Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    :rofl: trust you to think of it as a sexual thing, i knew someone would point that out.

of course :p: xoxo

ReputationRep:
    come on everyone lets just moan together :p: hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    What the hell, no it wont, coursework for english is only 25%
    Is it different for each exam board or has it changed this year? When I did my GCSEs last year, it was 40% for language (20% speaking and listening, 20% written) and 30% for literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Is it different for each exam board or has it changed this year? When I did my GCSEs last year, it was 40% for language (20% speaking and listening, 20% written) and 30% for literature.
    Even so, you can still easily get an A* with a B average for coursework. And the thread starter seems like has an average of A so it wouldnt matter either way.

ReputationRep:
    Even so, you can still easily get an A* with a B average for coursework. And the thread starter seems like has an average of A so it wouldnt matter either way.
    I wouldn't say you could easily get an A* with an A/B average for coursework; my coursework average was probably an A and I got AA overall, so you'd have to do extremely well in the exams to get an A* with B grade coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Well for English at the moment,

I have got a good A* for one, a good A for one, and a very high B for one.

I am not allowed to redo Macbeth, but it is still 8 out of 10 percent for the literature; is that good. I worked so hard on that, so there is little I can do. Macbeth was a funny one actually. For my draft, I threw all my English training down the draining, and rambled on for 10 pages, without topic sentences, and paragraphs; consequently, I got a REALLY bad mark for my draft. However, for the real thing, I really tried to have a good stucure, and improved SO much from my draft. My teacher said if I had analysed the language in one scene a little further, I would have got an A - oh well. At least this coursework has taught me how to sructure essays, and not to ramble on for pages and pages.

I am redooing my story, so hopefully I will manage and A* on the new one .

I still have 2 speaking and listening pieces left, and two writing pieces left. If I get really high marks in those, which I hope I will, because I think I have improved significantly in English, could I get an A in my real GCSE?

Thanks,

Amrou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)

I am not allowed to redo Macbeth, but it is still 8 out of 10 percent for the literature; is that good. I worked so hard on that, so there is little I can do. Macbeth was a funny one actually. For my draft, I threw all my English training down the draining, and rambled on for 10 pages, without topic sentences, and paragraphs; consequently, I got a REALLY bad mark for my draft. However, for the real thing, I really tried to have a good stucure, and improved SO much from my draft. My teacher said if I had analysed the language in one scene a little further, I would have got an A - oh well. At least this coursework has taught me how to sructure essays, and not to ramble on for pages and pages.

I still have 2 speaking and listening pieces left, and two writing pieces left. If I get really high marks in those, which I hope I will, because I think I have improved significantly in English, could I get an A in my real GCSE?

Thanks,

Amrou
    By the sounds of it, your average coursework grade should be an A*, so as long as you do well on the exams, it should definitely be possible to get an A. I got As (4 marks off A*s :mad: ) for both language and literature despite getting a couple of Bs and Cs on my coursework, so it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    Similarly, I know someone who got an A* in their Biology coursework and got a D overall, it really does depend mainly on the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Similarly, I know someone who got an A* in their Biology coursework and got a D overall, it really does depend mainly on the exam
    :eek: wth? did they cheat on their coursework or something..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    :eek: wth? did they cheat on their coursework or something..?
    No they just didn't revise

ReputationRep:
    No they just didn't revise
    then they deserved to get that grade. find it hard to believe that they could obtain A* for their coursework, yet not gain anything higher than a D running purely on natural aptitude.

ReputationRep:
    then they deserved to get that grade. find it hard to believe that they could obtain A* for their coursework, yet not gain anything higher than a D running purely on natural aptitude.
    well obviously they got an E/F in the actual exam.. I think the persons done the same this year, as for coursework our teacher kind of pestered everyone to death until everyone had As/A*s.. we'll see what htey get this year in Chem/Physics (two probably harder subjects)

ReputationRep:
    well obviously they got an E/F in the actual exam.. I think the persons done the same this year, as for coursework our teacher kind of pestered everyone to death until everyone had As/A*s.. we'll see what htey get this year in Chem/Physics (two probably harder subjects)
    chemistry is going to be easy at a-level. physics is supposed to be mind-numbingly tedious though (with all the formulae you need to know etc..)

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is going to be easy at a-level. physics is supposed to be mind-numbingly tedious though (with all the formulae you need to know etc..)
    You personally may find chemistry easy because you have a great enthusiasm for sciences and are good at it, whereas others will struggled. And yes physics will be rather tedius, biology will be the most interestnig in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    this is GCSE

ReputationRep:
    You personally may find chemistry easy because you have a great enthusiasm for sciences and are good at it, whereas others will struggled. And yes physics will be rather tedius, biology will be the most interestnig in my opinion.
    biology will rock. whoever has chosen biology, you are a god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)

Thanks,

Amrou

lol, serves you right for doing 10 pages. I rarely did more than a page and a half for my English coursework, and got an A* on average. I never prepared for the oral pieces either. Usually just did a few bullet points while everyone else was saying theirs and got my mark from blagging. Worked for me!

ReputationRep:
    biology will rock. whoever has chosen biology, you are a god.
    Welll....thanks man *blushes*

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind if all coursework is scrapped. For my Statistics i am predicted A* and i got something like a low B in my coursework. This means i have to get like high 80s - 90 just to get A*. It's not fair that people have to do coursework and bring the overall mark down if they are good at exams. There should be a choice whether or not you want to do coursework or just a 100% exam.

ReputationRep:
    I got a B for Stats coursework and I did very well in the exam! I was really annoyed! It's 25% for me! (Edexcel)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.