The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dan
World Cup Italia 90', when I was 5 years of age.

'90 when I was 9. None of the others since have been quite as good IMO
Economist
1994, was 7 at the time. Remember the final espcially the shoot-out. Baggio was injured and I knew that when he steped up he was going to miss. For some reason I wanted Italy and I can remember being thoroughly pissed off.
Took the words right outta my mouth!
Economist
1994, was 7 at the time. Remember the final espcially the shoot-out. Baggio was injured and I knew that when he steped up he was going to miss. For some reason I wanted Italy and I can remember being thoroughly pissed off.

94 was good to. Despite Baggio being injured he played the most exquisite footy, and aved them with I think two?(correct me if wrong) last minute equalisers and a winner

What a beautiful player
world cup 98.
I even bought the game boy game, lol.
Reply 2304

peter shilton was the best if i remember correctly
Reply 2305
oh yea and the cameroon GK making some stupid mistke
Reply 2306
ssmoose
Must have been France '98, because the first football I ever watched was Euro '96

Yes, that's exactly the same with me.

Euro '96 was the greatest performance I've ever seen England put on... let us hope this tournament will surpass it.
Reply 2307
ba_ba1
9 EPL players :rolleyes:

well its better to put in players who you actually know are good rather than just going on some old reputation eg people putting in nesta and maldini in their sides (although it was clear from watching the Arsenal v Juventus tie that they were past it) plus the Premier League has got many of the best players in the world!
Reply 2308
Robinson
Neville - Terry - Ferdinand - Cole
Carrick
Beckham - Gerrard - Lampard - Cole
Owen(if fit)or Bent or Johnson

England have some of the best midfielders in the world and Gerrard, Lampard and Cole have been scoring freely in the PL so they should be free to attack and make up for the loss of Rooney. We need a mobile stiker to start up front - don't play Crouch there by himself.
The current best XI have to all be a) fit and b) work as a team, so for those reasons, I pick:
Mortimer
robinson

neville ferdinand terry A Cole

gerrard carrick Lamps J cole

owen crouch

Subs: james, P Neville, King/Campbell , SWP, Defoe, beckham,
not to sure bout crouch but that is how it should b terry as captain ofcourse!

your views and your world cup XI? btw is it only 5 subs :confused:
Dude, did you mean best XI or worst? :smile:

Robinson

G. Neville Carragher Ferdinand A. Cole

Beckham Carrick Lampard J. Cole

Gerrard (c)

Owen

Subs:

James
King
SWP
Lennon
Crouch
^ Owen and Cole won't be match-fit. :stupido2:
Is that certain or a possibility.. ?
Think about it. Owen can't play on his own up front - certainly not when under-fit. SOLUTION: CROUCH AS TARGET MAN TO FEED ONCOMING MIDFIELDERS.

Cole isn't going to handle the game's best right wingers AND bomb forward as he does when fit, for 90 mins. SOLUTION: SVEN'S ARGENTINA/URUGUAY CHOICE - CARRAGHER.
rooney should be fit, im hoping he will if not the alternate strike force has to be defoe and bent because Owen wont be fit (according to some) crouch is a bit crap
Not a chance that Rooney will take part in any of the games. Just revealed he has a double break.
mancsmithsfan
rooney should be fit, im hoping he will if not the alternate strike force has to be defoe and bent because Owen wont be fit (according to some) crouch is a bit crap

Owen is more likely to be match fit than Rooney. If crouch was a couple of foot shorter, then yes, he would be crap, but his height gives him alot of advantages, i mean if you're going to stick a ball into the area, most players have to jump just to get on terms with crouch, or failing that, use a step ladder or something lol.
sticking your leg out and hoping isnt going to work wonders against germany and the like! Personally I dont rate Owen nowadays, I mean what has he done to convince me> hes injury prone and hes wound up 'playing' for Newcastle. Thats not high standards. Id get a game before him.... lol.

Rooney I am praying for you....
Reply 2319
johnw1
well its better to put in players who you actually know are good rather than just going on some old reputation eg people putting in nesta and maldini in their sides (although it was clear from watching the Arsenal v Juventus tie that they were past it) plus the Premier League has got many of the best players in the world!

since when did nesta and maldini play for juventus? Anyway, judging players on one game is not very wise either. the EPL has got some great players, but so has serie A and la liga.

Latest