Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure the 451 is the answer, yet its the only thing anyone seems to suggest. Owen IMO is not suited to play as a lone striker. Also, changing the foramtion so close to World Cup time is very risky. The players arent used to the system and it will take them time to adapt. By then they could be out already. The world cup is not a time to experiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Hope to God that Heskey doesn't come our way. I'd rather have me playing centre forward :p:

It looks like D'alessandro might be signing for us so long as Harry has the money we've been promised.
    D'allesandro is class act - been really impressed with him. Did you only get him on loan then? if you buy him, how much would he cost?

ReputationRep:
    David Dunn -> Bburn Rovers

ReputationRep:
    why are defenders/goalkeepers never mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    Strikers and midfielders are paid to make things happen, defenders and keepers get paid to stop them happening. Watching a piece of attacking play is usually a lot more interesting and thus it is seen to be more important. Furthermore stopping someone from scoring is harder than a actually scoring, even though the top defenders work just as hard on their game. You can only win by scoring goals, good defending just makes it easier to do so. If you look at transfer fees, which aren't the ultimate barometer, attackers are more valuable.

Having said all that, Sammer won the European player of the year award in 1996, and Olly Kahn has been second in the Fifa awards before. I personally enjoy watching defending, mostly skillful as opposed to kicking the striker off the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    D'allesandro is class act - been really impressed with him. Did you only get him on loan then? if you buy him, how much would he cost?
    Yep, top player. Has always shown flashes of brilliance for Argentina and Wolfsburg (incidentally was managed by Wolfgang Wolf). I think Wolfsburg paid 5-6m so I expect they'd sell him for 4-5m even though it's a slight loss. Spurs watched him for a while, wouldn't mind seeing him at WHL!

ReputationRep:
    Yep he was on loan but there's a clause in it giving us first right of refusal for the price... somewhere in the region of €7m so between £4-5m I'd say?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure the 451 is the answer, yet its the only thing anyone seems to suggest. Owen IMO is not suited to play as a lone striker. Also, changing the foramtion so close to World Cup time is very risky. The players arent used to the system and it will take them time to adapt. By then they could be out already. The world cup is not a time to experiment.
    Agreed. Crouch on his own in an England 451 wouldn't be too hot either. With Beckham and Cole wide, i think we need pace up front. Owen has that but he can't keep the ball with his back to goal. We need someone capable of holding it up and being able to spin and run beyond the defence if we play a 451- lol an Adriano would be nice. Seriously though, a modified 442 with Crouch and Owen looks likely. If that happens a forward thinking Gerrard is needed, and then that poses the question of the holding midfielder/lampard.

ReputationRep:
    Because football is primarily about scoring goals rather than preventing them. It's just the nature of the sport.

ReputationRep:
    Well is football is primarily about winning, which is done by scoring more goals than the opposition. Therefore defenders could be regarded equally as important as attackers. Sure you can score lots of goals, but if the other team score more...

ReputationRep:
    with rooney likely 2 be in the team in the knockout stages or out completely -we have 2 change and therefore experiment!!!!!!!

we have no choice about worrying with adaption. injuries happen but they always seem 2 be just before the tournament. but we must get on w/ it..

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question. My view is, all the best teams and succesful teams have had great attacking (midfielder and strikers) players to get them success who without, they wouldn't have succeded. But on rare occasions when that hasn't been the case, i.e teams who relied on defensive players to win the WC/leagues etc.... those players were praised and considered the best in the world. A good example is Franz Beckenbauer for West Germany winning both the world cup and the european championship in the 70's.

It's like in pro evolution soccer, my strikers all cost like 1700 points and my defenders are only about 900.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banksy)
    LOL. I think up to £30 a ticket is absolutely fine. Football is an amazing spectacle. I remember watching the FA Cup final a long time ago, Machester United vs Liverpool. The atmosephere was amazing.

For World Cup tickets I think anything up to £200 a ticket is fair - especially for a game like England vs Germany or something.

Rubbish. Football used to be a game where a family could head out and enjoy it. It used to be a good day for the masses.

How can a family afford £35 x 2 + £20 x 2 (for 2 adults and 2 kids).
    Its no longer about passion and support. Look at Chelsea or any one of a number of Premiership clubs.
    When they score, rather than getting fans go wild with excitement (as I was at Halifax 3 - 0 up today), but instead clap like dead dodos.

I experienced today what I feel many people in the premiership miss out. 3-0 up in a playoff semi final, only to have 2 goals conceded in the seconds half. It was full of raw emotions and gritty determination to win. Scoring was relief, not a chance to politely clap like one would at a horse riding show.

Football is fast losing its passion! The ridiculous prices and lack of loyaly are only helping this. Football should be enjoyed at the stadium, not on the TV. How many people will watch the Middlesborough final this week claiming to be Middlesborough fans, but not have even looked into going to the final?

ReputationRep:
    So, now we know who it's between, who do you think will go up? I'm not too sure but I really hope Swansea do it!! Come on you Swans!!

ReputationRep:
    Well is football is primarily about winning, which is done by scoring more goals than the opposition. Therefore defenders could be regarded equally as important as attackers. Sure you can score lots of goals, but if the other team score more...
    You start with a 0-0. To win you need to score. The nature of attacking and putting the ball in the net is more aesthetically pleasing than defending.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a general feeling that if you're any good at football you'd play in an attacking position. To quote Ron Atkinson from a game a few years ago "I don't know why the goalkeeper's tried to do that. If he was any good he'd be an out(field) player". Then defenders are considered slightly more skillful, then defensive mids, then attacking, then strikers.
    Harsh

ReputationRep:
    There's a reason we say 'scoring more' goals than the opposition instead of 'conceding less'. It may sound extreme but you don't win trophies 0-0. If you concede a goal you can score twice to win a game...If you keep a clean sheet there's no reason why should win it unless you have a good attack. Which is why i think good attackers are seen as being more valuable.

Like I said stopping goals is easier than scoring them. It takes more skill to score and create goals.

Go Wolves, go!

... Oh right yeah, couldn't even make playoffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    There's a reason we say 'scoring more' goals than the opposition instead of 'conceding less'. It may sound extreme but you don't win trophies 0-0. If you concede a goal you can score twice to win a game...If you keep a clean sheet there's no reason why should win it unless you have a good attack. Which is why i think good attackers are seen as being more valuable.

Like I said stopping goals is easier than scoring them. It takes more skill to score and create goals.
    I agree with your first paragraph, though i would say you can win with an amazing defence and an average attack (greece euro 2004 and perhaps you could say italy in euro 2000).

I have to disagree with you in the 2nd paragraph. I mean there's more top quality strikers than top quality central defenders in the world which would indicate that its harder to be a defender. Put the best defenders in the world up against the best attackers - usually the attacker comes out on top - Ronaldinho made Nesta and Terry look like amateurs on occasion, and not even Cannavaro could contain Thierry Henry.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.