Announcements
  • View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    Because he plays sooo badly for england every time, sloppy mistakes and just :mad:
    I mean you can argue Gerrad under performs for England, but hes never shockingly Hargreaves bad.
    backpass in the france game? how much worse do you wanna get? Face it Gerrard has been terrible for England.

by your logic gerrard and terry should be dropped from the squad.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is entitled to a couple of mistakes, everyone is human after all but every time i can actually remember Hargreaves player (who usually remembers such boring/rubbish/mediocore playing..) he just doesnt do anything at all...
    Admittedly i havent seen Bayern playing so perhaps im being too quick to judge... but grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Everyone seem shocked but who really are the 'surprise' emissions/inclusions?

King? If was fit he would go, simple as that. Not surprising
    Defoe? Average at best, shouldnt be in the squad imo
    Bent - Strong claim for a place, right to feel upset
    SWP? Unfortunate but he chose to go the Chelsea, hasnt really done enough. Therefore Lennon is ahead of him

Hargreaves? Shouldnt be in the squad but its hardly a surprise
    Jenas? Shouldnt be in there but we dont have another other CMs for cover if we go 5 in midfield, not too surprising
    Lennon? A lot of people calling for him to be brought in anyway and the reason SWP isnt in there
    Walcott? Ok a big gamble but he is hardly misplacing anyone of world class quality, Bent should have gone ahead of him but you cant make a case for Defoe. Sven will have done his homework, im confident of that.

Sven reckons Owen will be 100% fit and will be training with the squad. Maybe a bit restrictive on the striker front BUT a lot of people have been calling for 5 in midfield anyway so I dont see the problem.

So all in all its not really THAT surprising and all the ***** who have come on here slating Sven are talking *******s.
    Anyone here who's talking **** are those backing Walcott ahead of Bent and cannot even justify it apart from the small fact they support l'Arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Robinson, James, Green...3

G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole, Campbell, Carragher, Bridge...7

Beckham, Carrick, Lampard, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Jenas, Downing, J Cole, Lennon...9

Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Walcott...4

Standby players
    Defoe, Carson, Re-Coker, A Johnson, Young
    :mad:

Plenty of players that are better/more suitable, IMHO, than some of the ones here. Campbell's not done much this season, surely somebody like Wes Brown would be better (he's got a good prtnership with Rio in the middle, or can play on the right), and neither really has Bridge.

Not keen on Hargreaves in their either, SWP probably would be better, but he ruined his chances going for the money at Chelsea rather than getting the games at City, or Richardson (who can slot in at left back if needed).

Bent definately deserves to be in ahead of Crouch, who I'm guessing is only there as he has some experience. In some ways Walcott could be useful as he is an unknown quantity to the opposition, but then again he's unknown to the rest of us too.

Meh, we'll just have to wait and see I guess...

ReputationRep:
    ^^ lol...
    Someone said something about Walcott being faster than Henry.. which is fair enough but Cisse has shown on a number of occasions.. pace doesnt mean quality. If Walcott is faster than Henry and has half Henry's touch i suppose id be happy enough... shame about Cisse though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    why is everyone having a go at hargreaves? he's been in good form for bayern this season and he is a good backup player because he is extrmely versatile.
    Because when we see him being picked time and again ahead of such players like Kevin Nolan, it's doesn't make sense. Nolan has shown what a great player he is in the last 2/3 seasons and it would do no harm dropping Hargreaves off.

It's all too well playing good in ther German league where 40yr olds will find the pace slow. He brings nothing more to the team than the skill of passing to a player 3 metres next to him.

ReputationRep:
    why is everyone having a go at hargreaves? he's been in good form for bayern this season and he is a good backup player because he is extrmely versatile.
    Because he is Terrible. We have tons of better CMs id see in the squad. Does he even play CM? He is average at best. He is a terrible pick.
    Now ive calmed down from my initial shock..ill have a better analysis..
    Campbell Terrible choice. He still isnt mentally fit, and as a player is all over the place. Cant distinguish his left foot from his elbow and could easily of been replaced by someone else.
    Hargreaves Not a suprise at all. Sven brown noses this boy, for the reason that he has a bit of everything. But can he actually offer anything to england? All his apperances suggest no..Has he ever contributed to a single England goal? Total waste of a Midfield slot.
    Jenas Quite disturbing
    Walcott Sven is obviously having a bloody laugh here. I dont care how well he has played in training, and if he was impressed him. He hasnt had a single minute experience of football at the biggest stage. You stick him in a world cup game, and hes going to freeze. How can you expect him to take on some of the best teams int he world when he is sh*tting himself?
    A Johnson Terrible. Is he even the champions top scorer? He was worthy of a place in the england friendlys simply for a experiment, he is not close to the standard expected for the england squad.
    Bent This lad must be absolutely gutted. What does he need to do to warrant a place in the england team? 20 goals, at the highest level in football and he is left out for a 17 year old kid with a rocket up his ass.
    SWP Not exactly unexpected really, lennon is on top form at the momment and SWP couldnt buy himself some match time. One is match fit, one isnt.

ReputationRep:
    I think Walcott might develop into a very good player but considering he's never played for arsenal it's a complete joke to pick him

it's amazing what playing well for one season at southampton can do for you really, kevin davies gets a 7.25 million move to blackburn, james beattie was it 7m to everton? walcott 7 to arsenal, richards wasn't cheap for spurs

i think england lack quality strikers outside of rooney and owen anyway but bent should be in the squad, to be honest we should prob get the SAS up front..shearer and sheringham ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    Because when we see him being picked time and again ahead of such players like Kevin Nolan, it's doesn't make sense. Nolan has shown what a great player he is in the last 2/3 seasons and it would do no harm dropping Hargreaves off.

It's all too well playing good in ther German league where 40yr olds will find the pace slow. He brings nothing more to the team than the skill of passing to a player 3 metres next to him.
    well hargreaves can play the holding role, while i dont think nolan can. Hargreaves is much more tactically aware, and the fact he can play in so many positions is very useful. He's also been playing well with a top side like Bayern, and has CL and big tournament experience.

I think you're also too quick to dismiss the Bundesliga - ok it is not as good as EPL/liga/serie A but it is in the tier below.

ReputationRep:
    well hargreaves can play the holding role, while i dont think nolan can.
    Dont fool yourself into thinking that Sven is going to do something as drastic as actually employ him in that role.

ReputationRep:
    backpass in the france game? how much worse do you wanna get? Face it Gerrard has been terrible for England.

by your logic gerrard and terry should be dropped from the squad.
    Not really. Not when he says that Hargreaves has been worse. By that logic Hargreaves can be dropped without having to justify not dropping Gerrard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    Not really. Not when he says that Hargreaves has been worse. By that logic Hargreaves can be dropped without having to justify not dropping Gerrard
    Well that was only his opinion, doesnt mean he's right. Gerrard has been bad for England for a few years now.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt go as far as to say hes downright bad.. just under performed for England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Dont fool yourself into thinking that Sven is going to do something as drastic as actually employ him in that role.
    why not? if England are leading a game, Hargreaves may well be used in a defensive midfield role. He can also play right back which is good considering theres no replacement for gary neville.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refused)
    Anyone here who's talking **** are those backing Walcott ahead of Bent and cannot even justify it apart from the small fact they support l'Arse.
    Who is saying Walcott ahead of Bent idiot?

In my post I said 'Bent should have gone ahead of him'. Bugger off you spurs ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    I wouldnt go as far as to say hes downright bad.. just under performed for England
    just what i'd expect form a liverpool fan :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    Bent definately deserves to be in ahead of Crouch, who I'm guessing is only there as he has some experience. In some ways Walcott could be useful as he is an unknown quantity to the opposition, but then again he's unknown to the rest of us too.

Meh, we'll just have to wait and see I guess...
    Bent ahead of Crouch? What the hell does Bent offer that Owen doesnt? Crouch is a different option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Bent ahead of Crouch? What the hell does Bent offer that Owen doesnt? Crouch is a different option
    he's fully fit and he offers a good backup to Owen incase he gets injured.

ReputationRep:
    Because he is Terrible. We have tons of better CMs id see in the squad. Does he even play CM? He is average at best. He is a terrible pick.
    Now ive calmed down from my initial shock..ill have a better analysis..
    Campbell Terrible choice. He still isnt mentally fit, and as a player is all over the place. Cant distinguish his left foot from his elbow and could easily of been replaced by someone else..
    Possibily but who else is there? Wes Brown? LOL

Jenas Quite disturbing.
    Ok so what happens if Gerrard of Lampard get injured? or Sven goes 5 in midfield. Who are you going to play there? Carragher? No ****ing chance. Dont give me Nolan either

Walcott Sven is obviously having a bloody laugh here. I dont care how well he has played in training, and if he was impressed him. He hasnt had a single minute experience of football at the biggest stage. You stick him in a world cup game, and hes going to freeze. How can you expect him to take on some of the best teams int he world when he is sh*tting himself?.
    Yeah just like Rooney/Owen/Ronaldo/Pele all had bags of experience. They were all ****ing terrible 1st time out werent they? Idiot

A Johnson Terrible. Is he even the champions top scorer? He was worthy of a place in the england friendlys simply for a experiment, he is not close to the standard expected for the england squad. .
    Backup, who is ahead of him. You seem to laugh at all our players but then dont say who we should have instead. It's like your laughing at us as a footballing nation. I know Bent should be ahead to him but if you take him out the picture there isnt anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Owen is currently injured, a major doubt, rooney, even more of a doubt, which means england will be relying on crouch and walcott. Crouch is an overpriced and overrated player, he played relatively well at southampton and still hasn't done much at liverpool to warrent a prominent place in the WC squad. And Walcott, who? He is a good player but as Bobby Robson said, too much of a risk, joke sven a joke.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.