Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I simply can't believe how stupid, arrogant and evil some people can be. Some of you may have noticed a previous post of mine stating about the fire at the longbridges boat house (housing St Catz, Mansfield, Hertford and several others), and now a group has claimed responsibility.

In protest against the construction of the south parks animal testing laboratory, a group of animal rights activists have attacked the boathouse of these colleges:

http://www.directaction.info/news_july06_05.htm

(Above is a link to the group's website)

I don't get why they think this will help their cause! These colleges have nothing to do with animal testing, and the boat clubs even less so! Plus, mansfield's insurance policy states that we are not entitled to reparation if the boats or boathouse is attacked by terrorists or politically motivated groups. So, we have nothing. Zip. It'll be quite a while before we're back on the water.

ReputationRep:
    wow. and what kind of insurance policy is that. I'm sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    They should be shot.

If I was still at Hertford I'd be seriously pissed right now.

ReputationRep:
    They're evidently fairly stupid - they seem to think a light year is a measure of time.

ReputationRep:
    well, it's only rowing. i can think of worse targets.

ReputationRep:
    True - at least no one was hurt or abused this time, as animal rights activists are known of doing.
    But you gotta feel for Mansfield, which is not a wealthy college. And because it's such a new establishment, I don't think it can even rely on any rich old boys to donate what they need. They should definitely set up some sort of collection, I'd be happy to throw in a tenner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipGarsed)
    They're evidently fairly stupid - they seem to think a light year is a measure of time.
    Agreed. They should lock these arsonists up with their own creations.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I already hated them but now I hate them even more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    TBH I already hated them but now I hate them even more!
    Do they even eat meat? Or are they vegans? Argh. Why do we spawn such extremists all over the place? This is quite dumb. Burning human property for the sake animals. Heck, they don't even have as much rights as us.

ReputationRep:
    what is wrong witht hese people?!

June 25, 2005
    In Istanbul's Blacksea coast, a fishing net was destroyed and two crabs were liberated from fishing net."

Well done - i'm so glad that you are here to make such a large impact you crazy animal rights activist. (Sarcasm)

ReputationRep:
    What scum exists in our world! GRRRRR! I hate all these idiots with political ideologies. Well not all ideologies but all the idiotic ones.

ReputationRep:
    I hope for the sake of animal rights activists that I never meet one. I refuse to be held liable for the consequences if I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    I hope for the sake of animal rights activists that I never meet one. I refuse to be held liable for the consequences if I do.
    Thursday afternoons.
    "peaceful protest" outside a certain building...

*does not condone violence* ahem.. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    :mad:

I hate all this screwy logic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    They ought to burned at the stake!!! *starts witchhunt!* :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Do all you people think that animals do not have the right to live a peaceful life. Do you agree that they should be tested on for make up and cosmetics? Do you think their lives are not as important as humans - bearing in mind that a life is a life?

OK I admit the action taken was a little extreme but nobody was hurt and it could have been much worse. It's just a sad world when they need to take this kind of action to get thick skinned and nasty people to actually take notice.

ReputationRep:
    These tests are nothing to do with cosmetics. They are all medical tests which cannot be carried out any other way and in the end will save human lives.

Do you think human life is less important than animals'?

These people are not protestors. They are thugs with a chip on their shoulder looking for something to attack. In complete contrast to Oxford scientists who dedicate their lives to teaching future generations and doing research which hopefully will benefit the whole of humanity and are regularly intimidated by these morons. This is demonstrated by this mindless attack, which achieves nothing but alienate SPEAK even more in the Oxford community and nationwide (if that's still possible, given their track record of thuggery).

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the action is a bit extreme and probably damages the cause more than it augments sympathy with it, but I do think it's going a bit far to say "I hate animal rights activists" because someone burned down your boathouse - it's hardly a hospital or anything is it? Also, it's very important you don't trip over yourself in your haste to condemn: this wasn't Greenpeace, WWF or the RSPB, this was an environmental fringe group. People have every right to protest against the use of animals in experiments, it's only the ones who do so violently who should merit your hatred.

I can't say I'm distraught that a few colleges will have to do without their boathouses for a while, but at the same time it does seem a little bit of an illogical target for animal rights protesters.

ReputationRep:
    WFH? - they claim they targeted it to warn the university and anything associated with it that nothing of theirs is safe. You can extrapolate to people's rooms, house etc. It may just be the ALF, but there's enough of them in Oxford for it to be a problem. They're not really trying to persuade anyone to join their cause, they're saying that if the university doesn't come out of any animal research unilaterally, these attacks will carry on. It's terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatFreshHell?)
    Obviously the action is a bit extreme and probably damages the cause more than it augments sympathy with it, but I do think it's going a bit far to say "I hate animal rights activists" because someone burned down your boathouse - it's hardly a hospital or anything is it? Also, it's very important you don't trip over yourself in your haste to condemn: this wasn't Greenpeace, WWF or the RSPB, this was an environmental fringe group. People have every right to protest against the use of animals in experiments, it's only the ones who do so violently who should merit your hatred.
    But the term "animal rights activists" definitely does not include Greenpeace, WWF or the RSPB -- they are all primarily conservation groups, and I'm pretty sure that none of them even propose a complete end to animal testing. I think most people on this thread would know this.

I would be very angry with someone who destroyed a valuable piece of my (albeit collective) property, and even more so when it didn't have anything to do with what they were campaigning about. The term "activists" was used in the title, which to my mind means more than peaceful campaigners.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.