liverpool
    60.98%

Stand by:
    Carson
    Defoe
    Young
    Reo-Coker
    Johnson

Bent, having scored over 20 goals this season, is not even included in the stand by 5. Walcott, meanwhile, having never even played at Highbury, goes straight into the XI. What's he actually done all season? Be bought by Arsenal, and play in the Reserves?

Coherent.

ReputationRep:
    Its interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Stand by:
    Carson
    Defoe
    Young
    Reo-Coker
    Johnson

Bent, having scored over 20 goals this season, is not even included in the stand by 5. Walcott, meanwhile, having never even played at Highbury, goes straight into the XI. What's he actually done all season? Be bought by Arsenal, and play in the Reserves?

Coherent.
    I think thats definately the biggest surprise. If bent was beaten to it by defoe or something, for the main side, people would have disputed it, but understood the decision, but not even in the stand-by players is... well, to be honest, an awful decision by Sven.

ReputationRep:
    A kick in the gonads for Defoe, Bent...and SWP

ReputationRep:
    Theres only 2 strikers that are actually fit and healthy - one is 17 year old who hasnt played premiership football, and the other is Peter Crouch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    A kick in the gonads for Defoe, Bent...and SWP
    I think SWP hasn't done enough to expect a place. I mean, he is good enough, but he hasn't played enough, and the requirements for the squad is that if you don't play at all you get in, but not playing too much and you don't...

ReputationRep:
    Walcott in and SWP isn't? what!? Has Sven been listening to Wenger's recent ramble about how he should pick Walcott? Bent has proved he can cut it at the top.

Considering Rooney is injured and Owen is 50/50, that forward line up will have the other countries laughing on the other side of their face!

The only thing interesting is the inclusion of Lennon.

ReputationRep:
    Wow!! I'm going to have a laugh watching the worldcup

ReputationRep:
    At least Arsenal fans will be able to see Walcott play now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This squad is absolutely ****ing hilarious. Sven seems to have decided a vague incompetence is no longer good enough for him and that a step up to absolute madman is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    At first I though this thread was another 'Who-will-travel-to-Germany' thread, but now I am just shocked! Overlooking Bent makes no sense at all, and why is he picking Walcott when he has no experience and hasn't even played in the Premiership yet? Very interesting selections.

I think Campbell should have been on the stand-by list at best, the man is a liability at the moment! Anton Ferdinand would have been a better choice perhaps, or Wes Brown. Also think it is a shame someone like Hargreaves gets a place and Phil Neville is overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    At least Arsenal fans will be able to see Walcott play now :rolleyes:
    HAHAHA, they'll finally be able to see him action....in an England shirt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evilheat)
    Also think it is a shame someone like Hargreaves gets a place and Phil Neville is overlooked.
    I'd drop both of them and bring in Kevin Nolan. You're not going to get anything new with those two players and who actually knows what Hargreaves does? He's the type of players who'll have no impact in a game, wether it's making mistakes or creating chances.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question: would Walcott have got in the squad had he still been at Southampton?! Maybe Sven wants the unknown factor, at least the opposition can't scout him :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evilheat)
    I think Campbell should have been on the stand-by list at best, the man is a liability at the moment! Anton Ferdinand would have been a better choice perhaps, or Wes Brown. Also think it is a shame someone like Hargreaves gets a place and Phil Neville is overlooked.
    I don't think Phil Neville is past his best now, and Anton Ferdinand has not quite enough experience to be called up to be honest, although with Walcott in the side, i can see your case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    I'd drop both of them and bring in Kevin Nolan. You're not going to get anything new with those two players and who actually knows what Hargreaves does? He's the type of players who'll have no impact in a game, wether it's making mistakes or creating chances.
    Yes, to be honest I have no idea if Hargreaves is performing or not, but at least Phil Neville can play is more versetaile than him.

ReputationRep:
    As another has sagely observed "Sorry Darren, your 22 goals this season were not quite as impressive as Walcott's 3 reserve team appearances for Arsenal".

ReputationRep:
    Defoe should of gone in ahead of Hargreaves, apart from that im happy with that team, Hopefully Walcott will show us what he can do!

ReputationRep:
    Who would win a dribbling-while-chasing-a-racing-pigeon race - Theo or Aaron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    As another has sagely observed "Sorry Darren, your 22 goals this season were not quite as impressive as Walcott's 3 reserve team appearances for Arsenal".
    3 of his goals for Southampton before the move weren't even imaginable by Rooney's high standards. A cross between the audacious left-footedness of Roberto Carlos whilst stuck with no support on the left touchline, the little-backlift approach of Ronaldinho and the guile and touch of Dennis Bergkamp.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.