Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy)
    Defoe should of gone in ahead of Hargreaves, apart from that im happy with that team, Hopefully Walcott will show us what he can do!
    Hargreaves, Walcott and Jenas shouldnt have been anywhere near the squad ( nor Crouch for that matter but he, for one, is no surprise in being included ) while SWP, Defoe and either Parker/P.Neville should have been included instead of them.

(Original post by Ron Stoppable)
    3 of his goals for Southampton before the move weren't even imaginable by Rooney's high standards. A cross between the audacious left-footedness of Roberto Carlos whilst stuck with no support on the left touchline, the little-backlift approach of Ronaldinho and the guile and touch of Dennis Bergkamp.
    For a low club, in a lower league. If Rooney and Owen were fit, then perhaps fair enough, but Rooney won't be and Owen's 50/50. Either way, Bent should clearly be in the 23.

Sven's clearly gearing up for a:

Robinson
    Neville Ferdinand Terry A Cole
    Beckham Lampard Carrick Gerrard
    J Cole
    Crouch/Owen

ReputationRep:
    3 of his goals for Southampton before the move weren't even imaginable by Rooney's high standards. A cross between the audacious left-footedness of Roberto Carlos whilst stuck with no support on the left touchline, the little-backlift approach of Ronaldinho and the guile and touch of Dennis Bergkamp.
    Welcome to the Championship.

ReputationRep:
    And do you say this seriously under the impression it in any way justifies his ludicrous inclusion? So showing a couple of nifty tricks or nice goals in a lower division is enough to qualify you for the England squad? How many thousands of people in England must rightly be pissed off that they werent included in the squad then. The only thing i find more astonishing than this insane squad is the number of people who are coming out to justify Walcotts inclusion - something which is totally unjustifiable. He will probably be a good player in the future, he may do alright at the WC, he in no way deserves being in the squad.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not good enough for your club, then you're not good enough for your country. Am I allowed to swear on here lol? But seriously no Bent, you're having an F'in joke. Not even a backup player aswell. Jesus. I don't think Sven wants England to score any goals in the WC.... 9 midfielders and 4 strikers, and highly likely at least 1 of them won't be fit. What is he playing at? Argh how can anyone be happy with that squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    And do you say this seriously under the impression it in any way justifies his ludicrous inclusion? So showing a couple of nifty tricks or nice goals in a lower division is enough to qualify you for the England squad? How many thousands of people in England must rightly be pissed off that they werent included in the squad then.
    Lee Trundle should be in :rolleyes:.

Like I said on another thread, Walcott's inclusion undermines the already fragile meritocracy of the England set-up. Defoe, Bent, Harewood etc all Premiership standard but are overlooked for a 17 year old reserve. Walcott was probably having his nappy changed when Sven phoned him up :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think Sven is using his last swan song to have a big grand *****ing laugh at england. What a disgrace, people wonder why we cant get past the quater finals with a manager like this at the helm. Jesus christ, i dont expect us to reach the quaters with that sh*t team.
    Theo pissing Walcott? That man with bags of first team experience, never mind european. Is sven having a bloody girafee? What an idiot, im glad his affair got exposed so we can show him the door. Incompotent sod.
    No SWP, our paciest right winger..so you pick mr bloody average owen hargreaves in his place. Well in Sven, your more of an idiot than i imagined. Must of been the cushiest job ever that. £4 million a year, to manage the team in a couple of friendlys were you play the okey cokey at half time, and then pick the circus XI.
    Andrew johnson in the backup 5, who is playing for a team who want even break into the premership. Ahead of a proven bent who has hit 20 goals this season, and doesn rely on penaltys..
    What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is the point in taking a risk on Walcott! if i'd seen the guy actually play against world class players for 90 min then maybe i'd see differntly, but whats the point in taking a risk. Sure defoe hasnt been in the best of form, but i'd rather have him in the squad than some 17 year old who cant even get a premiership game. And what the hell is with Hargreaves, has sven got some sort of family connection to this guy! I feel sorry for ledley king, sure he isnt fit, but one thing he has done is prove he can do a world class job in the holding role in midfield.

Nice one sven, we are looking for someone to step up now rooney is injured and you go and knock the confidence of bent and defoe by chosing some guy who hasnt even been tried and tested at the highest level. Nice to see he actually cares about england now he wont be carrying on.

ReputationRep:
    Im lost for words on the appaling state of that World cup team..

ReputationRep:
    Walcott is quicker than Henry though.

Still a risk, I wouldn't have minded if I didn't think it was just down to Sven's obsession with big clubs eg. Hargreaves - would he get near the squad if he wasn't a Bayern player? Very harsh on Darren Bent - what more does he have to do? And why does Walcott the unknown get in the squad when players like Nolan and Bent haven't had the chance from Sven to show what they can do. Even with Arsenal's injury probs he hasn't played for the first team.

Still, if you're reading this Theo, feel free to score an amazing hat trick every game - I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

ReputationRep:
    it is a bit of a wierd selection!

ReputationRep:
    bah i agree with most of your guys and am thinking.. what a damn joke!
    I think the biggest suprise to me is no SWP - im not even a Chelski fan and i know he hasnt played much BUT he has some damn pace and can impact a game soooo much because he has something different than most england players (pace) whereas Crouch (yay) is included cos of his height as something different.

Does he expect Walcott to be some mircle boy against some of the best defenders in the world? i feel bad for the kid tbh.. most likely get slaughtered.

ReputationRep:
    its a bit of a weird selection.. many i can agree with, but the stand in list is odd.. then why is hargreaves in??
    Why not bent.? why is defoe only stand in when walcott is in provisionally..
    I do think however walcott will see this as a chance to show himself .. and will try to prove his critics wrong..

I can understand SWP not being selected because he hasnt had much pitch time with chelsea.. big mistake for him going there! ..

King should have been selected

ReputationRep:
    Brazil's Press Conference Reaction to the England Squad

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5585...05E3ABB823D681

ReputationRep:
    I've no doubt that Walcott has massive potential, but he hasn't played PL or european football, or any sort of competitive football for that matter in the past 5 months. ok, so owen hasn't either, but he has experience of these tournaments. Fair enough considering Lennon though.

One last point... OWEN HARGREAVES. why oh why oh why.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seem shocked but who really are the 'surprise' emissions/inclusions?

King? If was fit he would go, simple as that. Not surprising
    Defoe? Average at best, shouldnt be in the squad imo
    Bent - Strong claim for a place, right to feel upset
    SWP? Unfortunate but he chose to go the Chelsea, hasnt really done enough. Therefore Lennon is ahead of him

Hargreaves? Shouldnt be in the squad but its hardly a surprise
    Jenas? Shouldnt be in there but we dont have another other CMs for cover if we go 5 in midfield, not too surprising
    Lennon? A lot of people calling for him to be brought in anyway and the reason SWP isnt in there
    Walcott? Ok a big gamble but he is hardly misplacing anyone of world class quality, Bent should have gone ahead of him but you cant make a case for Defoe. Sven will have done his homework, im confident of that.

Sven reckons Owen will be 100% fit and will be training with the squad. Maybe a bit restrictive on the striker front BUT a lot of people have been calling for 5 in midfield anyway so I dont see the problem.

So all in all its not really THAT surprising and all the ***** who have come on here slating Sven are talking *******s.

ReputationRep:
    why is everyone having a go at hargreaves? he's been in good form for bayern this season and he is a good backup player because he is extrmely versatile.

ReputationRep:
    I think the selection is quite interesting, it seems to me that now eriksson doesnt have to pick the players everyone expects to see as he knows that no-one can touch him, so he's picked the players he wants to pick.

Hargreaves shouldn't be there with Nolan in his place instead, also i think picking johnson for the stand by instead of bent is a bit of a vote of no confidence for bent, but charltons poor form might have cost him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    why is everyone having a go at hargreaves? he's been in good form for bayern this season and he is a good backup player because he is extrmely versatile.
    Because he plays sooo badly for england every time, sloppy mistakes and just :mad:
    I mean you can argue Gerrad under performs for England, but hes never shockingly Hargreaves bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Sven will have done his homework, im confident of that.

Sven reckons Owen will be 100% fit and will be training with the squad. Maybe a bit restrictive on the striker front BUT a lot of people have been calling for 5 in midfield anyway so I dont see the problem.
    I totally agree with that.. the fact that sven has had so many chats with arsene wenger about walcott shows that he wanted to make the right decision.. wenger did say it would be a gamble with him being so young but why not give him ago?? yes its a big competition, but u never know what people can pull out of the bag..

Im sure owen will be fine for the world cup aswell.. the fact that he hasnt had any games for 4 months is on the down side, but hopefully he will play a part in shearers testimonial and again with england B.. its just a case of him training and bringing himself up to scratch

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.