Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Yep, Sol Campbell was a physically imposing, confident, commanding centre back who was named as one of the best defenders of the 2002 World Cup. Look at him now...
    yer hes a fat, lazy, slow donkey like figure who should be left to drown his sorrows at the local in islington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattMatt)
    Italia 90: Disagree
    World Cup held in US: Agree
    Creation of the Premier League: Disagree strongly
    Sky TV: Disagree
    Euro 96: What the ****??!!
    All seater stadiums ie Hillsborough and the Bradford fire: Agree
    David Beckham: Disagree
    "Fans" like Zoe Ball: Agree
    More disposable income and evermore greedy clubs Slightly disagree
    When winning trophies became more important than matchday expeience: Agree
    "Branding": Disagree
    Clubs seeing fans as "customers": Agree, though will never change

Anyone think of any more?

Edit: Warning was not for this post be posting in wrong forum.
    Just my opinion of course.

Ones that baffle me are Euro 96 and creation of Premier League.

And I also don't think football is "going wrong" as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mortimer)
    LOL was intended to be best, but some ppl have weird choices :p: how can u play carra instead of ferdinand. he woz the best defender by far at the last world cup. carra is a bit playa 4 england, bit like P neville play newhere in the bak 4 if ask him 2. for lpool he is immense but england? i dont think so! i'd choose king ahead of him!
    Tell me a game where Carragher has not played 10 out of 10 for England recently, and I will give you £10.

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/03052006/14...eartbreak.html

Funny story, wonder if anybody else is game!

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    I'n sure the net got broken in the opening World Cup 98 match (Brazil v Scotland).

ReputationRep:
    World Cup in France '98. Watched the whole thing. I didn't watch the 1994 cup, because well, I was about 6 and couldn't be bothered with footy.

ReputationRep:
    Walshie, you say one thing in one thread, and another thing in another. Firstly, you argue that ferguson shouldnt be allowed to decide whether rooney should be allowed to play, fair enough, your view and your answering the thread title, well done. But then you say 'If you had any sense', well go on explain yourself. The amount of money spent on rooney, which is what that useless comment was in reference to was used in my argument yes, but i never based this all on money, just the simple fact that rooney plays for manchester united, and they paid money for him (if it was £2 million, my stance would be the same).. Then, brilliantly, you decide to conclude that rooney is 'never going to recover', 'never'. Funny that, you start your input on this thread saying it should be englands choice, obviously meaning you want rooney to go, which fan wouldnt, now you have gone back on that and said he will never recover ultimately meaning he will never play football again.

What you saying is fickle and inconsistent, and if you wish rooney 'never' to recover, then i hope your not an england fan. You support arsenal, i hate arsenal, yet on the henry thread i said he was the best striker in the world, i would never want him never to play again.

Grow up, or dont post, simple.

ReputationRep:
    You must obviously be a Premier**** supporter.

As a fan of a team in a lower league, I storngly agree with the fact that football is now a business. Fans are treated as souless customers and footballers are paid far too much.
    £45 for a ticket is absolutely ridiculous! £20 should be enough for 2 parents and 2 kids. Why do pretty much most premiership clubs fail to sell out every week? Because the clubs charge stupid, unreasonable amounts to pay their greedy footballers.

Give me my beloved Halifax Town anyday. A team where the players are passionate. The fans are loyal and true to their heart.

Sky TV is a BIG factor for the demise of football I think. How many 'Chelsea' and even more so 'Liverpool fans' do you find who just watch on the TV, then come out with some *******s like "ooo, the tickets are all sold out". Absolute crap.
    The Premier League encouraged this business sense and has ruined football lower down the pyramid. Clubs are going bust left, right and centre thanks to the Premiership paying their players massive wages etc (which they can afford). However, this has inflated prices further down the ladder to a scale which cannot be sustained bny lower league clubs efficiently.
    Contrary to popular belief, the Football Conference is not fully part time. I think there are about 4 part time teams left.

I am just very impassionate about the Premiership, a league which is designed as a showcase. It is not about the fans, but more about entertaining randomers who don't actually care, but can watch Chelsea in the background while they have their pub lunch.

Thanks to Sky, I now have to travel down to the Thames Estuary midweek on a Wednesday, after they flippantly changed it from Thursday, which has been prepared and planned for ages.
    The supporters at the game don't count. Its the money that does, and that is what annoys me.

Put simply, greed and money has wrecked football.

ReputationRep:
    Celta Vigo v Barca

HT - Draw
    FT - Barca
    £5 (5/1)

HT - Barca
    FT - Barca
    £5 (4/1)

Samuel Eto'o scored in the 55th minute And the match has just finished So I've just made £20. Not bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Well Brazil purely for the fact that they play immense football

or

Ivory Coast as and outsider
    Nah not the Ivory Coast, Drogba plays for them. He lets the whole country down!

ReputationRep:
    On a more light hearted footballing note, did anyone see that England vs Germany charity match on channel 5??what a tackle by Boris Johnson lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    World Cup 94. I can remember the opening game, it was Germany against Bolivia. I also remember a game with Colombia where the defender broke the net and it took arounf 20 min to fix it, haha.
    Woo, i remember sitting in my darkened front room on my own watching them carry out the new goal thinking "This is great". It was like two in the morning! Apart from Diana Ross missing the penalty, that's what i remember most clearly from 94. I didn't like football until about the year after though, so Euro 96 was the first tournament i properly watched. And what a tournament!

ReputationRep:
    fine play carra but sven will neva drop ferdinand in the WC. sven is too scared 2 make big n bold decisions. 4 eg he wud neva play the xmas tree that sum1 propsed which i thout woz v gd!

ReputationRep:
    Saw the first half an hour, what was the final score?

(Original post by Mortimer)
    fine play carra but sven will neva drop ferdinand in the WC. sven is too scared 2 make big n bold decisions. 4 eg he wud neva play the xmas tree that sum1 propsed which i thout woz v gd!
    Apart from it had about the width of a virgin brides, ermmm...

ReputationRep:
    I watched it a bit because apprentice was on as well. I watched it to the point where it was 3:2 to Germany (after a brilliant comeback by england from2:0 down). Was that the score in the end?

ReputationRep:
    Ended up 4-2 to Germany

ReputationRep:
    Goal : Robinson
    Def: neville, ferdinand, terry, A Cole
    Holding midfield : carrick
    cen. mid : Gerrard, Lampard
    wide right : becks
    wide left : Cole
    Lone striker: Owen

ReputationRep:
    Lol, who on Earth was playing??

ReputationRep:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.