
    BSM is renowned for being hit-and-miss, my brother had a good instructor and i know of people who had really bad experiences with them. Talk to as many people who can drive and see if they recommend their instructors, most of the more experienced ones go independant at some point due to terrible salary from BSM.

ReputationRep:
    I had a private instructor, the lessons were £15 for an hour and £17 for post-test extra lessons. I passed in 17 lessons first time, and he could fit me in for three lessons a week. I also recommend you learn in a larger car than a micra or a ka, because when you come to drive something along the lines of a grand voyager (which is 2m wide), you may encounter problems. I learnt in a corsa, which was still rather small, but was large enough to prepare me for bigger cars.

Note: lessons may have gone up because this was going on three years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris.)
    BSM is renowned for being hit-and-miss, my brother had a good instructor and i know of people who had really bad experiences with them. Talk to as many people who can drive and see if they recommend their instructors, most of the more experienced ones go independant at some point due to terrible salary from BSM.
    I've heard bad things about BSM also. Perhaps it depends on the area? Speak to your friends who drive and find out who took the least amount of time and who they recommend and don't recommend. Also find out who passed first time and who didn't (this could be down to the instructor, not just the driver, although I wouldn't blame a teacher for a pupil failing an exam!).

ReputationRep:
    I have a random "local" guy but want to change to BSM after just one lesson because the one I have now doesn't seem to want to take me for two hour lessons twice a week, which is what I want. He's a nice guy though and £4 cheaper than BSM. Probably £4 cheaper because he's a PDI not an ADI though i.e. not fully qualified.

ReputationRep:
    go with the aa, they were really good and i passed in 4 months. although they are expensive they didnt mess me around and every lesson i had with them was really good. apart from my 1st lesson, i spent the whole of my other lessons driving. my instructor didnt do any driving so he wasnt wasting my money which i thought was good

ReputationRep:
    I learnt with a local guy, £20 a lesson, he was really friendly and patient. Also he didnt charge for cancelling lessons whereas my other ADI did if you didnt give at least 48 hrz notice excluding weekendz and bank holidays. I passed first time too (on Wed!!) so I would recommend a local one.

(Original post by Phil23)
    which one do you reccomend...?

some say stick with AA, as they teach you quickly and efficiently, and others say go for teh cheap ones. A friend of mine says that it works about the same in cost because the cheaper ones make you have more lessons, apparently...what do you guys think...i'm gonig to start my lessons soon and need some advice with whom to go for. (instructor that is)

pk

go with a private instructor from recommendations. there usually better than BSM, since they have to be good to get the customers. BSM just get customers for bein with BSM

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.