Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to my mate on msn today and we started talking about our muslim friend and people from the middle east and he said that if women have sex before marriage in some countrys they get hit with a whip 70 times on their stomach :confused: Dunno if its true but isnt the stomach a dangerous place to hit expecially with women! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    I was talking to my mate on msn today and we started talking about our muslim friend and people from the middle east and he said that if women have sex before marriage in some countrys they get hit with a whip 70 times on their stomach :confused: Dunno if its true but isnt the stomach a dangerous place to hit expecially with women! :confused:
    How would they know? Women are hardly going to admit it.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes Muslim women are killed in what are known as 'honour killings' if they disrespect their family by sleeping with a man who they shouldn't be sleeping with, trying to marry a man outside the religion or who the father doesn't approve of and so on. In Eastern countries this is legal, but here there have been lots of debates over what to do when parents are convicted of killing their daughters due to such circumstances. Therefore in answer to your questions it is possible, because if some strict Muslims are willing to kill their own daughters because they feel disrespected they probably wouldn't think twice about whipping them.

I just want to say that I don't mean any offence to any Muslims on this site, the above is just information I'm passing on from things I've read and been told, so please correct me if I'm wrong in what I've said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_Lottie_xx)
    Sometimes Muslim women are killed in what are known as 'honour killings' if they disrespect their family by sleeping with a man who they shouldn't be sleeping with, trying to marry a man outside the religion or who the father doesn't approve of and so on. In Eastern countries this is legal, but here there have been lots of debates over what to do when parents are convicted of killing their daughters due to such circumstances. Therefore in answer to your questions it is possible, because if some strict Muslims are willing to kill their own daughters because they feel disrespected they probably wouldn't think twice about whipping them.

I just want to say that I don't mean any offence to any Muslims on this site, the above is just information I'm passing on from things I've read and been told, so please correct me if I'm wrong in what I've said.
    I think the killing thing was abolished ages ago but I just thought that whipping women on the stomach was the worst place and really dangerous.
    Any muslims wanna help out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    I think the killing thing was abolished ages ago but I just thought that whipping women on the stomach was the worst place and really dangerous.
    Any muslims wanna help out?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4486287.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4345459.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4153095.stm

It's still happening unfortunately..

ReputationRep:
    Thats not only for women.. for men as well.. the punishment for men is even more than the women.. and yea its on their back not stomach.. 1400 Years ago there were lots of sexual diseases, so Quran declared casual sex illegal, to stop the disease ! and yeah women were not able to feed their children back then, so having children outside marriage was illegal too..

ReputationRep:
    Well, I hope you guys can understand that it only happened in Extreme Islamic country like in Middle East. Malaysia is a very open-minded Islamic country. We are a multicultural country and everyone has the right to choose their own religion except Malay. They abide by Islam since they were born. Just want to clarify here not every Islamic Country is as cruel as mentioned above...^o^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenia99093)
    Well, I hope you guys can understand that it only happened in Extreme Islamic country like in Middle East. Malaysia is a very open-minded Islamic country. We are a multicultural country and everyone has the right to choose their own religion except Malay. They abide by Islam since they were born. Just want to clarify here not every Islamic Country is as cruel as mentioned above...^o^
    So the Malay people effectively have religious beliefs forced on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    Thats not only for women.. for men as well.. the punishment for men is even more than the women.. and yea its on their back not stomach.. 1400 Years ago there were lots of sexual diseases, so Quran declared casual sex illegal, to stop the disease ! and yeah women were not able to feed their children back then, so having children outside marriage was illegal too..
    Yea I suppose it was a good idea to make it illegal then but its a bit nasty today since their conditions have improved a bit. Men probably do get it worse like you said though the women get hit on the stomach Ive heard unlike men. I dunno why its different

ReputationRep:
    The answer for Arab women has been known for decades. link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    Yea I suppose it was a good idea to make it illegal then but its a bit nasty today since their conditions have improved a bit. Men probably do get it worse like you said though the women get hit on the stomach Ive heard unlike men. I dunno why its different
    Well Christianity was even more cruel than Islam.. But it took 100s of years to change it.. Islam is a very young religion.. it needs time to change..

and yeah I am sure that women's punishment is less than men, because they r physically weaker than men..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che guevara)
    Well Christianity was even more cruel than Islam.. But it took 100s of years to change it.. Islam is a very young religion.. it needs time to change..

and yeah I am sure that women's punishment is less than men, because they r physically weaker than men..
    Riddy why are girls/women hit on their stomach yet men on back? Is it something to do with symbolising pregnancy or something. Surely they wear loadsa layers of clothes or else it could kill them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    So the Malay people effectively have religious beliefs forced on them?
    Force? Em....It is hard to say so. Basically, they have no right to choose their own religion. However, they seem like have no complaint on this religious tradition. For example in Malaysia, if a Chinese wants to marry a Malay, the Chinese has to give up his status as a buddhist or christian and become a Muslim so that he/she can marry with that Muslim. Does it consider as force? May be Malaysia is not a extreme Islamic country, that is why many people are willing to do so if they want to marry a Malay.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you change religion for someone who you marry? Surely you should both accept each other as you are.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. You have to ask Allah then. I guess it is stated in Al-Quran something like you are only allowed to marry Muslim. Not sure about this. But this is only happened to those who want to marry Malays. If a Buddhist Chinese wants to marry a Hindunist Indian, they can stay with whatever they believe before.

ReputationRep:
    Well Christianity was even more cruel than Islam..
    Why do you try and deflect attention from this barbaric practice by bring in christianity? Does the fact that bad things happened in christian countries makes these crimes less worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenia99093)
    thankyou for that post, people all too often generalize about the muslims countries and issues such as women, religion, democracy and human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Why do you try and deflect attention from this barbaric practice by bring in christianity? Does the fact that bad things happened in christian countries makes these crimes less worse?
    good point. i think sometimes this sort of argument can be used as a 'cleansing operation'. but at the same time we must remember if we are to criticise one religion, we must criticise the others if it has the same traits or problems.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thing to do. Why would people want to be this religion? And before you ask I'm NOT trying to cause an arguement, just wondering what justification there can be for that sort of punishment/behaviour. Absolutely none.

ReputationRep:
    Good work PMing a moderator claiming that I was abusing you via PM by.. sending two messages asking you to answer a question you simply couldn't.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.