Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    When Jimmy Hill lifted the maximum wage.

ReputationRep:
    Players got greedy, which made clubs get greedy for money and for trophies... But it's just human nature at the end of the day. Things just can't stay selfless where people are involved.

ReputationRep:
    What?! No one has said Chelsea? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson lol!...it wasn't exactly a star studded line up

ReputationRep:
    Being a fan of the NFL (national football league), American football to all non-followers, I am aware of a thing called a salary cap. And I know it is unrealistic, and it will almost certainly never happen in our football, but I want to know your thoughts on whether it would damage, or improve the game.

Basically teams would be restricted to a certain cap of salary that they could pay their team. So they would only be able to have so many high wage superstar players in their side before they had to make cutbacks and move players along. It would keep things interesting at the very least, and it would make the whole scenario more balanced. Maybe each league (for example) would have to abide to what is currently the average salary for that league. I won't go and find out this information, but you know what I mean... So like all teams have to have a salary total equal to or beneath that of Charlton in the premier league.

I always thought it would be a good idea. Like I always thought challenges in American football would be a good thing to bring to the English game. So once a game, a manager could challenge a decision made by the reffing staff, the ref watches a replay - if the decision is overturned, no penalties against the manager. If the ref things the challenge was unjustified that team is charged a substitution or something. I think that would prevent a lot of blunders, to be honest, and its a bit more likely than seeing a salary cap get introduced.

What do you all think??

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the salary cap in the NFL more than the average EPL player anyway?

ReputationRep:
    What was his tackle like?

ReputationRep:
    FAR more. They get paid disgusting amounts of money, but that isn't what I wanted a debate on really..

ReputationRep:
    Don't mind slary caps introduced in football so long as it is worldwide.

ReputationRep:
    I can give you the exact date that it all went wrong; 2nd July 2003.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    I can give you the exact date that it all went wrong; 2nd July 2003.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    :rolleyes:
    You might roll your eyes, but it's true. Things will never be the same again.

Didier Drogba's birth was quite a blow for the game, too.

ReputationRep:
    When Kenny Dalglish moved upstairs to become director of football, and when we never strengthened after winning the PL.
    Then Shearer left the following season, and it all fell apart from there really

oh, and bosman who introduced the possibility of holding clubs to ransom. And the greedy ******* players too, for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    18 March 2003 16:03

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree. What about challenging systems for managers, think it could ever work? Some people say it would steal away something special, the random factor of the game I guess. Ie, maradona would never have been allowed his hand of God!

ReputationRep:
    Bin a bad two days for me betting wise. Chelsea last night, and boro slipped up today
    Im relying on my arsenal/fulham accum to bring me back up.

ReputationRep:
    So they would only be able to have so many high wage superstar players in their side before they had to make cutbacks and move players along.
    Which is already the case at 99% of football clubs you mean but to varying (between clubs) degrees?

I dont see why clubs that are run properly (Liverpool as an example since its my team) should be punished and have to have the same budget as say Charlton because of other club's mistakes. If Curbishley had managed to get Charlton into europe and gradually built the club up (which is the best way to success) then they too would attract better players and become bigger. It's a slow process and examples like Chelsea are one offs.

ReputationRep:
    football is in a state because fans get treated like cash cows and put up with it. Fans passion and loyalty has been abused by the money men and who can blame them considering the amount of money that has been made. It's the peanut brain fans who do nothing about it (all it would take is for a boycott of matches for a while) and the game would become more ethical

ReputationRep:
    "What's Boris Johnson's tackle like"

Now there's a question you don't hear every day

ReputationRep:
    ^ When I started typing into this thread, it was confirmed he had his metatersal broken (which to me is an 8-week lay off at least), but worth risking Rooney to the world cup, regardless.

A double fracture in the metatersal, and there is not a hells chance he'll be ready now. There is now no point taking him. I'll be amazed if he recovers from a double fracture - too long a healing process.

And Mancred - stop being so blooming argumentative and hostile :mad:
    If you re-read your posts, you were infact rather rude. Try altering your terminology slightly, and you may produce a valid opinion. That way, you may end up getting 'green gems' rather than 'red ones'. :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.