Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    If u wanna play the dumb ass then thats fine by me, but there was something about Sadam having the ability to strike within 45mins or something of the sort.
    This isnt General Chat, make efforts to be accurate and clear when you make statements of fact.

Since you know the dossier so well, why don't you clarify for me the above.
    A claim was made in regard to the ability of Iraqi military to launch chemical, biological battefield munitions within 45 minutes of an order to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    This isnt General Chat, make efforts to be accurate and clear when you make statements of fact.
    Thank you for the advice, i'l take that into account next time.

A claim was made in regard to the ability of Iraqi military to launch chemical, biological battefield munitions within 45 minutes of an order to do so.
    This claim was found to be not true, as up until this day no WMD have been found in Iraq. I was just wandering where they got this intelligence from as they can no longer rely on that source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    This claim was found to be not true, as up until this day no WMD have been found in Iraq. I was just wandering where they got this intelligence from as they can no longer rely on that source.
    WMD material has been found. Intelligence is not always accurate and we shouldnt expect it to be.

ReputationRep:
    WMD material has been found.
    Do u wanna back that up with something. I geuinely didn't realise that WMD had been found.

Intelligence is not always accurate and we shouldnt expect it to be.
    Why not, if its a matter of war it better be damn accurate, peoples lives are at stake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    Do u wanna back that up with something. I geuinely didn't realise that WMD had been found.
    http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive...iani052804.htm

I think this article also answers some obvious questions.

Why not, if its a matter of war it better be damn accurate, peoples lives are at stake.
    Im afraid thats almost an impossibility, which is why we gave Saddam numerous opportunities to demonstrate he had nothing to hide. HE broke all of them.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive...iani052804.htm

I think this article also answers some obvious questions.

Im afraid thats almost an impossibility, which is why we gave Saddam numerous opportunities to demonstrate he had nothing to hide. HE broke all of them.
    Right but the 45mins claim is still not proven is it?

Why isn't the world taking more measures to get Mugabe out of power, the only difference between him and Saddam was the apparent threat Saddam was to the rest of the world. Why don't they make a believeble claim to get him out of power.

But **** that, we got alot of **** on our hands, tbh I don't know how we are going to find peace.

ReputationRep:
    I heard briefly on the news earlier that the government has leaked plans to withdraw 5,000 British servicemen and women from Iraq by April. This could be the most dangerous leak of the New Labour government. If the terrorists read this as a victory, presuming one of their grievances is the presence of British troops in Iraq, the result may be further attacks on our country. A reckless move by the government in my opinion, and definitely an example of how not to handle terrorists.

[edit: I should point out that I didn't hear the full report]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    I heard briefly on the news earlier that the government has leaked plans to withdraw 5,000 British servicemen and women from Iraq by April. This could be the most dangerous leak of the New Labour government. If the terrorists read this as a victory, presuming one of their grievances is the presence of British troops in Iraq, the result may be further attacks on our country. A reckless move by the government in my opinion, and definitely an example of how not to handle terrorists.

[edit: I should point out that I didn't hear the full report]
    I hope these rumors are false or I will lose whatever respect I ever had for Blair.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorists are thugs who have no disregard for any country. Enough said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    Right but the 45mins claim is still not proven is it?
    No, but thats irrelevant to the fact that the claim you mentioned never existed.

Why isn't the world taking more measures to get Mugabe out of power, the only difference between him and Saddam was the apparent threat Saddam was to the rest of the world.
    Thats quite an important difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    The IRA were Catholics weren't they?
    Not all of them were. There have always been some Protestant Irish nationalists for example,as well as atheists and maybe some other branches of Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    Leaked memo on plans to withdraw troops: source

Daily Mail story and memo here

Do others think this leak is an attempt to appease the terrorists after Thursdays events?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    Leaked memo on plans to withdraw troops: source

Daily Mail story and memo here

Do others think this leak is an attempt to appease the terrorists after Thursdays events?
    i dont see why we should try to appease the terrorists. they need to **** off out of our country and preferably blow themselves up far away from real human beings :vmad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    i dont see why we should try to appease the terrorists. they need to **** off out of our country and preferably blow themselves up far away from real human beings :vmad:
    Whether or not the possible withdrawal is linked to Thursday, I'd still be happy to see the soldiers coming home, the war was wrong, attempts to help rebuild Iraq right, but the Iraqis want us out. Their country. Well... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think Britain should take up the American way: for every act of terrorism, we take over two of your countries. That way, only, what, four or five acts can ever be committed :-).

ReputationRep:
    for every act of terrorism, we take over two of your countries.
    What if the terrorists happen to be from Britain? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    What if the terrorists happen to be from Britain? :confused:
    What a concept - terrorists that aren't from the Middle East are coined as angry hooligans.

All you can do about angry hooligans is call in the police force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    It won't, but some shameless people enjoy using the deaths of others to pursue their ideological goals.
    Ideological? Since when is fighting poverty an ideology, Bismarck? Fighting poverty is realpolitik and as far as I know your alter ego used to fight poverty because it was useful in convincing the workers in joining the conservatives.

Anyway, I don´t know how to handle terrorists, however I do know that you do not handle them along the line of 'an eye for an eye'. Apart from leaving you blind, you will be trapped in a viscious circle. Unfortunately, this has happened to Israel with the decades of violence that has been going on there with this approach on both sides.

So, my point is, you cannot fight terrorists with weapons because for every terrorists you kill, there will be another one. You can prevent them bombing you with that, however that does not solve the overall problem. As long as there is still a perceived (and alas real) fundamental injustice between the rich and the poor countries, there will be terrorists. So, in my opinion, terrorists can only be beaten if you know why there are people becoming terrorists and what their reasons are (and don´t tell me because they´re stupid. Lots of terrorists are very well-educated).

Well, I think it´s injustice, what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    Ideological? Since when is fighting poverty an ideology, Bismarck? Fighting poverty is realpolitik and as far as I know your alter ego used to fight poverty because it was useful in convincing the workers in joining the conservatives.
    You know full well that fighting poverty is a tiny aspect of these people's ideology. Most of them loath capitalism and want to equalize the incomes of all nations by taking from the rich countries and giving to the poor (same as their ideology on the domestic front), all while completely disregarding the basic laws of economics and laying the roots for tyranny at home and abroad.

Anyway, I don´t know how to handle terrorists, however I do know that you do not handle them along the line of 'an eye for an eye'. Apart from leaving you blind, you will be trapped in a viscious circle. Unfortunately, this has happened to Israel with the decades of violence that has been going on there with this approach on both sides.
    Ever wonder how the Chechen, Bandera (Ukrainian), and Basmachi (Uzbek) rebellions were quelled by Stalin? He went a step further than "an eye for an eye" and the country did not go blind.

So, my point is, you cannot fight terrorists with weapons because for every terrorists you kill, there will be another one.
    That depends on how far you're willing to go to neutralize the threat.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo, in the first paragraph you´re arguing against tyranny (who are the tyranns? poor people because they want a slight raise in their $4 minimum wages?) while in the second, you advocate Stalin and his Gulags, secret police and whoever know what else. Wow, well done.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.