Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    Is that a bad thing?
    It is if you don't want a potential fifth column in your country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    It is if you don't want a potential fifth column in your country.
    Your wit is just killing me :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    Your wit is just killing me :rofl:
    Well, let's see, you have a group of people whose primary loyalty is to a religion which at times is directly opposed to their state. If there is ever a war between the two, which side would they choose?

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's see, you have a group of people whose primary loyalty is to a religion which at times is directly opposed to their state. If there is ever a war between the two, which side would they choose?
    Why would they go into war?

ReputationRep:
    Give me a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they wage a war against the west?

ReputationRep:
    If you mean people like Osama bin Laden and his reasons for waging a war against the west, then i don't think they would.

ReputationRep:
    I'l debate some other time. I've got to go.

Take care for now my friend.

ReputationRep:
    I think the social expectation to condemn Islamic terrorism is much greater now, so things have changed. I wonder why Ken Livingstone never described that example of the worst kind of supporter of terrorism - that he invited over here a few months ago - as "cowardly". Even Hamas made the compromise:
    The Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, responsible for many suicide attacks on Israelis, condemned the London bombings.

"Targeting civilians in their transport means and lives is denounced and rejected," Moussa Abu Marzouk, deputy chief of the group's political bureau told Reuters in Damascus by telephone.
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L0791441.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    I think the social expectation to condemn Islamic terrorism is much greater now, so things have changed. I wonder why Ken Livingstone never described that example of the worst kind of supporter of terrorism - that he invited over here a few months ago - as "cowardly". Even Hamas made the compromise:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L0791441.htm
    Hamas denouncing terrorism, thats my laugh for the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    I think Britain should take up the American way: for every act of terrorism, we take over two of your countries. That way, only, what, four or five acts can ever be committed :-).
    How would you describe what's happening in Iraq now, if not as acts of terrorism? The USA had a long tradition of behaving like that for what it considered economic terrorism in South America. It's one of the reasons it is so hated there now.

ReputationRep:

Ever wonder how the Chechen, Bandera (Ukrainian), and Basmachi (Uzbek) rebellions were quelled by Stalin? He went a step further than "an eye for an eye" and the country did not go blind.
    That depends on how far you're willing to go to neutralize the threat.
    If you are willing to accept stalinist methods to deal with "the threat" you accept a cure which is much worse than the illness. That's leaving aside the fact that it was disastrous in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I agree. I don't see how ignoring the problem is going to make things any better. I always ask people opposed to fighting terrorism this question:

Does fighting crime lead to more crime?
    If you use criminal methods, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Hmm, our men go to Iraq, remove the dictator that's basically taken away any form of freedom, and now they want to get rid of us?? We should have just left them with their dictatorship.
    ...a dictator which this country had assisted and aided when it was convenient to do so, killed perhaps fifteen to twenty thousand Iraqis getting rid of him, done even more damage to Iraq's infrastucture and then divvied up the task and profit of restoring Iraq without consulting the Iraqis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viper)
    Have they actually found out who were responsible for the bombings on thursday?
    No.
    However the method used and the "targets" aimed at bear all the signs of a jihadist group of one kind or other. While it's reasonable to allow for other possibilities that's the way to look most closely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    If you use criminal methods, yes.
    I don't see how that leads to more fighting?

If there's a gang of teenagers that keep on graffiti-ing my store, and I take them somewhere quiet and kill them, no more graffiti. Of course, that might not be the right way to deal with it (and it is an extreme example).

ReputationRep:
    ..then you and your friends acquire a taste for killing anyone who looks like they might be thinking of graffitiing.
    Who would you feel safer with: a bunch of petty yobs or a police fiorce which kills anyone they don't like the look of?

..then you and your friends acquire a taste for killing anyone who looks like they might be thinking of graffitiing.
    Who would you feel safer with: a bunch of petty yobs or a police fiorce which kills anyone they don't like the look of?
    The former, Weejimmie!

ReputationRep:
    If you are willing to accept stalinist methods to deal with "the threat" you accept a cure which is much worse than the illness. That's leaving aside the fact that it was disastrous in the long term.
    It was disastrous because the policies weren't maintained.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    However the method used and the "targets" aimed at bear all the signs of a jihadist group of one kind or other. While it's reasonable to allow for other possibilities that's the way to look most closely.
    I know but we need to let the police do their work and find out for sure. Just saying because some people have the default mind set that it was Muslims and then go on to say that 'those of us descent Muslims should do all we can to discourage any other Muslims who are likely to be heading in the way of terrorism', this was said in another thread, giving me the impression that we all (Muslims that is) know terrorists.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.