Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you knew you were going to want to work with the Chinese in the future through Business...

Would you educate yourself through Business at university?

or go to ShangHai.. learn the language and build a network of contacts as early as possible? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i would go to university in UK, prefably SOAS and take chinese too. English university is very highly regarded over there. That being said dont apply to SOAS next year cause i dont need anyone else competing with me

ReputationRep:
    they dont do business at soas

ReputationRep:
    economics then

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go to University! You can't just rely on hoping to make a few pals who'll boost you up the career ladder, I mean, I know that there is a bit of emphasis on that kind of promotion in China, but seriously dude, get a proper education first. It'll mean your head of the rest when it comes to promotions and job interviews and stuff, and you won't have to brown nose and rely on people to get a job. Plus, the uni experience will be great too, and I don't consider it wise to not go, personally. Not if you want to go far in life. Also, the fact that so many get the oppurtunity to go these days will put you at even more of a disadvantage when people see that you, yourself, haven't been.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and you can learn the language and build contact after your degree, and then get your job! Maybe you could take your degree then go over there, take a gap year learning the language and building contacts, and then getting into full-time employment. Seems like a good plan.

ReputationRep:
    it does sound like the sensible option.... but I want to have my own business.... so searching for jobs doesnt really apply

ReputationRep:
    it does sound like the sensible option.... but I want to have my own business.... so searching for jobs doesnt really apply
    Ok, get ya. But even so, you're going to have to get a loan to set up your own business, no? And rent offices or premises, or whatever, and I think you're more likely to gain those things if you have a degree under your belt, and a good education. It gives you an edge of intelligence, qualification, and seriousness. I mean what if you turn up in China and try and gain support for your business, loans etc, and no one will touch you because you have no degree, no big qualification, and you may look like some random with no idea what he's doing...

How old are you? And what kind of business would you be going into? Also, when it came to you yourself hiring staff, you couldn't really expect the best from them, top degrees etc, if you yourself hadn't gained one (might be considered a tad hypocritical). And people might not want to work for you anyway, if you didn't seem credible...

So yeah, I say uni. Then China; build up contacts, mingle. Then go ahead with your business. But bear in mind it'll probably be a struggle!

Good luck whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    Get a degree in the UK first - highly regarded internationally...

ReputationRep:
    I came from Shanghai. You can work there even you don't speak Chinese at all. There are a lot European there and they can't speak chinese neither. So do worry. The things you need to do now is going to university, then you can go to China.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.