Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    Sooo, in the first paragraph you´re arguing against tyranny (who are the tyranns? poor people because they want a slight raise in their $4 minimum wages?) while in the second, you advocate Stalin and his Gulags, secret police and whoever know what else. Wow, well done.
    I'm not advocating Stalin's policies; I'm showing your assertion that hunting down terrorists creates more terrorists to be false.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I'm not advocating Stalin's policies; I'm showing your assertion that hunting down terrorists creates more terrorists to be false.
    Stalin's method did work, even if it was ruthless.

(Original post by zaf1986)
    What if the terrorists happen to be from Britain? :confused:
    There's a good chance that the London bombers *were* from Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    There's a good chance that the London bombers *were* from Britain.
    Yes, but they were Muslim, and if you'd ask them, their allegiance would be to some Middle Eastern country and Allah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    No, but thats irrelevant to the fact that the claim you mentioned never existed.
    It is relevant because as you said, i wasn't being accurate and clear therefore made you confused, but then i corrected that claim so that you understood what I meant in the first place.

(Original post by Vienna)
    Thats quite an important difference.
    I didn't say it wasn't, but why can't something be done about Mugabe. The guys sat there laughing his arse off at the rest of the world, because he can do what he wants. Even if we have no lawful duty to do anything, surely there is a moral duty as human beings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Not all of them were. There have always been some Protestant Irish nationalists for example,as well as atheists and maybe some other branches of Christianity.
    Thanks for answering my question Chrism.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone yelling?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I don't see how ignoring the problem is going to make things any better. I always ask people opposed to fighting terrorism this question:

Does fighting crime lead to more crime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    i dont see why we should try to appease the terrorists. they need to **** off out of our country and preferably blow themselves up far away from real human beings :vmad:
    I'm not too sure coz i don't think even the police know yet but I don't think the terrorists involved in thursdays events actually blew themselves up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I agree. I don't see how ignoring the problem is going to make things any better. I always ask people opposed to fighting terrorism this question:

Does fighting crime lead to more crime?
    Yes, but can one oppose the war without opposing fighting terrorism?

I think that we should have gone to war, but not with Iraq. I think that if we did nothing to Iraq, today Iraq would be one of the least of our concerns. What about Iran? What about Syria? What about North Korea?

We're very limited to what we can do because we are so involved with Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    Why is everyone yelling?!?!
    I think thats just the voices in your head lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    I think thats just the voices in your head lol
    I figured as much - gotta lay off the LSD.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims don't have an allegiance to a Middle Eastern country; heck, even the Muslims living in the Middle East don't have much allegiance to their home country. The primary loyalty of anyone who professes to be a Muslim is to Islam. In most cases, their secondary loyalty is to their tribe or extended family (granted this loyalty is weaker for Muslims living in Western countries). Only then, do they profess loyalty to their state. In fact, many Muslims states are not nations. Pakistan is the best example. In consists of a countless amount of tribes and ethnic groups whose only connection to each other is Islam. That is why even secular Muslim states like Egypt and Iraq (under Hussein) had to proclaim the importance of Islam in their societies.

Before somebody makes a connection to Christianity, it is true that Christians used to have the same type of loyalties. God came before king or country. But that started to decline with the Reformation and was all but eliminated after the Peace of Westphalia.
    Bismarck - I love talking to you, but could you do me a favor?

Say something totally wrong sometimes so we can disagree..

Otherwise, it's no fun! :P

ReputationRep:
    Bismarck - I love talking to you, but could you do me a favor?

Say something totally wrong sometimes so we can disagree..

Otherwise, it's no fun! :P
    Meh, this is on the periphery of my area of expertise, so I better know what I'm talking about.

Southerners aren't religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    I'm not too sure coz i don't think even the police know yet but I don't think the terrorists involved in thursdays events actually blew themselves up.
    I thought the one on the bus did, but if it's like the Madrid bombs then they used timers. At least with suicide bombers that's another sub-human cretin destroyed.

Hmm, our men go to Iraq, remove the dictator that's basically taken away any form of freedom, and now they want to get rid of us?? We should have just left them with their dictatorship.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but they were Muslim, and if you'd ask them, their allegiance would be to some Middle Eastern country and Allah.
    Have they actually found out who were responsible for the bombings on thursday?

ReputationRep:
    Muslims don't have an allegiance to a Middle Eastern country; heck, even the Muslims living in the Middle East don't have much allegiance to their home country. The primary loyalty of anyone who professes to be a Muslim is to Islam. In most cases, their secondary loyalty is to their tribe or extended family (granted this loyalty is weaker for Muslims living in Western countries). Only then, do they profess loyalty to their state. In fact, many Muslims states are not nations. Pakistan is the best example. In consists of a countless amount of tribes and ethnic groups whose only connection to each other is Islam. That is why even secular Muslim states like Egypt and Iraq (under Hussein) had to proclaim the importance of Islam in their societies.

Before somebody makes a connection to Christianity, it is true that Christians used to have the same type of loyalties. God came before king or country. But that started to decline with the Reformation and was all but eliminated after the Peace of Westphalia.
    Is that a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the one on the bus did, but if it's like the Madrid bombs then they used timers. At least with suicide bombers that's another sub-human cretin destroyed.
    Like i said i'm not sure, but yeah may they burn in hell fire!!

Hmm, our men go to Iraq, remove the dictator that's basically taken away any form of freedom, and now they want to get rid of us?? We should have just left them with their dictatorship.
    Believe this whole situation is alot more complex than that.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is going to sound harsh and unfair, but i think stability wise Iraq was better off under Saddam. At the moment, theres total chaos. Tbh i have no idea how this chaos is going to come to an end. Its like a deadlock at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, this is on the periphery of my area of expertise, so I better know what I'm talking about.

Southerners aren't religious.
    Not true! I know first hand that they are very religious!!

(thank you)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.